EDC with little or no Rule of Law

This is a discussion on EDC with little or no Rule of Law within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I totally support Rule of Law and work to help LEOs anytime I can. The question comes to mind if something REALLY REALLY bad ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EDC with little or no Rule of Law

EDC with little or no Rule of Law

While I totally support Rule of Law and work to help LEOs anytime I can. The question comes to mind if something REALLY REALLY bad happened in our nation and ROL was not in force despite the best efforts of law enforcement. Would you up grade your everyday carry or is your EDC now in use good enough to protect you and love ones? Another way to put this is if crime rose 1000% due to failed economy etc and you had to move about, is your EDC now enough for you to feel you could make it back home? If you were to up grade your carry what would you carry and try to stay unnoticed by those around you?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nope, would have a rifle at this point as my EDC and my Sig as its back up.

I've settle on a J frame for my primary. I like and trust revolvers. It hides well. It has the firepower that I could in all likelihood need in the particular setting where I usually carry.

If the things you refer to happened in this country, I would likely consider upgrading to a high capacity 9mm carry weapon like a Glock 19 for instance.

I'd probably also invest in a short barreled rifle of some kind to keep in the car. I don't know much about these things. But I'm thinking of something along the lines of an AR with the shorter barrel. I don't know what's out there but something in 9mm (for more capacity than a 223) would also work for this short-rifle type back up.

Maybe a few high capacity "happy sticks" for the Glock would be on order as well.l

A short barreled auto 20 ga. shot gun with short barrel would probably be on order for the home front. I once saw a custom Remington 1100 20 ga. in an arcticle that really got my juices flowing and would fill the bill nicely. It was a pistol grip model as I remember it with Choate options.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my J frame carry and home peotection guns. I'm keeping an eye on things though.

Long answer to a short question. But YES I'd probably want more fire power all the way around.
    Last edited by Marvin Knox; September 14th, 2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

In the unlikely event things got all "Katrina" or "Watts" around here, I would break out my shotties and a couple long guns strategically around the house. In addition, my EDC would become my P226 with a hi-cap mag and two for back up. My Kimber would be demoted to BUG duty.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. Around here, the absolute zaniest times are when the golf club keeps members away for a two-day tournament, or the Neiman-Marcus has an after-holiday sale.

Your neighborhood may vary. Not available in all states. Must be present to win.

If things got THAT bad, you would be foolish to move about on your own, no matter what kind of firepower you had. You don't have eyes on the back of your head!

I was in South Florida after Andrew, and in Somalia. In that situation, you need to band together with your neighbors. Hunker down, and only travel if absolutely necessary.

Long guns are better in this situation. Any defensive scenario will still be up close, as you cannot tell someone's intent from far away. At close range, the shotgun rules. A higher-capacity carbine is a good option as well. Handgun is a backup weapon in this situation - the higher the capacity, the better.

For me - Ruger Mini 14, Remington 870 pump 12 gauge, Glock 19, Glock 26.

The Mini gets Hornady TAP ammo (FMJ will do in 55 gr); the shotgun gets #1 buckshot. Use Federal 124 gr EFMJ in the Glocks, but FMJ will still work if needed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If this scenario were to happen, I think most of us would see the S coming before it hit the fan. That said, my edc (Glock22) would stay with me, and my BOB would get my G17, as far as home? Well, lets say its covered.
    Thanks for the post, its one to ponder on, especially in the times we live in.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

12GA or AR,.... Handgun's would only be back up then.. .

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    While I totally support Rule of Law and work to help LEOs anytime I can. The question comes to mind if something REALLY REALLY bad happened in our nation and ROL was not in force despite the best efforts of law enforcement. Would you up grade your everyday carry or is your EDC now in use good enough to protect you and love ones? Another way to put this is if crime rose 1000% due to failed economy etc and you had to move about, is your EDC now enough for you to feel you could make it back home? If you were to up grade your carry what would you carry and try to stay unnoticed by those around you?
    Remington 870 with Federal 8 or 9 pellet LE 00 buck with Flite control wad.

When you care enough to give the very best.

I think I'd try to find an empty cabin in the middle of a lot of wilderness and wait it out ;-).

Seriously, I'm with the guys who recommend shotguns in a state of anarchy.

It reminds me of a conversation recently with a friend on Facebook who is currently in the state of anarchy known as college. We were talking about Zombieland and he posted a series of quotes from Red Vs. Blue about having a "zombie plan." I asked him if he had such a plan and he said that the general consensus among his friends at Southwestern Missouri State was to go to the local Bass Pro.

Cliff

PS: Zombie Plan:
    Grif: Hey Doc, nobody likes you.
    Doc: What? What're you talking about, everybody likes me.
    Grif: Yeah everybody hates you. You don't fit in.
    Doc: Oh? I think I fit in just fine.
    Grif: Hreally.
    Doc: Yes.
    Grif: Okay, then let me ask you this Doc. What's your zombie plan?
    Doc: My what?
    Grif: There's two kinds of people in the world Doc, those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those last people "dinner."
    Doc: Nobody does that.
    Grif: In my zombie plan, I'm going to Alaska, because zombies have no body heat. They'll freeze like corpsicles. It's brilliant.
    Doc: Nobody else thinks about stuff like that.
    Grif: Hey Simmons!
    Simmons: (at the warthog down below) What?!
    Grif: What's your zombie plan?
    Simmons: I have two weeks' worth of food stored in my attic. I climb up and pull up the ladder with me.
    Doc: What!?
    Grif: And what happens at the end of the two weeks?
    Simmons: Oh, I'm keeping that to myself. I don't wanna risk you turning in to a zombie and knowing what I'm up to.
    Doc: Oh come on!
    Simmons: You still doin' Alaska?
    Grif: You know it!
    Simmons: You'll never make it, Grif. The major freeways will be choked with stalled cars from people trying to flee the major population centers. It's gonna be nothin' but a tasty flesh bottleneck.
    Grif: I'm just gonna have to take that risk.
    Simmons: Good luck to you Grif.
    Grif: Good luck to you too, Simmons.
    Doc: Are you guys brain damaged?
    Sarge: (appearing on the base) Hey, knuckleheads, what's all the yammerin' about?
    Doc: Hey Sarge, do you have a, quote, zombie plan, unquote? Hmhm.
    Sarge: A zombie plan, of course not!
    Doc: See, I told you-
    Sarge: I have thirty-seven different zombie plans!
    Grif: Wow! Now that's preparation. I am seriously impressed, Sarge.
    Sarge: Don't be, dirtbag. In thirty-six of the thirty-seven plans I use your fresh corpse as bait, so that I can make my initial escape, from the legions of the undead!
    Grif: Well, at least I know there's one plan where I-
    Sarge: And in the thirty-seventh plan, I knowingly infect myself with the zombie virus, just so that I can devour you!
    Doc: Sarge you've gotta be pullin' my leg.
    Sarge: Why do you think I carry a shotgun with me at all times? You have to be ready to act on a moment's notice! Hyah!

My collection needs upgrading for a SHTF situation. From what I've read of what happened in Argentina, I think 10thmtn has the right idea. Arm up, travel in groups. Long guns might be out for EDC though. The short, pistolgrip 20Ga. that Marvin Knox sounds interesting, maybe for the vehicle. The BGs will most likely be in groups, so weapons should be appropriate. Of course, you will also want food, water, ammunition, medicine, etc.

AK 47 as the EDC at that point...Ruger Super redhawk for BUG. God help us all if something like this happens.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    ....Thank god, I thought me and my friends were the only ones with a Zombie Plan.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    AK 47 as the EDC at that point.... God help us all if something like this happens.

NO DOUBT... my EDC would be my AK-47...

I would consider adding a rifle and/or shotgun to be carried in the vehicle. That would be about the only change.

I am a firm believer in carrying a BUG and as such when venturing out beyond my usual rural town of 3,000 people I carry two hi-capacity pistols. My usual BUG is an XD9sc and my primary is a G-23. One or two reloads for each gun and I feel totally capable of handling any situation as it unfolds today.

So, if society collapse and rule of law is unenforced, the only thing different I would do may be to add a long gun to my vehicle.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    12Ga Shotgun, Sig P220, Sog Sealpup, Camelback, bodyarmor, 4 mags for my Sig, and 40 rounds of shotgun 00buck. As well as one of my BOB's.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links