Defensive Carry banner

Steel or NOT to steel...that is the ??

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
J-Frame Smiths.........Steel or Airweight(NOT the exotic metal versions)for BUG and or hot weather EDC?? Like the 442/642,especially those being offered in NO-Lock configuration, but have only owned all-steel J-Frames. Like the Model 40 and would love to find a 640(new in box)again without the lawyer lock. Like to hear your thoughts.:smile:

#2 ·
It's a trade off. My wife has a Taurus Ultralite 38 that she purse carries. The purse is heavy and would be even heavier if the gun was all steel. On the flip side guns with all steel construction are much easier to shoot due to the lower recoil. The best solution IMO is probably to carry some kind of ultralite that you shoot sparingly and do most of your range work with a steely.

#5 ·
Depends on carry mode

I have 3 J frames, one airweight (on the right) and two steel. The airweight is harder to shoot well but is a good pocket carry gun. The steel models are the same size but better in belt carry because of their weight. I think the steel is more durable.

#6 ·
Do the 642 and don't look back. Absolutely, the best gun you can carry if you could only carry one. Why? Because it is lightweight, compact, ergomomic, can be carried anywhere on the body and fires a good round.

Name one other gun that can meet the above specifications.

#7 ·
I can't say this enough. Beware the Taurus products, they're dangerously inaccurate and have major quality control problems.

As it's been said. It's a trade-off. If you sacrifice weight, you sacrifice secondary shot accuracy becuase of recoil. If you go heavy to reduce the recoil, you might be less apt to carry it because of the weight.

Personally, look into the S&W revolvers then look at the Ruger LCR (for a light revolver). You might be surprised what you find.

#12 ·
Is that an older model, or one of the recently re-introduced mod. 42's?

I'm interested in getting one for pocket carry (and I have this pipedream of eventually converting it to 9mm w/ a mod. 940 cylinder - One thing at a time, though)...

I know that the re-released mod. 40's have been around for a while, but the 42's seemed late arriving on the scene...

Nice piece!

Regards,

Bones

#9 ·
I sell almost everything. The S&W Airweights are nice but have quite quite a recoil kick to them. This is a nice light weight revolver but might not be right for your wife. Many Women want to carry the Ruger .380 LCP but it is very difficult right now to find ammunition.

Personally, I recommend and carry the Walther PPS sub-Compact.

9mm or .40.

#10 ·
I have the all steel model 60 in pre lock 38 only format. I like the fact that it is steel but you have to make sure your pants fit right to pocket carry it so it doesnt swing around. I am on the lookout for a pre lock 442 to try out and see how that carries as well. If I were to do it again and I could only get one gun I would get an all steel version of a pre lock 649 or 640 in 38 only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.