My Dream Carry XD - Springfield, Take Note

5K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  Super Trucker 
#1 ·
I think this would be the ultimate carry XD for my preferences:

XD Subcompact Frame (3-inch barrel)
.45ACP Caliber
Single-Stack Magazine
6+1 Capacity

The pistol could be made slimmer with the single-stack mag, plus the grip would be shorter with the 6-round capacity. If a problem can't be resolved with 6+1 .45 hollowpoints, plus a spare mag, then I shouldn't have been there in the first place.

This would also be fairly easy to pocket carry.

Plus, I would greatly prefer a .45 over a .380 like the Ruger LCP and some others. This could be the main (and only) carry gun as opposed to a BUG.

What do you think?

#5 ·
As much as I like the Ruger LCP, the .380 caliber really turns me off. I'm not a police officer so I don't see the need for a backup gun, and I would never trust my life to a .380.

All of the carry methods have their pros and cons, but IF the right gun was available, I think pocket carry would be the best solution. This could very well be that "right" gun for me; small in size but with proven stopping power.

#7 ·
I have been wanting the exact XD you descibe. <=1" thick and the same size as the xd sub compact. The grip would need to be .188 to .250 longer to ensure the pinky has a home.

Right now the G36 is probably the closest match .

:hand10:

#8 ·
What you're talking about is the equivalent to a G36

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. I checked out the Glock 36 and the length disqualifies it for what I'm after.

Glock G36: 6.77 inches
Springfield XD40sc: 6.25 inches

The Glock is actually a tad longer than the Colt Defender (6.75 inches). My Defender comes just a bit too close to showing for my taste in cargo pants.

But it was still a good suggestion.

:smile:

#20 ·
I checked out the Kahr and three things turn me off about it:

1. It's DAO (no, thanks)

2. It's too expensive

3. It's ugly (no offense to Kahr owners since this is subjective)

EDIT: I just can't seem to warm up to Glocks, either.

#24 ·
1. I wouldn't have anything else for a carry gun. Kahr also has probably that nicest DAO trigger out there.

2. I hear that a lot about all Kahrs. I think I paid mid 600 dollar range for my PM40 out the door which was not that good a deal at all but I had a very hard time finding the gun at the time. Compared to a lot of other guns this seems cheap and I am getting the smallest lightest 40 on the market.

3. I don't think its the prettiest gun around but its not ugly. I guess the beauty is in the function. Kahrs point very well for me and the PM series has the smallest and lightest 40 and 45 and close to it in 9 as well. Regardless, no offense taken...

BTW I hate glocks too...

#21 ·
I have the XD 9MM in the service model (4 inch) and the XD 9mm in subcompact. But I also have an full 5 inch SA gov't .45 (1911).

It is just about as easy to carry the 1911 as the XD's. In my opinion the length of the barrel is less important than the thickness of the gun. The 1911 is thinner than the XD's. I think the 1911 styled guns are hard to beat for personal carry!

#25 ·
I also have an XD9sc and 5" 1911. The barrel length is only an issue when I'm sitting. I really like the XD trigger, and if Springfield could even get a single stack version of their 45 compact with a 4" barrel I would investigate

#22 ·
Don't ask Springfield. They are just licensed to market the XD line under their name in the U.S.

I suggest that you place your request with HS Produkt in the city of Karlovac, Croatia.

#23 ·
AHHH!! All these little guns!! Now, it would be cool if they made the XD slimmer with the same style. I am actually a rather small guy who should probably carry a smaller pistol. I am 5'9" 170lbs and carry the XDm 40 in a IWB at 4:00. No, I am not making up for anything!:blink: The way I figure it, if I can carry it and make it disappear on my body, why not?

#26 ·
That's funny, I just emailed SA today in hopes of letting them know of interest along these lines.

I hoped for a 45 xd single stack with a 4"brl and a bobbed grip, or some type of 1911 Comander/XD love child.

But it looks like we should be emailing the others.

Let's hope they listen and start a makin'

#32 ·
That's funny, I just emailed SA today in hopes of letting them know of interest along these lines.
Funny that you should say that. I went to two gun stores today. I casually mentioned to the guy behind the counter about what I wish Springfield would make, and in both cases, they completed my sentence for me!

So yeah, there seems to be a ton of interest in this. I hope SA will listen.

I checked out a G36 today, also. It looks bigger in real life than I imagined it would be.

#28 ·
Kahr has a fine triger pull I have the CW45 and it carries very well.
PS and it is MADE IN THE USA

#35 ·
You think that's so much better looking than the Khar? I dunno man I think the Khar is skinnier and better looking, but to each his own! Good luck on the search. I too wish there was a single stack XD similar to the Glock 36. I personally would like to keep the barrel at 4" and just have a shorter grip. I don't have a hard time concealing my XD9 so just having something slimmer and shorter would be nice.

#37 ·
Springer you lost me. Isn't the XD a DAO?:blink:

The only complaint I have about the Kahr is the long trigger pull, smooth as silk but long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.