Defensive Carry banner

LCR for the wife

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  45tex 
#1 ·
My wife has finally gotten used to me carrying and she has decided that she likes the idea of having some self defense options available to her. I am often out of town and I have convinced her to take some classes, get her carry permit and get a weapon of her own. She hasn't had an opportunity to fire anything other than my HK USPc 40. She didn't think the recoil was too bad but the grip was too large for here to comfortably handle. We have looked at a couple of different guns at the LGS and she has decided that she really likes the Ruger LCR with the CT laser. She likes the simplicity of the revolver and the grip and trigger fit her hand just right.
I have heard alot of good reviews and was wondering if anyone had any comments on the LCR.

Thanks

#4 ·
Make sure she puts a few rounds through one BEFORE you/she buys it. The recoil can be daunting for an inexperienced shooter, even though it's a .380.

#5 ·
I owned two S&W J-frames in the past; a 442 and a 642 but sold/traded them due to not liking the unpleasant recoil with the small stock grips. If you put the bigger, fatter rubber grips on, it was a little easier, but then you could no longer pocket it.

I saw an LCR in the rental case a few weeks ago at my range and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice a snubbie it is! IMO, the trigger is smooth and nicer than the S&W and they really did a great job of making a grip that is small for CCW, yet offers decent recoil absorption. It also "felt" a little slimmer due to the cylinder being more fluted than the S&W snubbies I had.

I told my friends it was like what Glock would have built if they went into the wheelgun business!

As far as lasers; I DO NOT like them or recommend them due to what happened to me. I had purchased them for my LCP and P239 but found that it gives you a sort of tunnel vision where you keep looking for that little red dot and lose track of what you are looking at and what's going on around you. Just my opinion.

#8 ·
Jex, Congrats on the wife picking up on the ability to take care of herself. If she really likes the Ruger LCR, try and find an opportunity for her to shoot one.

I got to handle one at a local gun show the other day. I was kind of cool, but seemed to be kind of like a disposable gun to me. Now I own a Ruger LCP and don't hold the same feeling regarding that pistol.

Maybe the LCR is still too new of a concept. It did have a decent trigger but I really only had a few moments to examine it. I have not had an opportunity to shoot one.

I would feel that if you wanted a really light weight revolver, why not go with an all metal scandium or Ti frame alloy?

Still, if it proves out to be a decent gun in the long run, I don't have any objections to it. It was a cool little gun. Just hasn't grown on me yet.

My wife carries an SP-101. We have two SP-101's and a 3" stainless Ruger Speed Six. So along with the LCP, I kind of like Rugers in general.

#12 ·
If your wife can take the recoil, it's a great little gun. I carry mine more than any other gun during the warm weather. Sometimes I forget I'm carrying it. I got mine without the laser grips, since I read that the recoil was heavier with the laser grips. I recently had an incident where I thought someone was in the house, in my rush to get a firearm I was surprised that I instinctively went for the LCR. Something about the simplicity made me grab it first. Makes me want to get more revolvers. Whenever I wear heavier clothes I still wear an automatic though.

#13 ·
I too bought a Ruger LCR for my wife. After carrying light caliber semi-autos for some time, my wife finally decided that she wanted the perfect balance of size, power and reliability.

After checking out a couple of local dealers and handling firearms like the M&P9c, Walther PPS9, S&W 442 and others, this is what she chose:

I hate to admit that my wife was out shooting me the first time we hit the range. She was surprised at the recoil, but did not seem to mind it much at all. She absolutely loves the LCR and feels better protected than ever before.

What a gal!

The best part of the Ruger LCR from my perspective is that it only cost me $390 + tax out the door. This is less than any other firearm I own. Yea me!

#17 ·
My wife carries a Kahr CW9 when she is away from home. I work two or three nights a week and she carries it at home on those nights. She doesn't mind in the fall and winter when she is wearing jeans around the house, but hates it when she is wearing shorts or something that has an elastic waist.

We are looking for something lighter than the Kahr. I am looking for something more powerful than a .380. She used to have a S&W 638, but sold it because she had trouble pulling the trigger. To me the LCR trigger is much easier to pull than the 638. I think the difference in the trigger system and the fact that the grip is lower on the frame makes this true. The trigger on a standard revolver is pulled back and up whereas the LCR trigger pulls back. The trigger pull is more like that of a semi-auto than that of a traditional revolver.

We will get to let her see what she thinks of the LCR and the trigger next month. If she likes it we will give it a try.

#18 ·
You may want to see if you can try the trigger of a used LCR. It is amazing how this good trigger becomes a great trigger after a bit of shooting and dry firing. It lightens up by at least 2 pounds.

#19 ·
We checked out a LCR the other day.

Both loved the light weight and smooth/light DA.

My wife didn't like the grip as much as I did.

She really liked the engraved NRA women's 442.

At least it isn't another TALO gun.

#21 ·
She picked it out...:hand10:
She likes it...:hand10:
That's a great start...the rest will follow.:yup:

You are already ahead of many couples.:congrats:

#22 ·
Just my .02 but I prefer my wife and daughter to carry a shinny weapon. Wife PT-111, daughter S&W 638, so the BG knows exactly whats being pointed at him and hopefully that will be enough of a deterent and lasers for low light. Again just my .02

#23 ·
Well the LGS had the Ruger LCR with the CT grips for a pretty good price ($595 + tax) and I decided to jump on it. Much better price than all of the other shops in the area (Gander wanted as much as 750). We just have to pick up some ammo and get some free time to hit the range and break it in.

#24 ·
I haven't read all of the comments, but how many people referenced the LCP thinking that's what you were talking about? Happens every thread, haha.

J-frames are great for women when they're empty, but the recoil is can be stout. I'll admit, I don't even like shooting my Airweight that much.

CT grips are a great addition to any handgun IMO.

#26 ·
The wife just qualified with my 640 Centennial. Its a 25+ year old stainless J-frame. It is way too heavy. I have always played with it but seldom carried it. She let me know it will not be sitting round the safe any longer. And she doesn't want the LCR. Soooooo, I said since we were gonna buy you a "new" gun anyway (honey), do you mind if I buy myself the LCR. I thought my logic was flawless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.