Steel or NOT to steel...that is the ??

This is a discussion on Steel or NOT to steel...that is the ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; J-Frame Smiths.........Steel or Airweight(NOT the exotic metal versions)for BUG and or hot weather EDC?? Like the 442/642,especially those being offered in NO-Lock configuration, but have ...

Thread: Steel or NOT to steel...that is the ??

Steel or NOT to steel...that is the ??

J-Frame Smiths.........Steel or Airweight(NOT the exotic metal versions)for BUG and or hot weather EDC?? Like the 442/642,especially those being offered in NO-Lock configuration, but have only owned all-steel J-Frames. Like the Model 40 and would love to find a 640(new in box)again without the lawyer lock. Like to hear your thoughts.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

It's a trade off. My wife has a Taurus Ultralite 38 that she purse carries. The purse is heavy and would be even heavier if the gun was all steel. On the flip side guns with all steel construction are much easier to shoot due to the lower recoil. The best solution IMO is probably to carry some kind of ultralite that you shoot sparingly and do most of your range work with a steely.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I have a pre lock 638 airweight that I love as a bug and a quick throw in the pocket and run to the store. It is a lil snappy with +p but I still love it.

+1 to both of the above posters.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Depends on carry mode

I have 3 J frames, one airweight (on the right) and two steel. The airweight is harder to shoot well but is a good pocket carry gun. The steel models are the same size but better in belt carry because of their weight. I think the steel is more durable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Do the 642 and don't look back. Absolutely, the best gun you can carry if you could only carry one. Why? Because it is lightweight, compact, ergomomic, can be carried anywhere on the body and fires a good round.

Name one other gun that can meet the above specifications.

I can't say this enough. Beware the Taurus products, they're dangerously inaccurate and have major quality control problems.

As it's been said. It's a trade-off. If you sacrifice weight, you sacrifice secondary shot accuracy becuase of recoil. If you go heavy to reduce the recoil, you might be less apt to carry it because of the weight.

Personally, look into the S&W revolvers then look at the Ruger LCR (for a light revolver). You might be surprised what you find.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    J-Frame Smiths.........Steel or Airweight(NOT the exotic metal versions)for BUG and or hot weather EDC?? Like the 442/642,especially those being offered in NO-Lock configuration, but have only owned all-steel J-Frames. Like the Model 40 and would love to find a 640(new in box)again without the lawyer lock. Like to hear your thoughts.
    If you like the Model 40 and want a lightweight, look into the Model 42, I love mine for pocket carry.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I sell almost everything. The S&W Airweights are nice but have quite quite a recoil kick to them. This is a nice light weight revolver but might not be right for your wife. Many Women want to carry the Ruger .380 LCP but it is very difficult right now to find ammunition.

Personally, I recommend and carry the Walther PPS sub-Compact.

9mm or .40.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have the all steel model 60 in pre lock 38 only format. I like the fact that it is steel but you have to make sure your pants fit right to pocket carry it so it doesnt swing around. I am on the lookout for a pre lock 442 to try out and see how that carries as well. If I were to do it again and I could only get one gun I would get an all steel version of a pre lock 649 or 640 in 38 only.

+1 on the Smith model 42. I carry mine every day

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    If you like the Model 40 and want a lightweight, look into the Model 42, I love mine for pocket carry.

Is that an older model, or one of the recently re-introduced mod. 42's?

I'm interested in getting one for pocket carry (and I have this pipedream of eventually converting it to 9mm w/ a mod. 940 cylinder - One thing at a time, though)...

I know that the re-released mod. 40's have been around for a while, but the 42's seemed late arriving on the scene...

Nice piece!

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

I have a number of CCW guns and my 442 is always a favorite, particularly for jacket pocket carry. I donot find the recoil offensive; I shoot Federal nycald (non plus P round).

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Is that an older model, or one of the recently re-introduced mod. 42's?

I'm interested in getting one for pocket carry (and I have this pipedream of eventually converting it to 9mm w/ a mod. 940 cylinder - One thing at a time, though)...

I know that the re-released mod. 40's have been around for a while, but the 42's seemed late arriving on the scene...

Nice piece!

Regards,

Bones
    Thank you Sir.
    It one of the new revlovers from Smith's "Classic" line, Bones.

Model 42 - S&W Classics
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links