Defensive Carry banner

Ruger GP100 + Belly Band = Um....NO!

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Eagleks 
#1 ·
I went fishing for a little while this afternoon and decided to try this little creek near me (the only bites I got were from mosquitoes). Anyway, I had recently bought a belly band at a local gun show. I had always been curious about them, plus it was cheap and the girl behind the stand was cute, so... I figured it would be a "quick way to slap the gun on and go."

NOT.

First, it was a royal pain to strap the hateful thing around me while seated in my truck. And no, I'm not fat. Strike 1.

Second, if I don't make the two velcro attachment pads match exactly, it scratches. Strike 2.

Third, the Ruger is definitely not meant to be a compact carry piece unless you look down on Andre the Giant. Strike 3 (against the belly band, not the Ruger).

Fourth, I was surprised to find that full concealment with zero printing is practically impossible, no matter where on the clock I put it. This is the fault of both the gun and the belly band. Strike 4.

So all in all, I learned some lessons:

1. Avoid cheap belly bands. I've heard good things about the Galco belly band and a few others, but this homemade rig just doesn't cut it.

2. The next time I decide to "grab the Ruger and go," I'll wear it OWB with a baggy shirt over it.

I'm sure a slimmer gun would be helpful, but this combo simply doesn't work.

See less See more
#3 ·
I feel that belly bands are made for smaller guns,The GP100 is pretty bulky,I have a belly band I haven't used in at least a year,just too many other options,I can see my P11 at the beach in it

#4 ·
"... but ... but ... but, she was sooooo cute!" Famous last words. :tongue:

Whatever else is true, that's a 10-inch problem you're trying to stuff down there. Sounds like OWB to me, too. :rofl:

#5 ·
GP100 in a belly band?... LOL.

Live & learn that's what's it all about!

I OWB my GP and my BB stays in the holster drawer, never has been a comfortable mode of carry for me.

#7 ·
"...but it was a quick way to slap it on and go!"

:gah:

Yeah, right. It was like carrying an anvil in a Walmart sack.

But I'm with you. I'll OWB the GP100 under a loose shirt if I carry it again.

#12 ·
I use my Belly Band when camping. At knight I ware sweatpants and shirt to sleep in. If I get up and have to leave the Camper I just put on the Belly Band with the Gun of choice for that knight and do what I gatta do.

#13 ·
I find my guns conceal better with the belly band, and it's worked great so far. I've used it with several guns, and find the heavier the gun... the least likely for it to work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.