EDC recommendation for my wife?

This is a discussion on EDC recommendation for my wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, My wife is interested in EDC in here purse as it doesn't require a concealed weapons permit here in Montana. I have a Taurus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi,
    My wife is interested in EDC in here purse as it doesn't require a concealed weapons permit here in Montana.
    I have a Taurus PT145 Millenium, (Non Pro) circa 2000, but she mentioned that it is heavy when loaded and one in the pipe. I am thinking maybe a 9MM for her, but I still fairly new to carrying and pistols in general, all my experience has been in rifles.

I would love to get her a Kimber, because of the awesome trigger, esp. compared to mine, but I am hoping for something that costs less.

Suggestions? She is pro 2A and I would feel more comfortable with her carrying when I am not around.

Thanks!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Glock-26...keep it simple and dependable!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For carry in her purse I would suggest something in DAO for safety, Maybe Kahr PM9 or CW9, JMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My carry is a G26, but my wife won't let me take my purse with it!! With that being said, perhaps you and she would want to take a look at something like the Ruger LCP...Ennough punch for emergency protection, light enough for her to carry in her purse and not be inconvenienced by the weight of the weapon..JMHO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

What retsupt99 said...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My suggestion is to eliminate the obvious and then let her pick out the gun she wants to carry. Take her to a gun shop, preferably one that rents guns. Show her the difference between a revolver and an auto.

In some cases, it may be too difficult to manipulate an auto and a revolver might be a better choice.
    If she can handle an auto I recommend a Glock 26 (stay within the 9mm category)

Revolver: any of the S&W or Ruger or even Taurus revolvers may work.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

There is but one choice S&W 642.

An all steel J frame Smith Wesson or Ruger .357 magnum would be my choice. Some women have trouble racking a semi auto slide. And there are lots and lots of choices in J frame holsters. The Ruger SP101 is serious self defense and Smith makes a bunch of nice J frames.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    For carry in her purse I would suggest something in DAO for safety, Maybe Kahr PM9 or CW9, JMO.
    +1 on the DAO.
    I can't say enough about the 9mm Sig P239 in DAK (Sig's DAO)

EVERY female I have let shoot it has the same reaction. First their eyes get all big, and then they go "ooooooh! I want one of THESE!" It's just an awesome gun.

And while I don't carry in my purse, I have stuck it in a few of my purses to see how it fit, and it fit really nicely. It's small enough for relatively easy concealment in the purse or under bulky clothes, but at the same time, it's light enough and has a perfect fit for feminine hands.

Take her to the Gun Store and have her bring her purse and "try" out several different ones.

And another +1 on having her shoot 9mm!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    There is but one choice S&W 642.
    +1. Just bought one for my wife a couple days ago for her birthday. She loves it! And I love it too! Got the model with the Crimson Trace laser on it. Well worth the extra money.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Hi,
    My wife is interested in EDC in here purse as it doesn't require a concealed weapons permit here in Montana.
    Not to get off topic but ...

If she plans to carry a Concealed Weapon in Montana, she needs a permit to do so legally. Montana Law

45-8-315. Definition. "Concealed weapon" means any weapon mentioned in 45-8-316 through 45-8-318 and 45-8-321 through 45-8-328 that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon, except that for purposes of 45-8-321 through 45-8-328, concealed weapon means a handgun or a knife with a blade 4 or more inches in length that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon.

Montana law prohibits people from carrying concealed weapons inside city, town or logging camp limits and also contains some limits on carrying concealed weapons outside of city limits. However, a person may carry concealed weapons in many instances if he or she has a valid Montana or out-of-state permit to do so.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Just some recommendations of some good reliable guns. Glock 26, Springfield XD9sc, Ruger SP-101, J-Frame S&W, Ruger LCP.

I have all of these except the J-frame and G-26, but I do own a Glock and all Glocks are work horses, consistent and won't let you down.

These are my preferences, however your wife has to be the final choice.

Good luck. Lots of "food for thought" and suggestions have been offered up. Try out several and have her take her pick.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A CZ PCR might fit the bill nicely. Its funny, but out of all of my guns my wife enjoys shooting my 1911 the most. I would agree with the previous posts though, keep it simple to start off with. The PCR has a decocker so it would eliminate C&L and she wouldn't have to worry about fooling with a safety.

I have also found that the more accurate she shoots the more comfortable she is with the firearm.

Glock 26. It WILL work when she pulls the trigger.
    "The wicked flee when no one pursues,
    But the righteous are bold as a lion."

Proverbs 28:1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links