Taurus GLITCH???

Taurus GLITCH???

This is a discussion on Taurus GLITCH??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Taurus PT 24/7 (pre-pro).40 S&W. I have put several hundred rounds through it. Yesterday at the range, the trigger stopped pulling the ...

Thread: Taurus GLITCH???

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Taurus GLITCH???

I have a Taurus PT 24/7 (pre-pro).40 S&W. I have put several hundred rounds through it.

Yesterday at the range, the trigger stopped pulling the striker far enough back to break. I could pull and pull and nothing. So, I do the proper thing and unload, clear twice and commence to take it apart and see ***. I couldn't figure it out while at the range, so we killed paper with my Bersa (man that baby's accurate).

I get to it this morning. I take it apart and look down into the trigger guts while I'm pulling the trigger. It feels like something is catchin on something and not allowing it to go back all the way. Then I see it. A pin had worked itself out a little and was blocking the doohickey (official terminology) that pulls the firing pin to the rear. I push the pin back in and voila.

Now, I'm not carrying this gun again until I'm confident that it won't do that again. I'm even considering contacting Taurus about it to see if it's a recurring problem. I've only had the gun 3 months.

Now many of you would have this thing traded without hesitation. I like the gun. I shoot very well with the gun. I'd like to keep the gun and be able to trust it CCW.

How many rounds do you think would be necessary to ensure that it won't happen again?????

Is it worth even messing with???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I have left a post in the past about my experience with Taurus semi-autos (do not want to offend the taurus wheelgun guys as that is a different beast entirely). I do not trust them. I do not ever want another one. I would not wipe my #$@ with one. However, I hope the problem is corrected, for your sake. I would recommend putting a ton of ammo through that piece before using it as your #1 carry gun. Best of luck.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Administrator

Taurus

Take advantage of that wonderful unconditional Taurus guarantee.
    They will fix it...and fix it &...keep on fixing it...for as many times as it breaks...for the rest of your life.

VIP Member
    I'd recommend (if Taurus doesn't have a good answer for you) taking it to a gunsmith and having them replace the pin and check the holes. Could be the pin is a smidge too small or the holes it goes through have worn a little and won't hold the pin. A good gunsmith should be able to mic it and check.

Barring that, probably a couple hundred more rounds and check to see if the pin has moved.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    Seriously, Ditto:
    For a loose pin I sure would not go through the hassle of mailing any firearm back to the maker.
    Any good local gunsmith can easily take care of that very minor problem for you and probably even do it while you wait.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

With QK: If its a roll pin, you just need a new one. If its a soild pin, your smith could either lightly peen the ends, or try a taper pin.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i have the same gun with no problems. but i have called Taurus customer service for other things and they really do a great job. send it back and have them fix it, then run a couple thousand rounds through it. finally it may be capable of being a primary carry gun.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Taurus Glitch

Jarhead79, I also have a 24/7. I've never had a issue with mine, it has performed awesomely for me over 3k rounds so far. But you've got me thinking, the next cleaning I will chk the pins. I recently switched to carrying a taurus PT145. I still practice with the 24/7 (primary home gun) every other trip to the range. I think that about 1k assorted rounds thru it w/o a malfunction would be a minimum after your smith takes a quick look at your pin.
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

Lead Moderator
    Like WJP9, I have had bad experiences with Taurus semi auto's. I will not own another.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Me thinks I'm gonna get it fixed, shoot it a little and see what happens. I think it will do very good duty as a trade in to maybe an XD40 Sub compact. Maybe a Glock 30 or 27. Who knows.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Me thinks I'm gonna get it fixed, shoot it a little and see what happens. I think it will do very good duty as a trade in to maybe an XD40 Sub compact. Maybe a Glock 30 or 27. Who knows.
    I vote for the 27!
    Curry

Glock and Xd's have lost pins too i would either peen it slightly or a low temp glue to hold in place most of the pins on guns like that are made to come out with just slight pressure and its the moon stars and rest of the planets are aligned they will work loose

Never had a taurus wheelie or auto so i cant say for sure what i would do

Like everything else man made, sometimes things happen. I've owned "cheap" off brand guns, fired 1,000's of rds with them and never had a problem. I've also had high end, big name pistols that were nothing but a PITA and spent more time at the repair shop than at the range. You just pay your money and see what you get. Sometimes you get a gem, sometimes a lemon! Usually, it's somewhere in between.

I own several Taurus pistols (one .357 revolver and one auto, a PT-945) and have never had a problem with either. Actually, aside from a trigger pull I think is bit too long, I'd say my 945 is one of the best designed and built pistols I've ever had. I think Taurus guns in general are also one of the best values you'll find these days.

I'd have a local gunsmith take a look at your gun before making any decision (if there's one available and you trust his judgement) and get his opinion. He can PROBABLY fix it at a minimal charge and in shorter order than returning it to the factory, even if it is under warranty. I'd also send Taurus a note explaining the problem and ask their opinion.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I have the PT 945, and have had no problems with it, but anyone can get a lemon; I carry mine, but I strongly recommend the Glock 30 also. I have never had a Glock problem with either the 23 or 30. I also have had great luck with the Witnesses; I have a 9mm Witness that is compensated, and shoots like a .22, is accurate, and NO malfunctions. Just my 2 cents worth...

Sponsored Links