Here's an interesting thought about the CX4 Storm and the XD...

This is a discussion on Here's an interesting thought about the CX4 Storm and the XD... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the CX4 Storm. I really like the CX4 Storm for a SHTF situation. We need not get distracted with the pros and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's an interesting thought about the CX4 Storm and the XD...

Senior Moderator

I really like the CX4 Storm. I really like the CX4 Storm for a SHTF situation. We need not get distracted with the pros and cons of a PCC, I've debated it at length with some tenacious opponents and I haven't wavered from my position for a micro-second, but I did manage to win a few converts. So that's not the point of this.

The point is that I would really like a pistol/PCC compliment for SHTF scenarios. The mag/ammo compatibility is a strong issue to me. Right now my combo is a Beretta Vertec and the Storm. But I only have one Beretta and if it went down beyond reasonable repair in a SHTF situation, I wouldn't have a backup. Hmmm, if my Storm failed or was damaged, I wouldn't have a back-up for it either, oh well, that's another issue.

The problem arose when I shot my Vertec yesterday. As all of you know, the first Wednesday of every month is "free" day at the indoor range, meaning no time is charged to your range card. Anyway, I finally had to admit that the Vertec is just not for me. It's a fine gun, super reliable and all, but it's just not me.

So now I'm scrambling to figure out what to do for a handgun/PCC compliment. I could get a PX4, extra mags, the PX4 mag adaptor for the CX4 and I'd have a good combo. But, the PX4 is new, I'd still need a backup, holster selection is limited right now, and this route would sure be expensive, esp. if I had to buy a second PX4 as a backup to the first. Plus a number of CX4 owners are having to send their CX4's back to Beretta to have the PX4 adaptors installed. That's not appealing at all. The PX4 has a 4 inch bbl. which is ok, but I like the longer barrels, like a Sig 226, H&K USPf, Glock 17s, Beretta 92s, and 1911s and the XD Tactical.

So I'm searching for other solutions; I already have the Storm, the Beretta 92 mags work in it so what to do? Well back during the hi cap magazine ban, I adapted a hi cap Sig 226 mag to work both in a Sig 226 and my XD with minimal mods and it was legal.

My first thought was to adapt Sig mags to the Storm. But that won't work well, because the Sig and the Beretta mags have slots that the mag release catches at different heights on the same side of the mag. So the modified mag would work in the gun with the highest mag catch, but not well in the gun with the lower mag catch - it'd snag the first mag slot as the mag was inserted to the gun.

Then it hit me. XD mags have the catch on the front of the mag! No interferring slots! The dimensions of the mags are really close. By cutting a slot in the XD mag at the appropriate location, it should work in the Storm!

Now there's an interesting combination!

Its not that simple. I have to determine that the mag lengths are compatible; if the mag angles (feed lips) are compatible, or if the XD mags will seat without going too far into the works.

Guess what I'm gonna do tonight?

You're a dangerous man with hand tools!
    Let us now how that works out ... we can call it Tanglized, or the Newfangle Tangle Angle.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I really like the CX4 Storm. I really like the CX4 Storm for a SHTF situation. We need not get distracted with the pros and cons of a PCC, I've debated it at length with some tenacious opponents and I haven't wavered from my position for a micro-second, but I did manage to win a few converts. So that's not the point of this.
    But... But.... But....!!!

Senior Moderator
    Tanglized, hmmm, the possiblities....

Joe,
    I know, I know, I've heard it before. LOL!

what's what PCC? Other than early Benchmade (Pacific Cutlery Co.).
    Jack

My trip combo and I guess my SHTF immediate action option is a Glock M27 and the Kel-Tec folding carbine the Sub-2000 with the 40 cal Glock mag option. It's calibrated for the M23 40 so my little M27 mags won't fit, but I have MANY M22, M23 and some of the aftermarket Scherer 29rd mags that will fit both. The carbine will be for either my wife or perhaps a person of skills who "happens" to be with us in the Bug-Out or HDRIO (Hunker Down Ride It Out) scenarios. I'll have the Glock which actually will become a BUG to my USP 45. The Sub-2000 is an excellent little carbine!

PCC I think is Pistol Caliber Carbine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    PCC=Pistol Caliber Carbine

Like my Vertec is 9mm; my Storm is 9mm, they use the same mags.

And, just so nobody will think I'm just another guy with a file LOL, I do all the mods I can on either my milling machine or lathe.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My trip combo and I guess my SHTF immediate action option is a Glock M27 and the Kel-Tec folding carbine the Sub-2000 with the 40 cal Glock mag option. It's calibrated for the M23 40 so my little M27 mags won't fit, but I have MANY M22, M23 and some of the aftermarket Scherer 29rd mags that will fit both. The carbine will be for either my wife or perhaps a person of skills who "happens" to be with us in the Bug-Out or HDRIO (Hunker Down Ride It Out) scenarios. I'll have the Glock which actually will become a BUG to my USP 45. The Sub-2000 is an excellent little carbine!

PCC I think is Pistol Caliber Carbine.
    I hear ya! I'm amazed at the objections to the PCCs for such applications.

I'll tell you what, the Glock(s) and the Sub-2000 is a great combination. I've already got a Storm or .....

Plus I have a Picitinny rail on my Storm so I can hang all that stuff on it and look like a......Hmmm, what does that look like?

Tangle figure out how to adapt the glock 17 mags to the storm thats what i want

I think a CX4 would be one of the best compliments in your situation as long as the targets are less than 100 yards.

I just wish GLOCK would come out with a carbine (not the bulky and wierd looking Mech-Tec conversions). It doesn't have to look the came, just take the same mags and be just as reliable. Now a GLOCK 9mm PCC, a 17 and a 26 would be perfect for me.

Assistant Administrator
    I want a SIG carbine Tho I do even without complimentary mags for mine, love the CX4 - best carbine I have out of a few.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Tangle figure out how to adapt the glock 17 mags to the storm thats what i want
    Shhhh! I'm workin' on it. That's my first preference as well.

The problems with Glock mags are they catch on the side and have a different profile catch slot than the Storm's mag catch.

Second, the Glock mags are larger than Beretta mags, but both problems may be addressible with PX4 adapter inserts and mag release or some combination/modification. Or maybe a Glock mag would work with a .45 adaptor.

It's a long shot, but I'll give it a try. Can you imagine a Storm with a 33 round Glock mag!

I plan to order some inserts; I'm trying to get dimensions on the PX4 mags to see if there's any hope at all with that.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I want a SIG carbine Tho I do even without complimentary mags for mine, love the CX4 - best carbine I have out of a few.
    Chris,

As I recall, I believe Sig 226 mags and Beretta 92 mags are so close in size and shape that a Sig 226 mag would work in the Storm. I don't recall how the Storm/92 mags seat in the Storm but IIRC the only Problem I saw was the mag catch slot in the 226 mags was too high or low, don't remember which.

I'll take another look at it over the weekend. If everything "fits" but the mag catch, you'd just have to machine a slot at the right location in the 226 mag. I'm pretty sure that I'm remembering this right that the 226 mag slot is higher (nearer the lip) than the 92 mag slot. That means when the Sig mag is inserted into the Storm the higher "Sig" slot might snag on the mag release. But if you hold the mag release in as the Sig mag is inserted, that would circumvent the problem.

It might be worth that little "work-around" for magazine compatibility. The modified mag would still work the same as always in the 226. So if you had some of those "what am I going to do with these 10 round mags", now you may have something to try with them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunCat
    I think a CX4 would be one of the best compliments in your situation as long as the targets are less than 100 yards.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking too.

Although, I can fire about a round every 1.5 seconds at IDPA size/shaped dingers at 75 yards, Weaver stance and hit 5 for 5 pretty consistently with a 9mm hand gun. So I'm wondering if the the Storm's longer barrel, better sighting, better stability might be good out to more like 125 yards. Of course one needs to consider the terminal effectiveness at that range as well as the ability to hit.

That reminds me, I need to chrono some rounds from the Storm and see if what the difference in velocity is with a handgun and the Storm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links