Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

This is a discussion on Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend rolling around again this year I have started searching for the perfect 1911 for me. I like the 1911 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Convince me Kimber isn't as bad as I think they are

With the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend rolling around again this year I have started searching for the perfect 1911 for me. I like the 1911 but the ones I have owned in the past have had the standard GI style grip safety which my shooting hand did not agree with after about 100 rounds. I vowed my next 1911 would be a Springfield Loaded or equivalent. It must be a full size all steel model. I have looked closely at Kimber but I keep hearing mixed reports about them and am not sure I'd be willing to put down 900+ on a gun that may or may not work reliably. I understand they require a 500 round break in period which IMO is insane for a gun retailing at that kind of money.

Other brands I have considered are,

Taurus
    Smith & Wesson
    Colt

I am still after a Springfield Armory Loaded model in stainless but they are extremely difficult to find locally. I would much rather support the local guys versus shopping online and having it sent to my dealer. Most of the ones I find locally are the brands I listed above. My budget is around 1,000.

At this point I am leaning towards S&W or waiting until I find a Springfield Loaded here in town because you know what they say,

"Good things come to those who wait for it!"
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

I've owned a few Kimbers in each size and the only one that didn't give me a problem out of the box was the full size. The smaller ones (at least for me), all had a stove-pipe stoppage at the rate of about 1 in a hundred. Great looking guns and spot on accurate but I wasn't impressed with the reliability.
    Guns are kinda like women....the sexy pretty ones are high maintenance and can be unreliable. The dull ones don't give you any grief and are always there when you need them!

First of all, there is nothing wrong with Kimbers.

I would not buy one though because you can get equivlent performance out of a pistol like a Springfield Loaded. If you want anything better than that I would go with something more custom like a Les Baer. After that, the sky's the limit.

Senior Moderator
    I had a Kimber Warrior that was highly reliable.

However, let me suggest that you look at the HK 45. It's not a 1911, but the ergos are similar, and it shoots nice. I just bought one, and I'll be doing a write up in a bit (need to get some pics first).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

God I hope not! I'm about to drop a chunk of change on one.... I'll take the chance I guess. Worse case scenario for me is, I'll have to take it to my Gunsmith for a good tuning up. I'm thinking those tight puppies just need a good breaking in process, at least I'm hoping that's all it'll need. I thought about Colt as a possibility too. Either way, there's a 1911 in my future.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    "I've owned a few Kimbers in each size and the only one that didn't give me a problem out of the box was the full size. The smaller ones (at least for me), all had a stove-pipe stoppage at the rate of about 1 in a hundred. Great looking guns and spot on accurate but I wasn't impressed with the reliability.
    Guns are kinda like women....the sexy pretty ones are high maintenance and can be unreliable. The dull ones don't give you any grief and are always there when you need them! "

That actually has truth to it LOL!

Two years ago I would have told you I hated Glocks but have grown to love them for what they're made for. They may not look like much but they got it where it counts! The 1911s I have owned got dirty much quicker and they took longer to clean thoroughly.

You're right about guns being kind of like women. The more attractive ones tend to be more picky and higher maintenance than the not so attractive ones that don't care how they look and will stick with you until the end.

At least with guns you can put silencers on them!

I just feel like I need to have a good 1911 in my collection but there are so many brands to choose from.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

SubNine;1297646
    Two years ago I would have told you I hated Glocks but have grown to love them for what they're made for. They may not look like much but they got it where it counts! The 1911s I have owned got dirty much quicker and they took longer to clean thoroughly.

You're right about guns being kind of like women. The more attractive ones tend to be more picky and higher maintenance than the not so attractive ones that don't care how they look and will stick with you until the end.

At least with guns you can put silencers on them!

I just feel like I need to have a good 1911 in my collection but there are so many brands to choose from.

I have one gun that I take to the Bar-B-Q (Kimber Eclipse) and another when driving through the "hood" (XD-9, SW686).

I have a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II with the 3" barrel that's been perfect from day one. I'm not sure on the 500 round break-in period. Mine did seem to function a little smoother or at least seemed to feel a little better around 200 rounds but it could have been my imagination because I had been reading about the long break in period also. I have shot a number of Kimbers and haven't found one that I didn't like. I wouldn't hesitate buying one. Of course though I think there are a lot of very nice 1911s out there and my Dan Wesson CBOB is one of my favorites. It runs about $1000 but you may have trouble finding one.
    Look around and see what you like and go for it. I love the 1911 and I think you will be pleased also.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB Compact, Kimber Ultra CDP II and a G30SF Glock all .45 ACP. I find I carry my Glock more often than the others, not because they are unreliable, they are very reliable, but my Glock holds 10+1 and is super accurate. Best $500.00 gun Ive ever seen.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I just bought a 4" Carry Pro and in the first 250 rounds it hung just out of battery twice, once at round 74 and once at round 186. I had to give the slide a light tap each time and it jumped into battery. For a new 1911 fitted as well as this one is and running 3 different loadings of HB's and 2 different HP's "I" don't consider it a problem.

I was shooting WW white box HB's with the hang up @ round 74. The WW is very dirty and the feed ramp was sooty. At round 76 switched and fired 50 rounds of UMC HB's and 59 rounds of my hand loads (WW230 gr.HB's/AA #5 powder/ww primer) for 109 rounds with various amounts loaded in the mag 1-8 with no stoppage of any kind.
    Round 186 I went to WW white box 230 gr.HP's and the slide hung just out of battery. Again just a tap sent it home and the next 44 rounds ran fine. The last 20 rounds were Fed. 230 gr. HydraShoks and as with any .45 auto loader I have shot or owned they just functioned flawlessly for 63 rounds non stop.

I currently Have a 5" Taurus, 4" Kimber and a USP .45c. and have owned a Colt Gold Cup and a Colt Lt. weight Commander. ALL took some degree (200+ rounds) of break in with the Gold Cup being the worst! The Taurus is a "good" gun but it is no match for the kimber QC wise. If I had to live and fight in a war zone/combat conditions daily I would not reach for anything but my HK.
    That's my $.02 worth.

I have a Kimber Raptor Pro that is almost at the 500 round mark, and I have only had one malfunction and it was in the first couple of mags that went through it. It is the most accurate pistol I own too, so no complaints here.

Well, I'd do it a little different. With a budget of $1000, I'd get that 1911, but it would be a less known brand, lide the Metroarms American Classic (about $450) AND something like the XD9-sub-compact. The change left would go for a set of Hogue grips and hex grip screws for the 1911. The factory grips weren't satisfactory.

With all that said, you can't go wrong with the Kimber. It's a fine weapon. I would love to be able to afford one.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the Kimber as far as I know, but it sounds as if you have your eye's and heart set on the Springer. I'd either wait until you are able to find one, or have a dealer there order it for you. JMO

One positive experience

I only own one Kimber 1911, and all my others are Colts. I bought the Kimber Pro CDP used - it had maybe 2000 rounds through it - and have put another 2000 through it myself. So it is now a well broken-in gun. It runs perfectly and never gives me any feeding or ejection problems. I'd buy another Kimber.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I am still after a Springfield Armory Loaded model in stainless but they are extremely difficult to find locally. I would much rather support the local guys versus shopping online and having it sent to my dealer. Most of the ones I find locally are the brands I listed above. My budget is around 1,000.
    QUOTE SUBNINE

DO your research on all models you consider; AND then look at some you have not considered.
    then when you decide, based on whatever objectives and standards the chosen weapon (S) are to have, {must be reliable for CC, must fit my hand like a glove,} ETC,,, then go to your fav. local gunshop and have them start looking.
    also start looking for yourself,(gunbroker.com),and so on.

Buy the best you can afford, and you will probably never be dissapointed!!!
    P S the Springfield armory sonds like a wonderful choice though!!

WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links