Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

This is a discussion on Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SubNine Two years ago I would have told you I hated Glocks but have grown to love them for what they're made ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Two years ago I would have told you I hated Glocks but have grown to love them for what they're made for. They may not look like much but they got it where it counts! The 1911s I have owned got dirty much quicker and they took longer to clean thoroughly.

I just feel like I need to have a good 1911 in my collection but there are so many brands to choose from.
    I think you have your answer right there. You can buy two Glocks for $1000, and have reliable out-of-the-box guns. Check out the handgun reliability polls that were done a few weeks back - Kimbers can be hit or miss.

If you really insist on a 1911, I have heard nothing but good reports about Rock ISLAND (sorry for the typo!). They may not be pretty, but they seem to work and the price is reasonable.

As for me - I am DONE with finicky guns, or those that need a "break in period." No thanks.

Someone on another forum had a tag line "Kimbers are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies." Very true! My guns are tools - I don't buy guns to look pretty or to show off. They just need to work - every time.

Glock.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; September 13th, 2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Got Rock River and Rock Island confused!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have owned three Kimbers; two full size, and a compact.
    All gave me troubles, and I finally sold the full size ones. I kept the compact and after sending it off to a gunsmith it is now reliable. The Kimber factory was never able to get it fixed.

I much prefer SA because of the CS, but have had to send the two I have back once. SA did fix the problems, and also paid the shipping which Kimber did not.

My experience is not necessarily typical, but it is my experience. I sure like my SA Compact LW SS, but I don't think they are made anymore. That is a pity in my view.

SA customer is superb.

Regards,
    Jerry

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

If you really insist on a 1911, I have heard nothing but good reports about Rock River Arms. They may not be pretty, but they seem to work and the price is reasonable.
    RRA is no longer taking orders for 1911s, older ones can still be found, but there are no new production RRA 1911s. Always wanted one...

VIP Member
    I own four Kimbers.....one full size in 10mm (Eclipse), two Pro-Carry HDIIs (a .45 & .38super) & a Ultra in .45.

All had short breakin times...under 100 rounds. Even though they know have 1000s thru them.

Good guns for the money. Kimber led the way in making 'custom' options standard on 1911s. Other manufacturers like Springfield followed their lead.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II. It has been flawless. I own five 1911s (Colt O1918, Colt Series 70, Kimber CDP Pro II, Springfield GI, Nighthawk GRP Recon) and they have all been 100% reliable. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm not a kimber fan because I got this beauty for $930+tax.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Kimber is a solid company that sells a good product. However, as is true in most business/industrial situations the products do not always emerge 100% free of problems and that has been the case with Kimber. Of course, the internet magnifies whatever problems may arise as every buyer who has a problem makes his complaint known here. All of that must be taken with a grain of salt as it were. I have had pretty positive experiences with Kimber. I have had the gun in the pic for about five years and have never hand any problems at all. Go figure.

GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I own a Kimber 3inch. Put over 1000rounds through it, not one jam or the like. It was however, a little grainy feeling when I fed (chambered) it aggressive HP's such as Fedaral HST's. I polished the feed ramp and now cycles those HP as slick as snot on a glass door knob...don't even feel the round chambering it's so smooth. Very accurate for short sight distance, and very manageable recoil for a .45 3inch

I enjoy practicing with and and trust it with my life, wife trust it with hers too.

It's the best firearm purchase I've made so far IMHO.

PIC!!

Just think that even the high end auto makers produce a fluke every now and then, and the customers that happen upon those flukes make it very known about their misfortune.....as with any company that produce a product with strict, tight tolerances.
    Last edited by Frogbones; September 13th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added bottom line.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Springfields. I have a Mill Spec, and it go's bang every time, all the time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I have a Tactical Ultra II that's been very reliable. Only problems I've ever encountered was with stock factory mags. Buy some Wilson mags and you will eliminate most problems with 1911's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I'm not a kimber fan because I got this beauty for $930+tax.

I agree with cmdrdredd --- before you blow that kind of money, you had better take a close look at the Dan Wesson CBob. I was just about to buy a Kimber when a dealer placed a DW in front of me.

No comparison.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

If you want a 1911 you can show off to your friends for around $1000, buy a Dan Wesson.

If you want a 1911 that will go bang when crusty, buy a mil spec and fit it so it's comfortable for YOU to shoot all day long.

If you want reliability you can bet your life on, buy a S&W 1911.

If you want POWER and reliability, buy a revolver.

I did the math, looked at the bad reports, checked out what works and what doesn't, what mfg's are here to stay and who are johnny come lately's, and I discovered that S&W is where I'll put my money for an auto loader. Solid reliable firearms, customer service second to NONE, and they've been here doing the job for a long time without resorting to "trickery" to stay in business (hello Springfield and Colt) and their handguns don't blow up in your hand (HI there Glock lovers ).

They are as bad as you think they are, sorry. I had three, still have one. All three are extremely accurate, single shot, rusting, overhyped, overpriced, POS's.

They look pretty, there I said something nice about Mimbers. Regards 18DAI.

I have over 4,000 rounds through my SIS Pro. I put about 5,000 through my CDP Pro and I don't know how many thousands through my Custom II. I shoot IDPA and USPA. I've gone almost 1,000 between cleaning before. I've used the SIS in defensive pistol classes 4 different times.

I've put over 1,500 Hollow Points through them. 850 Hydra-Shoks (to dump the rounds I had when I switched to HST and Ranger-T) and about 300 rounds each of HST and Ranger-T.

Of all the rounds fired, I've only had a total of 5 or 6 failures of any kind. 3 of them were magazine related, the few times I used the Kimber Tac-Pro (?) mags instead of my Wilsons. All were within the first couple hundred rounds.

So, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Kimbers. I had one friend who complained of problems, but there wasn't one in the couple hundred rounds I put through it?? I had another who had a hard time racking the slide on the SIS. He held it lightly, far from his body and pinched and pulled it from nehind. I've racked it in rain and mud with NO PROBLEMS.

A couple unhappy customers can stir up a lot of stuff if they put enough effort into it on the internet.

I would trust my life to any Kimber I've owned. I can honestly say, I had more failures to feed by percentage with my Glock 23, than any of my 1911's. And I have a very tight grip and manage recoil very well. So, do I hate all Glocks? No, I've just had better luck with my 1911's, and I have much more pride of ownership.

Sue me, I like Wilson grips!!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If only they would make them like they did in the early 90's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links