Defensive Carry banner

4" Will Work

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  jem102 
#1 ·
25 years ago I had a Colt Lt. weight commander that I carried around for 8 or 10 years until the frame cracked at the slide stop hole and I got rid of it because Colt said it could not be repaired. I have always wanted another and thought to myself the next time I will go steel. Last week I happened to get out for lunch and stopped by the gun store (never a smart move when you are stressed from work) to see what they had. The counter guy said they didn't have any Colt Commanders in stock but he did have one of these in steel if a 4" rather than 4 1/4" would be OK. Once it was in my hand I said, well OK! After I got home and gave it a good cleaning the Kimber and I discovered Sarge was giving $10.00 off on his grips and when I saw this pair I said "these were made for you little girl".
Got to the range yesterday for break-in. First 74 rounds not a hitch, on 75 the slide hung just out of battery. One tap on the back and it ran home. 76-185 ran perfect with a quick clean and re-oil at 110. Round 186 hung exactly like 75 and a tap put it into battery. As I think back on it I believe I was getting lax those 2 times and limp wristed the gun. Anyway 187-250 ran fine. I used 2 brands of hard ball, my hand loaded hard ball and 2 brands of HP's. The last 20 were Fed. 230 gr. HydraShoks which is my favorite .45ACP load because "I" have never had and/or seen a gun they would not work well in and they did not disappoint me from the Kimber. All in all very pleased.

Thanks for reading along and let me know what you think of the pistol.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't know that there is anything really different about it compared to other Kimbers. I got it because its all steel and set up like the 1911's I am used to with internal extractor and will take all the conventional parts so I can upgrade it if I want. I did not want stainless or 2 tone so the dark gray appealed to me. I picked up a couple of the 3" guns while I was there and didn't like them and/or the shortened grip frame. The SIS just fit my hand and that was the decider.

#4 ·
That's a beautiful weapon!

I have the Kimber Tactical Pro II and maybe one day will add the SIS Pro to my collection... 4" is an excellent choice for concealed carry!
:yup:

#7 ·
Very nice pistola...I think we have a 'winner' here...:yup::bier::hand10:

#11 · (Edited)
It will take more break-in round to really know anything. FWIW, a 1911 should work even if limp-wristed a bit, and I am serious. If an imperfect grip results in malfs with 1911, then I personally believe there are other issues causing the weapon to operate too close to the margin of reliability. Of course, this is one reason I got away from depending on any 1911 with less than 5" of barrel, about a decade ago.

I do hope your Kimber finishes its break-in as a reliable pistol. One of my three Kimbers was finally reliable enough to trust, once I ditched the original slide stops and used only Colt or Metalform magazines.
And, eventually, I decided that even that was too finicky.

Edited to add: Sorry, I did not mean to "sound" so negative. You have a beautiful pistol, and those grips are truly wonderful. Be patient if things don't go right. You may have to ditch some parts, as I did.

#12 ·
It will take more break-in round to really know anything. FWIW, a 1911 should work even if limp-wristed a bit, and I am serious. If an imperfect grip results in malfs with 1911, then I personally believe there are other issues causing the weapon to operate too close to the margin of reliability. Of course, this is one reason I got away from depending on any 1911 with less than 5" of barrel, about a decade ago.

I do hope your Kimber finishes its break-in as a reliable pistol. One of my three Kimbers was finally reliable enough to trust, once I ditched the original slide stops and used only Colt or Metalform magazines.
And, eventually, I decided that even that was too finicky.
I agree. When it gives me 200+ with no stoppage its fit to carry. Having only 2 in the first 250 rounds and the type that they were indicates to me it will be fine by 500.

#20 ·
I have had some nice grips before but none have fit the frame edge to edge without being too large for a good grip but his just seem to flow. I also like the MSH pin covered, gives the gun a "finished look.

#28 ·
Mark your magazines and next time you get a stoppage check which magazine it is,if it's the same magazine everytime then I'd either get new springs and follower,or pitch it in the junk drawer,or buy some wilson combat for carry,they feed great,and Dillon Precision is selling 8 rounders for 25.00 ea.

#30 ·
jem102,

Very nice pistol you have there!! I have looked at those Kimber SIS's for a while now. I agree with you that the 4" guns' will work. My stainless Wilson Combat Professional has for several years now. I personally prefer the balance of the 4" gun over the 5"....but that's just my personal opinion. Heres mine!

Heres how I carry it daily.

#31 ·
jem102,

Very nice pistol you have there!! I have looked at those Kimber SIS's for a while now. I agree with you that the 4" guns' will work. My stainless Wilson Combat Professional has for several years now. I personally prefer the balance of the 4" gun over the 5"....but that's just my personal opinion. Heres mine!

I was a little concerned at first about no bushing but see now that it is not a problem. VERY nice Wilson you have there and great carry rig!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.