Defensive Carry banner

First Range Trip With New Smith 686

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  BikerRN 
#1 ·
First impression: accurate. Quarter sized groups at 25 feet. I got worse as I got tired. The gun is heavier than I'm used to shooting and I'll have to get used to it.

Shot 120 rounds: Magtech 38, Blazer +P, Magtech 357. These were the only brands available. For some reason it's hard to get 357 in particular. Winchester White Box has just disappeared from the gun stores I frequent. The recoil with this pistol is very manageable, even in 357.

I'm going to shoot it with a bench rest next time and make whatever sight adjustments are necessary (it shot a little high and to the right).

I got the 4" barrel so it will be possible to conceal under winter clothes. Not much hope for summer although some claim to do it with ease. It's the 7 shot model so it's a little fatter.

I am convinced one or two rounds of 357 accurately placed with this gun will discourage an attacker. Now, I have to learn all the the quick reload moves.

#4 ·
Congrats! They make great night stand guns too... Gotta love those Smiths...

#5 ·
I've had a 6" 586 for many, many moons. Bought it to use for deer hunting. The 158 grain hollowpoint load and the neck shot (just below the base of the skull a few inches) would drop a deer in its tracks. Placed through the lungs tracking wasn't a problem and most didn't go far. A good action job will smooth it out and if you really want to get the max out of it send it to Dick Mayberry at 300 Below. It will slick it up and improve your accuracy.

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip.

How long does the action job take? Is it as good as Smith's? How much?

#6 ·
I had the 6" barrel version back in college about 20 years ago that I picked up used for about $150. I loved that gun. I impressed fellow shooters with my ability to hit tin cans across the Hungarian Falls dam up in the UP of Michigan, back in the day. I had to sell it to buy a parts truck. I miss that gun and often think about replacing it but for me, a long(er) magnum revolver never seems to make to the top of my buy next list.

#8 ·
I have one of the 7 shot 686s....It's great around the farm. I use it as a snake gun, with shot-shells & also with hollow-points for the odd varmint.

Attachments

#9 ·
I picked up my 686+ about 6 months ago, and I love it. It took about 3 days to get used to the difference in the weight of carrying it, but after I did, I really liked it even more.
Mine is the 3" barrel, and it shoots great. I have 3 S&W revolvers and this one has the smoothest double action trigger I've seen. By the time I had 200 rounds through it I was shooting consistant 2" groups at 21 feet in D/A.
Great Gun!!!:smile:

#13 ·
Thanks! Nice wood grips. I don't know what I'm going to put on mine yet.

#15 ·
I am convinced one or two rounds of 357 accurately placed with this gun will discourage an attacker. Now, I have to learn all the the quick reload moves.
If 2 will work, you should not have to reload! I've heard and read that having to reload is not used very often (actually miniscule) in a self defense situation. I guess if you had several attackers 7 may not be enough and you would likely want some black plastic gun that holds 15-17 rounds.

I have an older 686 no-lock and it shoots great. First two shots I made with it, the second shot slightly expanded the hole size of the first shot. I had to stop and do a double take.

#16 ·
The .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP wasn't called the, "King of the Street" for nothing.

The 686 was designed around that load and makes it very easy to shoot that particular load. I love revolvers and tolerate autoloaders, FWIW. I do not feel underarmed with a revolver, and started my career with one. While I carry a Hi Power off duty, and an autoloading 9mm on duty, I gravitate back to revolvers every so often.

If you learn to master the revolver it makes the trasition to other platforms much easier, IMHO. It also makes you a better shooter, IMO. To get good with a revolver you have to master the basics, and there ain't no shortcuts.

Biker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.