My New Ruger LCP

My New Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on My New Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happy Monday, I just bought a new Ruger LCP and wanted to know any tips,tricks or suggestions. Gander also had 380 ammo... Thanks,...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Ruger LCP

My New Ruger LCP

Happy Monday,
    I just bought a new Ruger LCP and wanted to know any tips,tricks or suggestions.

Gander also had 380 ammo...

Thanks,

Last edited by eldorado; September 14th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Great little pistol. Congrats. Break it in good and get ya the pachmayr slip on grip. Makes a big difference. And I can't say enough about the Hornady Critical Defense rounds, there the best IMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Put a dab of "White Out" or paint on the front sight. The pinkie extension helps a LOT!
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Very sweet little gun. Mine is awesome and fills the bill nicely as a BUG.

I found mine to be incredibly accurate in the context of what it is. A "mouse gun."

I also think it is more accurate in rapid fire as opposed to slow aimed two handed fire.

I get good 3 inch groups one handed rapid fire with strong side and 4-6 inch groups one handed rapid fire with weak side at about 5-7 yards.

Slow two handed aimed fire seems to be about 4-5 inches.

Also, first time shooting mine, myself and J Man were able to make a small 12 or 14 oz styrofoam cup dance on the ground, hitting it on the move in rapid fire two hand grip at 5 or 6 yards.

All in all, I'm not getting rid of mine. It's a sweet little gun!

Right now it's only a pocket carry gun with a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, but I like this gun so much I'm thinking of getting a belt holster for it as well.

It will always be a BUG, but I may start carrying it on the weak side hip in the future.

Mine is also post recall production with the 371-XXXXX serial number pre-fix. It is quite apparent they have gotten any problems worked out.

I have about 400 + round count on it so far without a hiccup. Various brand FMJ's and Double Tap Gold Dot HP's and Hornady Critical Defense.

The Pearce grip extensions are a real plus and I got two spare factory mags from the Elsie Pea website.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n,
    "Mine is also post recall production with the 371-XXXXX serial number pre-fix."

I knew about the recall ant the higher s#'s mine is 372-13xxx

I have to find a pocket holster( will look at the Nemesis) and some extra magazines

Question, are you folks carrying this bug chambered?

PS, My EDC Kimber is always cocked & locked.

Absolutely carry with round chambered. With the gun holstered it is perfectly safe.

I carry an XD9sc from time to time in a pocket holster and it is chambered as well.

For me, the very nature of a BUG means that if you have to go to it... Things are very bad and desperate and having to chamber a round in the BUG is recipe for disaster! The BUG should be good to go! Just grab and blast!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a new one too. I love the fact that it is so easy to conceal. You may want to take a look at Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source.

Distinguished Member
    Long, heavy trigger pull makes this gun good to carry loaded. Think about this, the slide is small, under stress are you 100% sure you could grip and pull the slide?????

Life happens fast, death sometimes faster, so be ready!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"Bark'n, I carry an XD9sc from time to time in a pocket holster and it is chambered as well."

I figured that much..just ordered a pocket holster from Ruger.

I didn't think you could pocket carry that XD9sc...

That is going to be my next purchase, then on to an AR platform maybe Ruger maybe sig 556

[QUOTE=SleepingZ;1299214]Long, heavy trigger pull makes this gun good to carry loaded. Think about this, the slide is small, under stress are you 100% sure you could grip and pull the slide?????

It seems to have a long pull I like that in a bug gun.

I was also looking at the Beretta .32 Tomcat @ $400.00... I had own a Jetfire .25 and used that gun along with my S&W 640 as bugs, I liked that old Beretta.

EW3
    1. YES, keep it chambered. DAO and a good pocket holster = very safe.

2. Paint the front sight bump with Bright Sights paint; I use orange.

3. Mine loves Rem Golden Saber for carry, pretty much anything you can find in FMJ for practice.

4. A Desantis Nemesis is the way to go for non-leather pocket holsters.

5. The Ruger finger extensions work well, the Pearce ones even better but make the gun longer and print more in the pocket.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

nice little pistol, congrats!

Can't pocket carry the XD9sc in jeans. It fits... just no way it's coming out in the same hour. But for baggy shorts or pleated khaki's like chino's no prob!

Sometimes it looks like I'm carrying a wallet in my front pocket but with the pocket holster, it doesn't look like a gun.

But now I have my LCP, it goes in the pocket and XD9sc on the hip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Just got my LCP the other day from local gun store for $249.00 out the door. 380 ammo is starting to come around. Our local Dick's Sporting Goods store had a whole shelf full of Blazer 95gr FMJ and UMC 250 round value packs.

Great gun! Good luck with it!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Niiiiice, the perfect pocket companion.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links