Front strap stipling?

This is a discussion on Front strap stipling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think thats what you call it. I just got a new SA Micro Cpmpact Operater, pics in other thread, and I'd like to get ...

Thread: Front strap stipling?

Front strap stipling?

I think thats what you call it.

I just got a new SA Micro Cpmpact Operater, pics in other thread, and I'd like to get the front strap (the front part of the grip) stippled or something to increase the gripibility (sniglet).

When I fired it, I found the sweat allowed it to move in my hand.

Where can I get this done and how much does something like that run?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

You might try JoJo's Gunworks who did the custom work in Extreme Defenders 1911. Check their website out here. Go to their Gallery section to view pics. They do a nice checkering to the front strap but if you wait till the end of the slide show, you'll see some awesome and sharp stippling on the front strap!

I know stippling isn't near as exacting a job as doing checkering at say 20 or 25 lines per inch, but I do think stippling looks pretty cool and it does give it a good grip surface.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm not sure if you want stippling or checkering but here's a picture of my Kimber's with 30 lpi checkering. They provide this service but I'm unsure of what the cost is. Springfield will most likely do it as well but I'm not sure if they offer the 30 lpi or not. A phone call to either one will answer your questions. If in fact your wanting stippling, I'm not sure if either of the companies I mentioned do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
    I think thats what you call it.

I just got a new SA Micro Cpmpact Operater, pics in other thread, and I'd like to get the front strap (the front part of the grip) stippled or something to increase the gripibility (sniglet).

When I fired it, I found the sweat allowed it to move in my hand.

Where can I get this done and how much does something like that run?

Thanks.
    tawcat,

Why not do it yourself like I did, on two different guns I have. First, the tools I used to stipple, or what I call texture, were a couple of large files and a deadblow mallet. The location/surface/shape, I was stippling/texturing, was the determining factor for which file I used. I always pulled the file toward me when striking with the mallet giving it a bit of a drag effect. On the longer runs I just used the file, striking the metal with a glancing blow until I got to the edges or around some uneven surfaces. I practiced on a bunch of junk metal until I got comfortable doing it. It is surprising how much control you can gain with practice.

The first gun I did was my stainless CZ75B.

The next gun was my Brownng Hi Power.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Sorry guys, checkering is the term I meant. I will contact SA and ask.

Texas45ACP: Wow that looks great, but I am not sure I have the patience to do that! My luck I'd hit the file too hard and crack the frame.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I had Mike Chelmeduka checker the front of my Commander before he went to Iraq. But, I use skateboard tape on my other handguns. It works as well.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice stippling jobs there TEX. Real nice work.

A-Grip

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I had Mike Chelmeduka checker the front of my Commander before he went to Iraq. But, I use skateboard tape on my other handguns. It works as well.
    I thought of just using a piece of A-Grip. Just figured for what I paid for this piece, why cheapen it with a piece of rubber!

Very cool tex45acp!

Excellent job with very cool results!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
    I thought of just using a piece of A-Grip. Just figured for what I paid for this piece, why cheapen it with a piece of rubber!
    The advantage is, if you don't like it, you can simply peel it off. Checkering and stippling are forever.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

So true.

Thank you guys,

I had originally tried the single punch process and though it works, it is very tedious and time consuming. It also makes for a rough grip, somewhat similar to 20lpi checkering. It's like trying to hold onto a wood rasp with someone trying to yank it out of your hand. I tried grinding a punch round, then diamond shaped, and finally triangular. For some folks that rough stippling works, but not for me. I had retrieved the files and was tapping the sample metal to beat down the metal that was sticking up from the punch indentions. I liked the look & moreoverly the feel. I did the whole sample piece trying different methods. I finally came to the pull & tap method that produces a rough enough texture that stays in place in your hand without abrading the skin. It feels about like 40-60lpi checkering.

Yes, stippling & checkering are forever and that's what I was looking for in my guns.

Good luck on your choices!!

Tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links