First Range Trip With New Smith 686

This is a discussion on First Range Trip With New Smith 686 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First impression: accurate. Quarter sized groups at 25 feet. I got worse as I got tired. The gun is heavier than I'm used to shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Range Trip With New Smith 686

First Range Trip With New Smith 686

First impression: accurate. Quarter sized groups at 25 feet. I got worse as I got tired. The gun is heavier than I'm used to shooting and I'll have to get used to it.

Shot 120 rounds: Magtech 38, Blazer +P, Magtech 357. These were the only brands available. For some reason it's hard to get 357 in particular. Winchester White Box has just disappeared from the gun stores I frequent. The recoil with this pistol is very manageable, even in 357.

I'm going to shoot it with a bench rest next time and make whatever sight adjustments are necessary (it shot a little high and to the right).

I got the 4" barrel so it will be possible to conceal under winter clothes. Not much hope for summer although some claim to do it with ease. It's the 7 shot model so it's a little fatter.

I am convinced one or two rounds of 357 accurately placed with this gun will discourage an attacker. Now, I have to learn all the the quick reload moves.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

RMS
    Congratulations. Though I don't use mine as my carry weapon, I do enjoy shooting it. Enjoy!

VIP Member
    Congrats! They make great night stand guns too... Gotta love those Smiths...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've had a 6" 586 for many, many moons. Bought it to use for deer hunting. The 158 grain hollowpoint load and the neck shot (just below the base of the skull a few inches) would drop a deer in its tracks. Placed through the lungs tracking wasn't a problem and most didn't go far. A good action job will smooth it out and if you really want to get the max out of it send it to Dick Mayberry at 300 Below. It will slick it up and improve your accuracy.

I had the 6" barrel version back in college about 20 years ago that I picked up used for about $150. I loved that gun. I impressed fellow shooters with my ability to hit tin cans across the Hungarian Falls dam up in the UP of Michigan, back in the day. I had to sell it to buy a parts truck. I miss that gun and often think about replacing it but for me, a long(er) magnum revolver never seems to make to the top of my buy next list.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    I am convinced one or two rounds of 357 accurately placed with this gun will discourage an attacker.
    "Yeah, sorry, man. I wasn't able to nab that guy's wallet/wife/child. That .357 he had, it. . . (/sigh) I just got a little discouraged, that's all."

Can you spot the understatement?

VIP Member
    I have one of the 7 shot 686s....It's great around the farm. I use it as a snake gun, with shot-shells & also with hollow-points for the odd varmint.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I picked up my 686+ about 6 months ago, and I love it. It took about 3 days to get used to the difference in the weight of carrying it, but after I did, I really liked it even more.
    Mine is the 3" barrel, and it shoots great. I have 3 S&W revolvers and this one has the smoothest double action trigger I've seen. By the time I had 200 rounds through it I was shooting consistant 2" groups at 21 feet in D/A.
    Great Gun!!!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    I've had a 6" 586 for many, many moons. Bought it to use for deer hunting. The 158 grain hollowpoint load and the neck shot (just below the base of the skull a few inches) would drop a deer in its tracks. Placed through the lungs tracking wasn't a problem and most didn't go far. A good action job will smooth it out and if you really want to get the max out of it send it to Dick Mayberry at 300 Below. It will slick it up and improve your accuracy.
    Thanks for the tip.

How long does the action job take? Is it as good as Smith's? How much?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Now, I have to learn all the the quick reload moves.
    Get yourself some speedloaders (Safariland seem to be the hot ticket) and some dummy rounds, and PRACTICE! Just remove all live ammo from the room, and make a mental note when practice is over that "now I'm loading live rounds."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I hate to hijack your thread, but if you're not gonna post some pics of that new 686, SOMEONE has to!!!!

My 4" 686 plus:

Thanks! Nice wood grips. I don't know what I'm going to put on mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalpoet View Post
    "Yeah, sorry, man. I wasn't able to nab that guy's wallet/wife/child. That .357 he had, it. . . (/sigh) I just got a little discouraged, that's all."

Can you spot the understatement?

Great post!

I don't carry my 4" 686 but there's a reason these were loved by lawmen back in the day. FWIW, I still see this gun carried by armored car guards.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I am convinced one or two rounds of 357 accurately placed with this gun will discourage an attacker. Now, I have to learn all the the quick reload moves.
    If 2 will work, you should not have to reload! I've heard and read that having to reload is not used very often (actually miniscule) in a self defense situation. I guess if you had several attackers 7 may not be enough and you would likely want some black plastic gun that holds 15-17 rounds.

I have an older 686 no-lock and it shoots great. First two shots I made with it, the second shot slightly expanded the hole size of the first shot. I had to stop and do a double take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links