Defensive Carry banner

Para Ordnance PDA?

8K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  michael t 
#1 ·
Thinking, just thinking at this point of selling my CZ Rami and replacing it with the Para Ordnance PDA. Anybody have one and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Maybe I should explain why, I appendix carry and the Rami is a bit thicker than the PDA so I think it may a little easier to carry my way.

#3 ·
I have a 9mm PDA and it's my favorite carry weapon. Someone is bound to mention the black "Para-coat" finish isn't the greatest. Yes, I have some holster wear. It's fine with me - give the gun a little "character."

#4 ·
before you lay $1k for a Para, go to M1911.org and check out the Para section and see the problems that those guys are having...I bought a PDA and it was a definite lemon...Para replaced it because it was so out of spec...you couldn't shoot a full mag without it jamming or hitting you directly between the eyes with the brass.Para's customer service is a joke...there are fellows on the 1911 board that have had guns there for over 5 months and Para won't return their calls. I had to spend $70 to ship it back to para on my dime...when I got the PDA back I traded it for a Para Slim Hawg and it was a bigger lemon...it would lock up cycleing the slide by hand...Still don't know why...you would have to take it apart to get it to work...I shot over 200 rds thu it trying to get it to work and it got progressively worse... I know guys on here have them and love them but I hate to see somebody get that same feeling I got when I realized that I had spent over $1000 for a gun that factory could care less if it worked or not..it is a bad feeling in your stomach. I really wanted them to work...I had even ordered a custom holster for it...somebody mentioned the parakote finish...I had my PDA for 5 days and the finish was wore to a shiny point on the end of the slide.... I never carried this pistol..the factory told me that it was due to holster wear!!! and that it wasn't covered under warranty... just trying to help...I lost alot of money on my Para ordeal..and every time it goes back..it is on you...they will not pay for return shipping...please check out the other site ...I sure wish I had...I DEFINITELY wouldn't have bought a PARA...Robbie

#5 ·
Para's quality control has definitely been spotty over the years.

I personally wouldn't buy one, simply because I've heard too many negative things from people who've actually owned them, and from instructors who had students that experienced significant problems.

#9 ·
I have had a couple of P-14.45 s never any more serious problems than with 70 or 80 Series Colts, replaced springs (especially in the mags) and broke an extractor spring (my fault) very accurate.

IIRC they recently relocated to the US from Canada - this may have caused some issues with customer service...

my stainless never chipped :wink: but the blue one wore off...

YMMV

#10 ·
I really wanted the small 45's to work...I even ordered a custom holster for it...I have never shot a full mag thru a Para that worked right... I was so disappointed... I wound up trading the Slim Hawg for a PPS and some money... I lost my tail dealing with Para...I won't lose any money on a Para again.

#13 ·
I really wanted to like my para ccw in 45, but it just wouldn't work. However I have no experience with the pda. If you are considering a thin metal 9mm I would suggest you have a look at the kahr mk9. Sweet trigger, solid workmanship and it always works. I love mine and I carry it everyday (often appendix).

Reactions: Cokeman
#15 ·
Had one of them and loved it, had a full size and loved it.
I foolishly allowed myself to be talked out of them.
Well, maybe not so foolish.
My grandson loves them now.

#16 ·
great gun

I picked up a used para 12 2 weeks ago for a song (thought I misheard the price or price was wrong =ATM buy) Think PO was worried about the reliability reading all this INTERNET stuff told me it had a FTF as it would not feed last round only had mag, so I replaced the mag spring with a WOLF +10 & cleaned the gun ....it has been a tack nailer incredible how comfortable it shoots and very tight groups have run ~500 rounds through it with no feeding issues,,, best value $ great has now replaced my trusty SIG for CCW ...13 rounds of 45 ain't bad definitely a keeper

#23 ·
:wave:
I picked up a used para 12 2 weeks ago for a song (thought I misheard the price or price was wrong =ATM buy) Think PO was worried about the reliability reading all this INTERNET stuff told me it had a FTF as it would not feed last round only had mag, so I replaced the mag spring with a WOLF +10 & cleaned the gun ....it has been a tack nailer incredible how comfortable it shoots and very tight groups have run ~500 rounds through it with no feeding issues,,, best value $ great has now replaced my trusty SIG for CCW ...13 rounds of 45 ain't bad definitely a keeper
Punctuation and sentences please! :blink: Some of us old farts aren't wired for today's abbreviated writing style. :wave:

#17 · (Edited)
I h.ave always wanted a small, lightweight, pocket carry 1911. Nothing has ever fit the bill because condition 1 carry is too dangerous in a pocket. The LDA trigger not only solves that problem but it is an absolutely excellent trigger. I didn't think I would ever say that about a double action trigger after being a 1911 fan for so many years, but Para Ordnance has definitely solved that problem. I have had no problems with this gun in over 5 years and have never experienced any kind of a failure to fire or eject. A friend has one and was fooling around with it when he really didn't know what he was doing and broke the safety. He called para-ordnance and told them what he had done and that the gun was about 4 years old. There were no questions. They sent a prepaid mailer and said the gun had a lifetime warranty. It was fixed and returned to him free of charge in about 10 days. No, I don't really care for the finish on the gun but plan to remedy that soon by having the gun refinished. It is worth it to me because I absolutely love this pistol and plan to keep it forever. As a shooter for over 50 years and an ex police firearms instructor I highly recommended it

#18 ·
I have a P14-45 that is older than their current company. As a result, it is not covered by their lifetime warranty. In spite of that, I look upon it fondly. I have several thousand rounds through mine and have had very few problems. It is, far and away, the most accurate pistol I own. The only problems I ever had were a few failure to enter battery, bit I related that to the fact I was shooting my own reloads and I probably need to replace the springs.

I have heard many, less than complimentary, remarks concering the current Para-USA models, but I can only say mine has worked well for years. It has been put away since I transitioned to 9mm, but I am reluctant to part with it since I still have a lot of .45ACP ammo in storage.

#19 ·
My buddy in Oregon, bought a new Para stainless Expert I believe.

I'm keeping my RAMI, but will be looking at Dan Wesson 1911s.

More money than a PARA, but I think well worth it.

#21 ·
Para quality is hit and miss. I had one and loved it until it started acting up. I was plagued with light primer strikes and no amount of fiddling would permanently fix it. I probably won't own another. But the lda was a pleasure to shoot and carry.

#22 ·
Out of those two choices, CZ is the superior manufacturer.

Para has some interesting models, but they have changed ownership and factory locations like 3 times in the past 6 or 7 years. It's hard to stay on top of your game with that much turnover and instability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.