Great news for USP fans - Streamlight's TLR series will mount directly to the USPf !!

This is a discussion on Great news for USP fans - Streamlight's TLR series will mount directly to the USPf !! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Until now, WMLs require an adaptor to fit the USPs. No more! I just got off the phone with Streamlight and it looks like their ...

Thread: Great news for USP fans - Streamlight's TLR series will mount directly to the USPf !!

Senior Moderator

Great news for USP fans - Streamlight's TLR series will mount directly to the USPf !!

Until now, WMLs require an adaptor to fit the USPs. No more! I just got off the phone with Streamlight and it looks like their new TLR series weapon mounted lights (WML) will fit a USPf. It does not have to slide over the end of the grooves like many Piciatinny compatible devices. The TLR series clamps on and tightens with a thumb/coin screw. I love it - it fits all my gun rails without a problem.

BUT, it will require two things: One, the locking key needs to be removed from the TLR light. That's easy, just remove the allen head cap screw on the side of the light to release the locking key.

Second, and I'll be looking at this tonight, Streamlight tells me that there is just a bit of interference with the light at the trigger guard. They say, that the light can be machined (filed) slightly or the USP frame (trigger guard) slightly and it will fit.

Now I don't know how secure it is yet, but I can't imagine it to be a problem because of the clamping action of the TLR mount. Streamlight told me if it works - go for it.

The other consideration is the USP rails are about .05 inches wider than Picitinny rails, but that just means the light will set to one side of center by 0.025 inches. Even with my TLR-2 (with laser) the laser would only be off by .025 inches. That's not bad considering the vertical displacement of the laser from the bore is about an inch.

But I'm also going to look at the feasibility of machining .025 inches off each rail - maybe.

Anyway, should be able to let you know more and some specifics tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Cool.....thanks for the news.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    Cool.....thanks for the news.
    Well, it's not official yet, but it does look promising, esp. since Streamlight agrees and has done this. I got the impression they are going to have a meeting to discuss this very thing.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Sounds good, I like the idea of having a light on the gun. Just makes it easier to identify the target before firing.
    Curry

Thanks for the information. One of my pistols is an HK USP and I was wondering about that rail width.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Lead Moderator
    A bit late, just got my rail adapter in for my HK. Oh, well still got a deal on it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

sounds cool maybe ill get one

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    A bit late, just got my rail adapter in for my HK. Oh, well still got a deal on it.
    Don't feel bad. I tried it last night, and I don't recommend the direct mount without modifying the TLR light in ways you probably don't want to.

I tried this with the battery compartment cover removed so I cold focus solely on how the light fits the grooves in the USP. The problem is that the bottom of the dust cover hits the sloped part of the V groove of the TLR and won't let the light fit correctly.

I'm going to call Streamlight back and tell them what I've found. I don't know what they are thinking, because unless my USP is uniquely different, the grip is unacceptably marginal at best. Knowing me, I'll probably order the less expensive TLR-1 and modify it and see if it will fit acceptably.

Plus, Streamlight seems to be quite interested in this. They would be one of the few that could offer a tact light that would work on a Picitinny and USP rail. So maybe they're thinking about making a mod to the light themselves.

VIP Member
    I'll probably get the GG&G thin rail.....I don't want to do any permanent mods to either my gun or the light (if I get one).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links