Defensive Carry banner

Kimber Ultra CDP II - question for Kimber experts

8K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Cloudpeak 
#1 ·
Went to the range today. I took my EDC - my Kimber Ultra CDP II (9mm) and my home defense handgun - a Sig P226, also in 9mm. I took along 200 rounds of Blazer Brass ammo and my Speer Gold Dot SD ammo.

When I first got my Kimber, I worked it in according to directions, and after a few FTFs, in the first couple hundred rounds, it started running like a top after I had put 500 rounds down range, along with 50 SD loads. I made it my EDC at that point. When I go to the range, I usually put 150 rounds of ball ammo through the Kimber and fifty through the SIG. The P226 has always been a flawless shooter, and so I feel the ammo is better spent going through the Kimber.

After shooting 20 Gold Dots from the Kimber, I proceeded to work through my regular 150 rounds of practice ammo. Today, I had two FTFs in consecutive magazines after shooting about 120 rounds down range. They were both the second cartridge in the stack. After dropping the magazine and reinserting it, I was able to fire off the rest of the magazine with no problems.

I am a little concerned. Should I simply continue to fire ammo through it to loosen it up, or is it time to have someone look at it?

I really like the Kimber, and it is scary accurate - even at a distance. Ideas?

See less See more
#7 ·
I've owned three Kimbers, and all of them shot reliably, even during the break-in period.

I used 180-grain hardballs, and have had only one malfunction.

I also carry them without hesitation, and consider them to be better 1911's than any of the Springfields and Colts I've owned over the years.

#3 ·
I'm no expert, but I would consider bringing a light lubricant spray with me to the range if I was shooting that much at a time. Read this good page from Cylinder & Slide on 1911 lubrication and see if following the suggestions helps any. Unless you were lubing as you went, I gotta think it was pretty dry and fouled.

#4 ·
Thanks for the link and the advice. I will exert more effort in keeping her lubed. The Blazer Brass ammo does seem to leave a mess. Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
The CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm is a mechanically similar firearm to your Kimber, in fact the recoil springs are interchangeable between these two guns. In the CZ world, the standard treatment for this issue could include some or most of the following:

1) Increase recoil springs resistance to 18 or 21 lbs. (18 lbs is Wolff part #51818).
2) Clean more frequently and oil slide liberally
3) Clean and dry-lube the magazines
4) Replace magazine springs with +10%
5) Polish feed ramp
6) Polish slide stop

Of course, vet any of these suggestions off a Kimber board first, but I put the Kimber 18lbs recoil spring set in my RAMI and it solved a lot of problems.

#6 ·
Great advice, as always, folks. Many, many thanks to you fine people at DC.

I will focus more on good lubrication and have my local pistolsmith look at the springs and extractor. This handgun is soooo sweet, I would hate for it to become a safe queen.

#8 ·
I too suspect that maybe your slide didnt have enough lubrication on it. I had this issue once-in-a-while until I change my slide lube to grease. Now, mine has been ultra reliable since.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will put a Wolff recoil spring in her as well.

I took her back to the range today - flawless 100 rounds of American Eagle ball ammo. I also discussed it with the guys at the gun shop. I will pay more attention to the lubrication, upgrade the springs to Wolff and the mags to Wilsons, and I will be a happy man. :bier:

The P226 is so reliable, it's boring. :tired:

#13 ·
+1 on the Wilson mags. The only problems I ever had with my Kimber, were with the factory mags...

#14 ·
Maintainance of your magazines is as important as on your weapon. I second Wilson mags because they can be easily disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. I would clean them everytime you clean your gun.
Making your gun as friction free as possible also helps. A polished feed ramp and slide rails help slicken things up in addition to proper lubricant.
As for the 18# spring, I'm not sure. I remember both Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn recommending this in a .45 1911, but a 9mm??? Not saying it's wrong, just something to check.

#15 ·
Great advice. The last two trips to the range were 100%. I have been keeping better track of the lubrication. I have one Wilson mag (the ten rounder as they have yet to make one for the 9mm commander-sized frame), and I can disassemble and clean it like my Sig mags. The factory mags require me to run a patch around the top woth a toothbrush.

I appreciate the advice, guys.

#16 ·
I emailed Wilson a few weeks ago asking about a magazine that would fit flush in my 9mm Ultra CDP. They have them but said they are too new to be on the web yet.

They said the part # i wanted was 500,9c. I ordered one and it fits perfectly. Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to try it out yet.

#21 ·
I push the follower down with a piece of wood about 3/4 of the way down and pin the spring using one of the front holes. When the pressure is released, this will allow the spring to relax in such a way that spring pressure is taken off the bottom part of the follower (the part that slides against the rear surface of the mag) so that it can be shaken free. Once the follower is rattling around in the top of the mag, you can grab a hold of it and manipulate it until it comes out.

If there is spring pressure on the leg of the follower, the follower will not come free when the mag is inverted and shaken. Anyway, this works on all of my mags that have split followers (which is all of them). Can't help with other styles of followers.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.