Defensive Carry banner

Still Looking for next purchase in a CC .45

2K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  varob 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a S&W CS45 now and it's great - but - looking for another CC .45 that has an accessory light rail.

Now I'm between these two:
Glock 30 (GLock's Baby .45)

Taurus PT145 (Taurus's SubCompact .45)
=============================
Spec's for both (if my sources are correct)

Glock 30:
Length: 6.77 Inches
Height: 4.76 Inches
Width: 1.27 Inches
Barrel Length: 3.78 Inches
Weight: 23.99 oz

Taurus PT145:
Length: 6.125 Inches
Height: 5.125 Inches
Width: ??? Inches
Barrel Length: 3.25 Inches
Weight: 22.2 oz

Several good reviews for both - here's one for the Taurus:
Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP Pistol

Ok - Opinions and comments please.......

See less See more
#2 ·
The Glock 30 (I have the sf) is one of the most accurate Glocks from my experience (having several). Also I think it's a law in many states that if one owns more than 2 pistols one has to be a Glock. Careful, Glocks can be addicting. :king:

#3 ·
Well I may be the wrong person to answer, but is this even a contest? Glock30 (or SF) all the way!:wave:

#5 ·
I have both of these handguns the G30 and PT145, and while I love both of them, no contest the G30 wins hands down. I love the way the PT145 feels in my hand, but I have had a lot of reliability issues with mine. The PT145 has had several issues with jamming and not wanting to feed properly. I have read a lot of reviews and many have these same issues, I have tried several different types of ammo with no answer, some blame it on the magazines from the factory. I have not had to deal with Taurus CS, but most say it is a night mare to try and get replacment mags from them or anything else. I would love to put this little gun in my EDC rotation but I just can't find it dependable enough. I am sure some have them with no problems but as for mine, I will probably sell it and move on. IMHO you won't go wrong with the G30, I carry it everyday and it eats anything I feed it. I have never had an issue with it, great gun. I hope this helps you out.
Good Luck. :bier:

#9 ·
I have had my Pt145 now for about 1 year and have never had a mis-fire or any issue's with any of the 4 mags i own. It fires anything i put in it and it'd dead on at the range. It's my everyday ccw. For the money it's way to go, it's half the price of a Glock.

#10 ·
G30, no contest:

- It's likely to be 100% reliable with all kinds of ammo
- There is a HUGE selection of aftermarket parts for it
- It is very simple to customize yourself - no gunsmith required
- It has very few parts and is very easy to disassemble
- Its barrel is 1/2" longer, more velocity
- Its tennifer treated slide and barrel is the best finish available
- Its height (grip) is 1/4" shorter, a bit more comfortable carry and less printing

#11 ·
I have the Taurus PT745 in my pocket right now. I have not had it very long, but I have broke it in with no problems. I am not an expert gun man, but have not found anything wrong with this pistol. The trigger on this one is very nice. Much nicer than the run of the mill issue .45 in the Navy. 28.2 oz with 6+1 and an Uncle Mike's holster. Fits comfortably in the top front pocket of my cargo shorts. My only other recent point of reference is a P3AT which has a long double action trigger.

Pistols are just a tool for me. I am looking for the minimum cost weapon that is going to go bang each time. Perhaps someday, I will become more of a collector and be more knowledgeable of the different brands.

#13 ·
If you look at it as an investment, the Glock is the way to go. If you don't like the Glock you could sell it for 95% of retail (maybe 110% in some markets) and buy the Taurus. I've got no problems with Taurus, but if you buy it and don't like it, your resale value will be less. OMO.

For the record, my EDC is Taurus 1911ar

#18 ·
I happen to like my Ruger P345, conceals well, handles well, is reliable...if my work demanded heavy firepower [ammo] or I lived in a high crime area or I [or my family] were exposed to severe threats, I happen to like the FNP45 - it's big, but it can be concealed...and it provides .45 firepower...

#19 ·
wheel in his reply wrote: It's likely to be 100% reliable with all kinds of ammo
- There is a HUGE selection of aftermarket parts for it
- It is very simple to customize yourself - no gunsmith required
- It has very few parts and is very easy to disassemble
- Its barrel is 1/2" longer, more velocity
- Its tennifer treated slide and barrel is the best finish available
- Its height (grip) is 1/4" shorter, a bit more comfortable carry and less printing
Wheel has summed it up well, I agree with him 100%; in addition, it is one of the softest shooting 45s I've ever run.

#20 ·
If I were in the market for a compact .45 ACP, I'd be looking hard at a Kimber Ultra Carry or Glock 36. I like slim, single-stacks for concealed carry.

#21 ·
go with the G30 or G36. I bought a millpro and dont trust it. I personally hate the trigger. I bought the millpro because I thought I needed a manual safety. After carrying for a year, I have realized that a manual safety isnt needed if the gun stays in the holster. But, this is just my experience and opinion. Also look at the XD and the M&P.

#22 ·
I had the .40 cal version of the Taurus (PT 140). While it shot EVERYTHING I threw at it and never had a malfunction, I could tell the quality wasn't there. I'm not a Glock fan by any means, but if it's between those two...I'd get the Glock personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.