Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

This is a discussion on Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, I love my Tactical Ultra II, and would easily buy another Kimber. My wife got mine used for Xmas a couple of years ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

You know, I love my Tactical Ultra II, and would easily buy another Kimber.

My wife got mine used for Xmas a couple of years ago, It started jamming with different ammo brands and types about once every 5-8 rounds. So I call Kimber up, explain the issue, including mentioning that it appears to be about 2 years old, and I am not the first owner. He said send it in, we will see what we can do. End result was that they repalced the slide, trimmed the spring, and polished up the ramp, tested it, and sent it back. I got a call from Kimber, telling me what they did, and that there was no charge for it, either. All under warranty. The packing slip said charge=0 to confirm it. Best news is, ive had 0 issues with it since its been back.

2. Remove Ads

I'll definitely agree with the Dan Wesson. For the money, it's a great option!

P.S. I have to say, the SIS has a very solid feel, more so that most of the other Kimbers, except the Raptor and the Gold Combat (I think that's the model).
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Someone said something about RRA 1911's being ugly but a good choice. I think he meant the Rock Island Armory line of 1911's. The RRA's were very nice custom pistols. The Rock Islands are being bought for under 500 for the tactical and 350 for the GI. They use the original specs from Colt on the GI and it is a running mudder plucker.

I build 1911's and sell them in my shop as well. As long as Kimber and Smith and Wesson make 1911's, I will always make my mortgage payments.

While the guys are bringing in their Kimbers and Smiths, the guys buying the lower end 1911's are coming in to buy ammo and go back out and shoot.

Stay away from any 1911 with an external extractor especially the Kimbers .

Go with a Dan Wesson or a Fusin Firearms 1911. Fusion is run by Bob Serva who was the builder and president at Dan Wesson before being sold to CZ.

Heck, if you find a used Kimber with the external extractor, go for it!!

You can send it in and they'll replace the entire slide, for free, with a new slide with an internal extractor.

I'd stay away from OTHER 1911's with an external extractor.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie34 View Post
    Someone said something about RRA 1911's being ugly but a good choice. I think he meant the Rock Island Armory line of 1911's. The RRA's were very nice custom pistols. The Rock Islands are being bought for under 500 for the tactical and 350 for the GI. They use the original specs from Colt on the GI and it is a running mudder plucker.

I build 1911's and sell them in my shop as well. As long as Kimber and Smith and Wesson make 1911's, I will always make my mortgage payments.

While the guys are bringing in their Kimbers and Smiths, the guys buying the lower end 1911's are coming in to buy ammo and go back out and shoot.

Stay away from any 1911 with an external extractor especially the Kimbers .

Go with a Dan Wesson or a Fusin Firearms 1911. Fusion is run by Bob Serva who was the builder and president at Dan Wesson before being sold to CZ.
    That would have been me - I corrected my mistake - thanks for catching it! I meant Rock Island.

That's the crux of the issue - COMBAT pistols should NOT have tight tolerances. They should have enough "slop" to feed different ammo, and function while dirty. Not sure where the idea came that "tight" was a GOOD thing, when it comes to a combat pistol - or any combat gun, outside of a sniper rifle.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Well the ONLY 2 1911's i own are both Kimber's

I have a Ultra Carry 2 w/CTC grips for EDC, that did give me a little problem at first (which only turned out to be the slide stop had to be "modified"). I now have 900 rounds through it & that baby functions great & is dead spot accurate especially for a 3 inch...

My other one is a Eclipse Target 2 that i'll be honest i only bought because it was absolutely gorgeous & i really wanted a 5" to see what i could do with it (not for edc though) & with only 250 rounds out of it so far has proven itself quite reliable (i did "modify" the slide stop on this one as well after a couple failures right away, seems to be fine now) & is SUPER accurate...

I did however have a Springfield "Trophy Match" that was a suburb pistol as well (actually my first 1911), very accurate & reliable as well. But it just did not have the persona that the Eclipse has so i sold it to help pay for the Kimber. Was just my personal preference it was a great weapon as well. Either way you wont be disappointed
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    RRA is no longer taking orders for 1911s, older ones can still be found, but there are no new production RRA 1911s. Always wanted one...
    You can still get one John, just order a Les Baer without slide markings.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I had three full-sized Kimbers were the Classic Custom model, and the third a Stainless Gold Match. They were purchased in 1997 to about 1999, so they were of the much-worshiped early era. Well, call me snake-bit, but all three of these gave me drama, and I will NEVER spend money on a Kimber again.

First of all, NONE worked with their factory magazines. After some amount of experimentation, which included Wilson Combat mags and McCormick Power Mags, the Classic Customs would work with Metalform 7-rounders, and one Classic Custom did fine with stock Colt 7-round magazines. The Classic Customs would not reliably lock open when empty, until I installed Wilson Bulletproof Slide stops. Even after all of this, I would get occasional FTFs that relegated one Classic Custom to secondary status, while i carried the other as a duty pistol.

The Stainless Gold Match was supremely accurate, with a great trigger pull, but the first time I got it warm from firing, the extractor bent like a banana in the opposite direction from which 1911 extractors are supposed to curve. OK, easy enough to replace. The part that made me weep was trying to find a magazine that this pistol liked. Well, it finally liked McCormick Power Mags, and NOTHING else.

Meanwhile, I had two Series 80 Colt Government Models, that worked fine with any and all magazines, and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that has been reliable from round one with any and all magazines tried. I had previously owned a Springfield, Inc., full-sized 1911 that was reilable with all mags tried. Just to be clear, none of my magazines were junk; all were name-brand magazines purchased new; Wilson, Colt, McCormick, Metalform, Baer, Ed Brown, and Randall.

Moreover, of people I know personally, as opposed to faceless names on the internet, those who own or owned Kimbers have had to deal with varying levels of drama, from minor frustrations to threatening to sue Kimber after multiple times of the pistol being shipped back to customer service. One guy, ONE, known to me personally, has been happy with his Kimbers; he bought two Classic Customs.

Based on this, and your budget, I would go with Colt or Springfield. If on a budget, you can't afford the drama.

Man, that's too bad.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. From the replies it seems about half of you love your Kimbers and the other half experienced a few malfunctions but mostly with the smaller 3 inch and 4 inch models. I am a traditionalist when it comes to guns and JMB designed the 1911 as a 5" pistol and it seems the 5" designs run the best. At this point I have it narrowed to the following,

Colt XSE
    Kimber Eclipse II
    SW1911

I'll continue to do my research and try and get the best deal I can.

Thanks again everyone!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. From the replies it seems about half of you love your Kimbers and the other half experienced a few malfunctions but mostly with the smaller 3 inch and 4 inch models. I am a traditionalist when it comes to guns and JMB designed the 1911 as a 5" pistol and it seems the 5" designs run the best. At this point I have it narrowed to the following,

Colt XSE
    Kimber Eclipse II
    SW1911

I'll continue to do my research and try and get the best deal I can.

Thanks again everyone!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Most of the reports I have heard about people having problems with Kimbers are the Ultra Carry versions. It is not a fault of the gun in most cases. Any 3" 1911 can exhibit the same problems, it is not a Kimber issue. 3" versions of the 1911 are very picky about how they are held. Insert your favorite female pun here. A 3" 1911 must be held with a very firm grip. I equate it to Homer squeezing Barts neck until his eye balls pop out of his head. Limp wristed grip will result in a higher rate of problems with this type firearm.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Save yourself the angst and get the Springfield or the Smith.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Colt XSE
    Kimber Eclipse II
    SW1911
    Of those listed, I'd go with the Smith or Colt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Here's what you need to know about ANY 1911 that gets into custom territory - 95% of them are put together by assemblers, not gunsmiths. Therefore, if you get one with all of the bells & whistles on it, count on taking it to a competent gunsmith to work through the bugs you may or may not get with the gun. Basically, I have found in my experience with 1911s it is best to go buy a basic gun, and have a gunsmith do the work for you, because you end up spending about the same amount of money......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links