Bought my wife her first pistol today

This is a discussion on Bought my wife her first pistol today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a shooter for sometime but never carried on a regular basis. Although I do have a lifetime permit I never saw the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my wife her first pistol today

I have been a shooter for sometime but never carried on a regular basis. Although I do have a lifetime permit I never saw the need until a a unfortunate event about 6 months ago that made me realize I needed to take better steps to protect my wife and myself. Most of the hand guns I owned were not pieces that I could conceal (1911, Browning Hi-power) on my frame (5'10, 175). So I went out and bought myself a Glock 19 that I have been extremely happy with.

My wife was not at all opposed to me carrying however she never expressed any interest in it her self even though she has gone to the range with me quite a bit and enjoys shooting. Well, about two weeks ago she came to me and said that she wanted to take the plunge. Meth use and production is on the rise and she doesnt feel safe with just pepper spray.

She picked her permit up on friday and I told her I would take her to the gun store on sunday and buy her one pistol of her choosing. After saying that I thought to my self "Better make sure I have room on the visa..." She had spent the last week doing a LOT of research (Which I was proud of her for).

We walked into the gunstore and I turned her loose. She picked up probably 15 differnt pistols. She did a great job getting a feel for what would be comfortable for HER as opposed to what she thought I would tell her to get. I kept my mouth shut for the most part only offering a bit of advice on what I know about quality and customer service of the companies and such.

She settled on a Ruger LPC. After the papperwork was filled out (and about a hour of trying on holsters) we were on our way to the range. She put about 200 rounds through the gun and I put about 50 through. After the session I have to say that I am SERIOUSLY impressed with LCP and I will be picking one up for myself for those time that I dont want to carry my Glock 19. Honestly, I might buy two. One for me and one to have for the area of the house we are in the most.

It was reliable, accurate for what it is and extremely easy to conceal with a pocket holster or iwb holster. Also, at 300.00 it doesnt break the bank. And above all else it makes her feel a lot safer because she can defend her self if need be and not rely on me. All in all, it was a good day.

By the way, first post! Greetings all! I've been reading the forums here since I started carrying but didn't want to post till I got a feel for the place. Figured my wifes first pistol was a good a reason as any

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    tell your wife congrats you should get her on here she could learn a lot and welcome to the forum from michigan
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

RMS
    Welcome from West Ky.

There are not many men on this forum who would/could put 200 rds through an LCP in one session.
    She sounds like a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackawala View Post
    There are not many men on this forum who would/could put 200 rds through an LCP in one session.
    She sounds like a keeper.
    Sorry, I should have qualified that statement. It was a about a 3 hour session so there were plenty of breaks in there. However I figure she will be a tad sore tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Congrats to Mrs Rollo, and welcome from Michigan.
    A word of caution, though, if she is anything like me one can turn into 5 pretty quick
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Opps, typo. She put 100 rounds through, not 200 haha. But regardless shes still tougher then me because after 50 rounds I was more then ready to be done :)

Congratulations!

Regardless of the reason you and your wife decided on taking the plunge to carry on a more serious level, I'm glad that you didn't wait until one of you were an actual victim of violent crime. For so many people, it takes being a crime victim as a catalyst to finally understand that no one is going to be immediately responsible for protecting you except yourself! Bravo, and good job for making that realization! There's no reason to wait until you are emotionally scarred for life or even permanently crippled to realize that critical fact that the police are not going to be there when the crime hits.

As far as the Ruger LCP goes... I love mine! It's an excellent little shooter. I utilize mine as my BUG, but I love how it shoots, how it handles and how accurate it is. For me, the recoil is not an issue. I don't see what all the criticism is regarding that, but hey, some guns which work great for some, won't for others.

However, after one 100 round stretch with my new gun, I tend to keep it down to 50 rounds or so at a time when shooting it. Again, it's a BUG so usually no more than one box at a time goes through it per session. Either 25 or 50 rounds and almost always, someone is wanting to try it out so I get some help with others shooting a couple mags full in that round count.

Welcome to the forum and again, Congratulations to you and the wife!

I hope you will remain a contributing member here and join in with our community. This place is the best on the internet, bar none for the subject we discuss.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ain't that little LCP a winner! Welcome from Kentucky!
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Nice!
    You did that the right way, you let HER pick it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't personally own an LCP, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It also makes me feel good to see women becoming more and more accepting of guns. This will, of course, result in greater peace of mind on your part.

Congrats!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Congrats to you and the wife and the way you handled HER first gun buying experience.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Decide what ammo you want to use for carry. When you go to the range don't shoot the whole box of carry ammo. If the ammo works fine leave enough in the box to use for your carry ammo. Ammo can change easily in OAL (over All Length) from box to box. Congrats on the wife picking out a gun and getting involved with you.

Congrats to you and the wife. Its nice to have fun at the range with the spouse and really share some quality time together.. Thats what a relationship is all about....

And welcome from Baghdad..

Welcome to the group from Las Vegas, Nevada! Rollo, is Mrs. Rollo planning on joining our group with her own membership?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links