has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue"

This is a discussion on has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title explains, has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue". It's a very good/informative article and gives an interesting perspective ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue"

has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue"

As the title explains, has anyone else read "Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue". It's a very good/informative article and gives an interesting perspective on ballistic performance. Take a look and see what you think:

http://www.mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

2. Remove Ads

I had read this a long time ago. Still unsure if it's authentic or not. Reads a little too Gecko45'ish to me.

Yea...one of those things that goes around and around online. Not sure if it's authentic or not.

Even if it is, not sure you can draw conclusions from it. Maybe the .45 were JHPs fired by trained LEOs, while the 9mm's were FMJ fired gansta style by gangbangers?

If someone gets hit by one .45 and dies 30 minutes later, is that better than someone who dies within seconds after getting hit by five 9mm rounds?

I've read testimony from trauma surgeons who state you cannot tell the caliber of the round just by looking at the wound path.

Whatever - I'm tired of the caliber wars. Pick the best balance of ammo capacity, mild recoil, and good penetration. Then practice, and put the bullets where they count.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yea...one of those things that goes around and around online. Not sure if it's authentic or not.

Even if it is, not sure you can draw conclusions from it. Maybe the .45 were JHPs fired by trained LEOs, while the 9mm's were FMJ fired gansta style by gangbangers?

If someone gets hit by one .45 and dies 30 minutes later, is that better than someone who dies within seconds after getting hit by five 9mm rounds?

I've read testimony from trauma surgeons who state you cannot tell the caliber of the round just by looking at the wound path.

Whatever - I'm tired of the caliber wars. Pick the best balance of ammo capacity, mild recoil, and good penetration. Then practice, and put the bullets where they count.
    These days and at this stage in life, I am in full agreement of your last statement!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with 10thmtn. The caliber wars are getting old.

The best caliber is the one that allows you to place your rounds on target.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

Nothing new here. As for multiple hits, the SAS trains with Sig 226s for exactly that purpose. They do double taps with great skill. All of us are not that good, of course, but I can put 4 9 millimeter rounds center mass in less than a second with a short reset trigger. That would seem to me to be the equivalent of a single 45, if not more. My 226 carries 20 rounds in a MecGar mag, and my 228, 16, so multiple hits are the name of the game. I also shoot .40 and .45 and am a believer in those also. I'm thinking of getting a Smith 686 7 shot to explore the wonders of .357. And then there's my Mossberg...
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

It seemed like an advertisement for calibers that begin with "4", and a complete hit piece on 9mm & .380ACP.

Shoot the target in the head.
    He will fall down, then be dead.

OK, I was part of the whole thing when it originally happened. He was a forensic pathologist. That means he read the reports and had all the pictures. He did not personally do the autopsies. He also did a number of mass casualty jobs. He was legit. I knew a few gents who knew the guy well and shot with him routinely.

He stated over and over that these were personal opinions based on his career observations. He got fed up enough with all the usual internet "expert" commentary from people with little or no real knowledge that he's not bothering with forums any more for several years now. Can't say as I blame him.

Oh, hope you can pull off that head shot against a moving bobbing target while you are moving fast yourself 'cause you'd darn well better be moving if you don't want to get shot yourself!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I worked as a Investigator for the Medical Examiner in our state....I dont need to read it. I saw it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Why are people found with only a single .45 in them?

If I have to shoot with a .45, the BG is still going to get 3 for starters, just like with a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I worked as a Investigator for the Medical Examiner in our state....I dont need to read it. I saw it.
    Interesting! Care to elaborate?
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    Why are people found with only a single .45 in them?

If I have to shoot with a .45, the BG is still going to get 3 for starters, just like with a 9mm.
    Proponents of the larger calibers will say that the answer to your question is because "it only took one .45 and they dropped dead right there!"

I agree with your tactic - whatever the caliber, I will fire a few to the high chest and then one or more to the head until they fall down. Yes, the head is a harder target to hit, which is why a few to the chest first should slow them down.
    CT Lasers

Yeah its all good IF you get a chance to put 2 in the chest and one in the head, but what if you only get one round fired off? You never know what will happen in a gunfight, misses, misplaced bullets and maybe being shot yourself. I think the caliber is important to a degree.
    VERITAS AEQUITAS

Quote Originally Posted by Bricktop View Post
    Yeah its all good IF you get a chance to put 2 in the chest and one in the head, but what if you only get one round fired off? You never know what will happen in a gunfight, misses, misplaced bullets and maybe being shot yourself. I think the caliber is important to a degree.
    I agree. Caliber is important insofar as it gets you penetration to the vitals. A larger wound is certainly going to produce more damage, but I'm not sure it will matter much in terms of how long it takes to stop the threat. Consider that a motivated person can still function for 10-30 seconds after getting shot in the heart - plenty of time to kill you.

Larger calibers produce slightly larger wounds, but at the expense of ammo capacity (important if you miss with some shots, or multiple attackers, etc), recoil (important for follow-up shots), cost of ammo (important for practice and training), etc.

So, you pick the compromise that works best for you. A .45 may produce more damage shot-for-shot, but a smaller caliber will give you an edge in ammo capacity, speed of follow-up shots, and affordability in training.
    CT Lasers

Deadmeat is who he says he is. Many people who know him personally and shoot IDPA with him verify his statements and experiences.

The officers I've spoken with who have worked homicide and witnessed countless autopsies (the callused guys who can eat a burrito while the corpse is disemboweled) have said the same thing.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links