Use your pistol to fight to your rifle...

This is a discussion on Use your pistol to fight to your rifle... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given the, I think excelent advise, I am stuck facing a delema. In the neighborhoods in the Kansas City Mo urban core where I work, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Given the, I think excelent advise, I am stuck facing a delema. In the neighborhoods in the Kansas City Mo urban core where I work, I can see the value ,maybe even the day I may need more rounds/force than my edc handgun. We can not, however, keep a loaded and easily accessable rifle/shotgun in our vehicles.

I am therefore considdering a rifle caliber pistol (223/556), the Kel Tec PLR16 in particular. I love the Sig556 but 'wow' that price! Does anyone have first, or reliable second hand experience with this Kel Tec? I am sure an adveserial LEO may feel compelled to confiscate such an aggressive looking weapon if found while issuing a ticket, but even a showoff prosecutor would be forced concede it is in fact a concealed pistol regardless of the caliber or accessories in the ensueing legal proceedures.

Any thoughts or alternatives I have missed? What other large capacity mid/longer range pistols are availablein this type of personl weapon?

I greatly value you guys' input. Best regards, Lyndon

Seriously, what for?

Give us a scenario where you would use or need such a firearm for self defense (as a civilian) in an urban setting. Why does it need to be so easily accessible? Do you plan on firing it without having to get out of the vehicle? That doesn't make much sense. I'd say if you can stash it under the seat or in the trunk that's more than sufficient. You have an EDC that will get you to it if necessary.

If you need more capacity carry a "standard" pistol with extra mags. And if you need more power than a 10mm or .357SIG, why not carry a .44Mag or S&W500 revolver for those "special" situations? Or why not just get a short barrel AR15 in the 14-16" range? It's a far superior firearm and there must be a way you can store it in the vehicle in a reasonably accessible manner.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have an AR-15 and other than the occasional range shooting or plinking I do, I use it for varmint hunting. I don't ever foresee a time that I would need my AR for self defense unless the U.S. is invaded and it came down to me. SD ranges are normally bad breath distances and for that I want a handgun or shotgun. If I were looking for a pistol in a rifle caliber, I would look toward the Thompson Contender. Far more accurate firearm. Obviously, only my opinion.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Carry more ammo for your pistol.

I don't believe in the "car gun" idea. Too easily stolen.

If you insist on keeping a long gun in the car, can't it be "unloaded" and be legal? In the scenario you describe, you should have time to load it if needed.

Remember though - your vehicle is a better weapon than any firearm you can possess as a civilian... Don't get out of a 4000 lb vehicle to sling 55 gr bullets.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I may very well have an overactive imagination. One such thought: the riots that would likely erupt in the low income minority community should the President be assasinated. I remember the vidos from the Rodney King trial aftermath think of the extrapolation. This is a condition for which I and my associates have prepped. I have watched 9 drive by shootings. I have started out on my stomach watching 30+/- rounds being fired into the house accross the street then moving to coverdurring one of those. That particular house has been shot up half a dozen times. I own the one accross the street, and the one two doors down. I have had 5 tenants shot. I have had 5-6 houses shot up for no apparent reason. I know two fellow landlords who were shot and killed. I tend to think from just what I have seen with my own two eyes that if I were the object of that kind of retaliation a spare mag might run you short. 30 rounds of 223/556 seems appealing. I do like the X frame S&W 460, and have it on my wish list. It is still a single handle gun and limited on capacity but a good possibility. The problem with an 'AR' is you can not carry a loaded, accessable rifle/shotgun in your vehicle. The likelyhood any of us will ever draw and fire on another is extreemly rare, but don't we train and discuss and encourage one another on sights like this for that one-in-a-million situation? I have avoided bullets over there for 22 years. I think I will be OK for several more but... I belive though there is wisdom in the old adage cited above. I am trying to approximate the rifle while staying legal for everyday life.

Thanks rattleing my thoughts and keeping me honest, Best, Lyndon

Lyndon stay in O-town... stay armed.
    "That's just like your opinion, man." -the dude

Lyndon
    I live in the Kansas City area and sometimes travel to or through some bad areas of KC but sheesh man where are you at? I go to Wyandotte from down town to clear out West, Northeast KC at Paseo and Independence Avenue and points east of there, have friends who live at 8th and main and in riverque, I have never seen that much violence. I am not doubting you just wondering where all that happens so I can stay away. Seriously please let me know and I'll NEVER go there. If I may need to load up an AR just to go there.....um never mind.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Lyndon ...

Dude, you need to move! You live in a war zone. Get out of there before they drop napalm on you.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Olathe. I have friends and family there. Know what I would do? Forget the rifle.....carry your pistol, and find a good source for hand grenades.

Funny how the posts changed from why whould you need a rifle to OMG, you are where.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

One of the big advantages of a rifle is that it is much easier to shoot than a pistol, largely because you have four, separated points of contact (buttstock, cheekweld, handgrip, forend). A rifle caliber pistol gives up this advantage. I think you would be much better off with a real rifle, even if that meant you had to keep it unloaded and in the trunk for legal reasons.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Funny how the posts changed from why whould you need a rifle to OMG, you are where.
    +1

I absolutely understanding the OP's reasons.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Wow that is really crazy... I'd def have a AR or something with me there.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Search CrimeReports.com

My brother and his family goes to church at the location shown in Kansas City. The crime numbers are only for the last 14 days near the church. Only the crimes that made it through the system are posted on the website. Who knows what really happened in this neighborhood.

keep an AR15 in a locked combination case where you only have to flip the last number once to open it with loaded mags in a seperate bag,that should meet legal carry requirements until SHTF,at that point fight your way to trunk,retrieve gun and lock and load,downside to this is the trunk area of car offers almost 0 protection from incoming bullets,so you may be better off snatching the gun and ammo out and getting behind better cover before loading the weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links