Defensive Carry banner

Most popular carry caliber

3K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  Rexster 
#1 ·
I am going to take a guess and say a 38 or a 45.

#3 ·
9mm

What do I win? (i bet we have a poll somewhere here on this, im going hunting)

#4 ·
Most popular but not best order:

1. 9mm
2. .38 sp
3. .357
4. .45
5. .380

#9 ·
I would switch .380 with .40 there are a lot of police caring .40. I believe most 1911 guy's leave there man gun in the safe because its too heavy... so I would keep .45 at #4 Actually I bet .22 is above .380. well here's my guess:
1. 38/.357 I believe they need to go together.
2. 9mm
3. .40 a lot of cops
4. .45
5. .22 ghetto
6. .380 even though its a 9mm short you can't use them interchangeably.

#8 ·
Yeah, I remember that poll. It was the one that didn't list .44 Magnum:blink:

#20 ·
I can't shoot any holes in that answer. Let's go with it. Yeah....I remember that poll as well.

#15 ·
I believe most 1911 guy's leave there man gun in the safe because its too heavy...
Ummmm me no thinks so:comeandgetsome: Every day all day.

#16 ·
The most popular bullet diameter.

I'd say the .38 class of bullets is most popular because it covers the 9mm, .38 Special and 357 Magnum.

Then maybe the .45 bullets with the .45ACP leading the pack there.

Followed by the .40 caliber bullets.

#19 ·
Poll results are here, and sorry about not having .44 on there at first...I'm forever on Rugergirl's blacklist for that one :frown:

There have been more results while I'll recompile when I can, but with 140 responses (asking people for their primary carry only, and if they have more than one, to choose one):

9mm: 49 (35%)
.45: 40 (29%)
.40 S&W: 22 (16%)
.38 Special: 12 (9%)
.380 ACP: 9 (6%)

For me, I'm primarily a .380 due to lifestyle, but also occasionally manage a 9mm, and am working on carrying a .45 more regularly.

#21 ·
Going by the results of those in the CHL classes that I participate in, around here, the most popular caliber would be 9mm.

Several reason for that. Most guns are available in 9MM and even some smaller guns that are designed to be carried concealed. Its popular, dosent recoil much and the ammo is easy to get.

#22 ·
I wonder how many of them 45ACP post really carry EVERY DAY, 24/7....... ??? I know I didn't carry daily before I bought a compact,.. It was just to hard to keep concealed and too heavy for comfort,..

It is one thing to say 45acp is the best man stopper out there, it is another thing to carry one everywhere you go,...

I would bet that the true daily carry people carry 38/357 and 9mm and .380's,.. I know of one that carrys a 40S&W most places,... He is a rare person.. LOL

#24 ·
At least you didn't answer with the "I carry a .45 'cuz they don't make a .46" snark.

I tell those guys, "Yeah? Well they do make a .50AE. Why aren't totin' that, tough guy?"

#25 ·
This would be a more educated, serious discussion if the OP had stated "cartridge" rather than "caliber."

.355 is probably the most popular carry caliber of forum members, as it is the bore diameter of several popular cartridges. But then, there are many older folks who may not be into computers, who came of age when .357 caliber was much more entrenched, with .38 Special being the most common cartridge with the .357 bore diameter. So, .355 may have yet to overtake .357 in overall popularity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.