4" Will Work

This is a discussion on 4" Will Work within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 25 years ago I had a Colt Lt. weight commander that I carried around for 8 or 10 years until the frame cracked at the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4" Will Work

4" Will Work

25 years ago I had a Colt Lt. weight commander that I carried around for 8 or 10 years until the frame cracked at the slide stop hole and I got rid of it because Colt said it could not be repaired. I have always wanted another and thought to myself the next time I will go steel. Last week I happened to get out for lunch and stopped by the gun store (never a smart move when you are stressed from work) to see what they had. The counter guy said they didn't have any Colt Commanders in stock but he did have one of these in steel if a 4" rather than 4 1/4" would be OK. Once it was in my hand I said, well OK! After I got home and gave it a good cleaning the Kimber and I discovered Sarge was giving $10.00 off on his grips and when I saw this pair I said "these were made for you little girl".
    Got to the range yesterday for break-in. First 74 rounds not a hitch, on 75 the slide hung just out of battery. One tap on the back and it ran home. 76-185 ran perfect with a quick clean and re-oil at 110. Round 186 hung exactly like 75 and a tap put it into battery. As I think back on it I believe I was getting lax those 2 times and limp wristed the gun. Anyway 187-250 ran fine. I used 2 brands of hard ball, my hand loaded hard ball and 2 brands of HP's. The last 20 were Fed. 230 gr. HydraShoks which is my favorite .45ACP load because "I" have never had and/or seen a gun they would not work well in and they did not disappoint me from the Kimber. All in all very pleased.

Thanks for reading along and let me know what you think of the pistol.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

RMS
    Nice looking gun and grips.
    Hope you enjoy!
    Again, I like the grips.

Nice pistol man. I am always interested in the SIS model of Kimbers, but don't really know what makes it different. What do they do different to the SIS model?

VIP Member
    That's a beautiful weapon!

I have the Kimber Tactical Pro II and maybe one day will add the SIS Pro to my collection... 4" is an excellent choice for concealed carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by superthumbs View Post
    Nice pistol man. I am always interested in the SIS model of Kimbers, but don't really know what makes it different. What do they do different to the SIS model?
    I don't know that there is anything really different about it compared to other Kimbers. I got it because its all steel and set up like the 1911's I am used to with internal extractor and will take all the conventional parts so I can upgrade it if I want. I did not want stainless or 2 tone so the dark gray appealed to me. I picked up a couple of the 3" guns while I was there and didn't like them and/or the shortened grip frame. The SIS just fit my hand and that was the decider.

Very nice. Waiting for my young J frame to grow up into a nice Kimber 1911.

Very nice pistola...I think we have a 'winner' here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by superthumbs View Post
    The SIS doesn't use a full length guide rod, and is a "series 70" type setup. I could be wrong, and I'm sure many will tell me if I am.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    The SIS doesn't use a full length guide rod, and is a "series 70" type setup. I could be wrong, and I'm sure many will tell me if I am.
    Is a 70 set up and does have a full length guide rod.

You are right...those grips were made for that pistol. Perfect color balance. Nice piece.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    25 years ago I had a Colt Lt. weight commander that I carried around for 8 or 10 years until the frame cracked at the slide stop hole and I got rid of it because Colt said it could not be repaired. I have always wanted another and thought to myself the next time I will go steel. Last week I happened to get out for lunch and stopped by the gun store (never a smart move when you are stressed from work) to see what they had. The counter guy said they didn't have any Colt Commanders in stock but he did have one of these in steel if a 4" rather than 4 1/4" would be OK. Once it was in my hand I said, well OK! After I got home and gave it a good cleaning the Kimber and I discovered Sarge was giving $10.00 off on his grips and when I saw this pair I said "these were made for you little girl".
    Got to the range yesterday for break-in. First 74 rounds not a hitch, on 75 the slide hung just out of battery. One tap on the back and it ran home. 76-185 ran perfect with a quick clean and re-oil at 110. Round 186 hung exactly like 75 and a tap put it into battery. As I think back on it I believe I was getting lax those 2 times and limp wristed the gun. Anyway 187-250 ran fine. I used 2 brands of hard ball, my hand loaded hard ball and 2 brands of HP's. The last 20 were Fed. 230 gr. HydraShoks which is my favorite .45ACP load because "I" have never had and/or seen a gun they would not work well in and they did not disappoint me from the Kimber. All in all very pleased.

Thanks for reading along and let me know what you think of the pistol.
    It will take more break-in round to really know anything. FWIW, a 1911 should work even if limp-wristed a bit, and I am serious. If an imperfect grip results in malfs with 1911, then I personally believe there are other issues causing the weapon to operate too close to the margin of reliability. Of course, this is one reason I got away from depending on any 1911 with less than 5" of barrel, about a decade ago.

I do hope your Kimber finishes its break-in as a reliable pistol. One of my three Kimbers was finally reliable enough to trust, once I ditched the original slide stops and used only Colt or Metalform magazines.
    And, eventually, I decided that even that was too finicky.

Edited to add: Sorry, I did not mean to "sound" so negative. You have a beautiful pistol, and those grips are truly wonderful. Be patient if things don't go right. You may have to ditch some parts, as I did.
    Last edited by Rexster; September 7th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    It will take more break-in round to really know anything. FWIW, a 1911 should work even if limp-wristed a bit, and I am serious. If an imperfect grip results in malfs with 1911, then I personally believe there are other issues causing the weapon to operate too close to the margin of reliability. Of course, this is one reason I got away from depending on any 1911 with less than 5" of barrel, about a decade ago.

I do hope your Kimber finishes its break-in as a reliable pistol. One of my three Kimbers was finally reliable enough to trust, once I ditched the original slide stops and used only Colt or Metalform magazines.
    And, eventually, I decided that even that was too finicky.
    I agree. When it gives me 200+ with no stoppage its fit to carry. Having only 2 in the first 250 rounds and the type that they were indicates to me it will be fine by 500.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Is a 70 set up and does have a full length guide rod.
    I stand corrected. It's also SS
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Beautiful SIS

I also have a Kimber with Sarge's grips and love it.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Beautiful pistol!
    [One Nation Under God]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links