I Really Want To Like My Glock 21SF, BUT...

This is a discussion on I Really Want To Like My Glock 21SF, BUT... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range this morning with my Glock 21SF and Sig P239 DAK and shot 100 rounds with each, along with a friend. ...

Thread: I Really Want To Like My Glock 21SF, BUT...

I Really Want To Like My Glock 21SF, BUT...

I went to the range this morning with my Glock 21SF and Sig P239 DAK and shot 100 rounds with each, along with a friend.

I absolutely love the DAK trigger on the Sig, however I'm having a real hard time warming up the the Glock trigger.

On two prior range trips with the Glock, I was getting good tight groups, but everything was exactly left 2-3 inches on the target. I had the Glock armorer at the range check the gun to see if the sights were OK, and he verified they were good to go. He said I maybe wasn't using enough finger in the trigger.

With all my other guns, I use the center of the pad of the first joint of my trigger finger. The Glock guy told me to try to use more finger, almost to the crease instead. So I tried this, and viola, was getting good accurate results, BUT with a major problem!

The damn trigger now pinches and rubs my finger, so that by about 40 rounds into it, my finger was getting sore! Ugh.

How can I prevent this, or is this something I have to live with? I thought about putting a band-aid across the tip of my finger where it seems to get pinched and rubbed.

Any ideas? I really want to like this Glock, but this trigger finger issue may be a deal breaker.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Pick up a P2000 or P30!

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Pick up a P2000 or P30!
    I might!

I have a USP45, same size and caliber as the G21, but is a DREAM to shoot! It sits at my bedside as my "bump in the night" gun.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Maybe look at a Hogue Grip or something similar which will position your hand further back which will put your trigger pad on correctly. Can't give you any advice since I own a P2000!

Do the 3.5# connector/NY1 spring combo and you might like it a lot better. Trigger finger soreness with a Glock is usually attributed to the shooter letting off the trigger and letting the reset slap the finger on the rebound. Try holding the trigger to the rear after the shot is fired. It does take some conscious effort to start with, but you'll get used to it once you practice it, then it will become habit. Ride the trigger back to the reset or totally forward if you want, but don't let the trigger slap your finger. You're probably not even aware this is what's happening.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes. If you put in the 3.5 lb. trigger on the Glock, it will be a lot better. I did not like the stock trigger connectors on mine either, and changed them ASAP.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    I didn't like it either at first. Follow the above comments and try again.

Nothing good is ever easy.

I've owned several other brands of handguns. They were all good, but none of them offer the combination of light weight, ease of shooting, easy maintenance, fast first shots, easy repairs, cheap parts, zillions of accessories. (I have two Glocks and a 1911. That's all I need.)

Work on it. I had every complaint you had about your Glock.

Shooting left? Change your finger position, use the crush grip and apply more grip with your left hand (assuming you're right handed) about 60-40.

Things will be fine.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by V65magnafan View Post
    I didn't like it either at first. Follow the above comments and try again.

Nothing good is ever easy.

I've owned several other brands of handguns. They were all good, but none of them offer the combination of light weight, ease of shooting, easy maintenance, fast first shots, easy repairs, cheap parts, zillions of accessories. (I have two Glocks and a 1911. That's all I need.)

Work on it. I had every complaint you had about your Glock.

Shooting left? Change your finger position, use the crush grip and apply more grip with your left hand (assuming you're right handed) about 60-40.

Things will be fine.

I'm not so sure I want to jump through a bunch of hoops just to shoot a Glock half decently, when I can pick up every other gun I have and shoot comfortably and well. It just may boil down to the fact that maybe the Glock isn't for me.

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I'm not so sure I want to jump through a bunch of hoops just to shoot a Glock half decently, when I can pick up every other gun I have and shoot comfortably and well. It just may boil down to the fact that maybe the Glock isn't for me.
    Your choice. I decided that the safety factor of that easy first shot, the ease of maintenance, the fact that I can practice in 9mm but carry in .40S&W with no relearning necessary. I like the fact that it's light in weight for all day carry. I can go without cleaning it for a few boxes and not worry about a malfunction. And, I don't worry about scratches, sweat, anything. It's a worry-free tool.

Just as an example, I tried Sig P226. Great gun, but it had a high bore axis, so it activated some arthritis in my wrist from the impact axis. And the first shot DA was annoying in competition.

Still if I want deeper cover, or just a different flavor, I carry a 1911. It's a whole different philosophy.

I'm a bit more accurate with the 1911, but I'm going for defensive shooting, not target bullseyes.

Anyway, the Ayoob crush grip is the defensive grip I use. Try it.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

I had the same problem with the glock 30. Sold it got a Taurus pt145 mill pro. Problem solved and never looked back.

Links