LCR for the wife

LCR for the wife

This is a discussion on LCR for the wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has finally gotten used to me carrying and she has decided that she likes the idea of having some self defense options available ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LCR for the wife

My wife has finally gotten used to me carrying and she has decided that she likes the idea of having some self defense options available to her. I am often out of town and I have convinced her to take some classes, get her carry permit and get a weapon of her own. She hasn't had an opportunity to fire anything other than my HK USPc 40. She didn't think the recoil was too bad but the grip was too large for here to comfortably handle. We have looked at a couple of different guns at the LGS and she has decided that she really likes the Ruger LCR with the CT laser. She likes the simplicity of the revolver and the grip and trigger fit her hand just right.
    I have heard alot of good reviews and was wondering if anyone had any comments on the LCR.

Thanks

I shot a friends LCR.
    If I did not already own a J frame, I would own a LCR.
    I have CT grips on my J frame and it is the perfect carry gun (for me).
    I would expect the same of the LCR.

She will carry it a lot more than a heavier revolver also!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Make sure she puts a few rounds through one BEFORE you/she buys it. The recoil can be daunting for an inexperienced shooter, even though it's a .380.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

EW3
    I owned two S&W J-frames in the past; a 442 and a 642 but sold/traded them due to not liking the unpleasant recoil with the small stock grips. If you put the bigger, fatter rubber grips on, it was a little easier, but then you could no longer pocket it.

I saw an LCR in the rental case a few weeks ago at my range and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice a snubbie it is! IMO, the trigger is smooth and nicer than the S&W and they really did a great job of making a grip that is small for CCW, yet offers decent recoil absorption. It also "felt" a little slimmer due to the cylinder being more fluted than the S&W snubbies I had.

I told my friends it was like what Glock would have built if they went into the wheelgun business!

As far as lasers; I DO NOT like them or recommend them due to what happened to me. I had purchased them for my LCP and P239 but found that it gives you a sort of tunnel vision where you keep looking for that little red dot and lose track of what you are looking at and what's going on around you. Just my opinion.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Make sure she puts a few rounds through one BEFORE you/she buys it. The recoil can be daunting for an inexperienced shooter, even though it's a .380.
    I think he's referring to the LCR in .38, not the LCP in .380
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I own an LCR and love it. The trigger pull alone sold it over the S&W 442/642's. Hits right where I point it.

Jex, Congrats on the wife picking up on the ability to take care of herself. If she really likes the Ruger LCR, try and find an opportunity for her to shoot one.

I got to handle one at a local gun show the other day. I was kind of cool, but seemed to be kind of like a disposable gun to me. Now I own a Ruger LCP and don't hold the same feeling regarding that pistol.

Maybe the LCR is still too new of a concept. It did have a decent trigger but I really only had a few moments to examine it. I have not had an opportunity to shoot one.

I would feel that if you wanted a really light weight revolver, why not go with an all metal scandium or Ti frame alloy?

Still, if it proves out to be a decent gun in the long run, I don't have any objections to it. It was a cool little gun. Just hasn't grown on me yet.

My wife carries an SP-101. We have two SP-101's and a 3" stainless Ruger Speed Six. So along with the LCP, I kind of like Rugers in general.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Everytime I see an LCR ad in one of the gunnie magazines the juices start flowing...... sooooooooo here's a question for my fellow gunnies...

What does one have to pay for this lightweight Ruger revolver?

Thanks........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I think he's referring to the LCR in .38, not the LCP in .380
    Absolutely correct!!! My bad.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Everytime I see an LCR ad in one of the gunnie magazines the juices start flowing...... sooooooooo here's a question for my fellow gunnies...

What does one have to pay for this lightweight Ruger revolver?

Thanks........
    I paid $419 shipped for mine off Gunbroker, no laser grips though.

If your wife can take the recoil, it's a great little gun. I carry mine more than any other gun during the warm weather. Sometimes I forget I'm carrying it. I got mine without the laser grips, since I read that the recoil was heavier with the laser grips. I recently had an incident where I thought someone was in the house, in my rush to get a firearm I was surprised that I instinctively went for the LCR. Something about the simplicity made me grab it first. Makes me want to get more revolvers. Whenever I wear heavier clothes I still wear an automatic though.

I too bought a Ruger LCR for my wife. After carrying light caliber semi-autos for some time, my wife finally decided that she wanted the perfect balance of size, power and reliability.

After checking out a couple of local dealers and handling firearms like the M&P9c, Walther PPS9, S&W 442 and others, this is what she chose:

I hate to admit that my wife was out shooting me the first time we hit the range. She was surprised at the recoil, but did not seem to mind it much at all. She absolutely loves the LCR and feels better protected than ever before.

What a gal!

The best part of the Ruger LCR from my perspective is that it only cost me $390 + tax out the door. This is less than any other firearm I own. Yea me!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I paid $380+tax.

It doesn't matter what any of us think, what she thinks is what counts.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links