FEG PA63 problem need help

This is a discussion on FEG PA63 problem need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My FEG PA 63 does not like H/P but is 100% with FMJ. The 9x18 round seems to have plenty of fire power with out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FEG PA63 problem need help

My FEG PA 63 does not like H/P but is 100% with FMJ. The 9x18 round seems to have plenty of fire power with out much over penetration. Gun recoils hard and barrel flip is noticeable but is very accurate even at long range. Side note: My son who has better eyes and studier hand than I can easily fit a 10 inch circle at 100 years with this little pistol. Round will penetrate 1/2 inch plywood and just keep going at this range. Is there a way to fix the H/P problem? Do any of you carry the PA63 for EDC and if so what method and holster do you use? Thanks for the help!!!!!

EW3
    What 9x18 HP where you using? Remember that these were military pistols designed for ball ammo.

I had a Makarov, very similar to the FEG, that fired Hornady XTP's with no issues. You may want to try them if you can find them.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

First thing is see where the hollowpoint hangs up,the feed ramp may just need polished to make it a little slicker
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are you trying the Silver Bear HPs? Unlike the Hornady HPs they have a little smaller cavity that might just make a difference in feeding.

My FEG R61, a .380, was a bit problematic with HPs. A careful polishing of the feed ramp was the cure.

Senior Moderator
    Try some of the Remington HP's. They have a smaller cavity with a more rounded profile.

As noted already, some of these guns have rough feed ramps. Take a Dremel with a Cratex bullet nose on it and polish it until it is nearly a mirror finish.I have done this with several 62's and 63's and it worked well.

They are great guns for the money.I have never seen one that wasnt accurate.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hi Searcher,, I also have a FEG PA63 I use it for a conceal and carry piece, All the time,, At the range it shoots HP's fine,, I shoot 94grain silver bear,, and also ball brown bear,, I carry it in a fobus retention holster, its a sig sauer, 230 or 232, model SG3,,, Thats what I carry,,

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Just buy several boxes of different HP Mak ammo and see what works best. Thats about the only way to tell what works best in your gun. Most PA63 shooters have good results with Silver Bear HP ammo.

Just about any holster for the PPK should work well with the PA6.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

My FEG PA-63 shoots Russian Silver Bear HP or FMJ ammo with 100% reliability. I purchase it from JG in Arizona.

I actually prefer the Russian Silver Bear FMJ to the HP. I think penetration and reliability are more important than bullet expansion.

gold40

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    Hi Searcher,, I also have a FEG PA63 I use it for a conceal and carry piece, All the time,, At the range it shoots HP's fine,, I shoot 94grain silver bear,, and also ball brown bear,, I carry it in a fobus retention holster, its a sig sauer, 230 or 232, model SG3,,, Thats what I carry,,
    How do you carry? I mean in what condition is the gun in (safety on or off etc etc. How do you work the holster for EDC and do you carry a spare mag? I have not worked all this out with the PA63 so any info from someone that carries this weapon CC would be a real help. By the way went to range Saturday and ran a box of ammo thought the PA63. I really like shooting this little pistol only used ball ammo and had no problems. Thank you in advance for your help!

I am fairly new also,, So here goes,, I carry a spare mag in my back pocket, I also carry with fobus retention belt holster,, The round is in the chamber, with the hammer down, Saftey off in DA status, first shot is double action, Its not a baretta, or ruger or smith, But all I can afford right now being off work, but better than being unarmed,, And I like the round, down from a 9mm but alittle bigger than a 380, good shooting little gun!!
    Last edited by tradermike69; September 21st, 2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: left out something

Thank you for the answer!! When I took my CHL class there were 12 in class and 5 were shooting PA63. They all did well and I felt right at home shooting with them. I painted the front sight with white nail polish and the back with bright orange, this seemed to help these 60 year old eyes. At the range i shoot at you can move around and shoot as long as you do not endanger anyone else. Most of the time we are the only ones on range. When i move up on the target are back or at 45* angle the PA63 really shines. I try to fire every time my left foot touched the ground. Also will shoot three targets double tap as fast as possible and the little gun just works wonders. Still working on best way to carry CC with PA63 but I do trust this little gun.

When I carry my FEG PA 63, it is in a Blackhawk nylon pancake holster no retention, right side, safety off, and spare mag. I also carry a P 64 front left pocket. When I don't carry it I will carry the CZ 82 in same holster, safety off, and a spare mag. FEG will use any holster for the PPK. I have a Don Hume JIT slide holster (PPK) for sale at $20 shipped if anyone is interested

Smile

My PA-63 is usually the "car gun" residing under the driver's seat.

When I do carry it, it is IWB in a MIKA holster.

It always has a round chambered, safety off, and hammer down. I don't bother with an extra magazine, as I'm not a LEO and think 4 or 5 rounds will be enough to defend myself. I don't go into public housing projects, the 'hood, or biker bars; and live in a middle income suburb.

I'll likely never need to fire it in self defense, but it is a comfort to have available.
    TheBigWanad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    My PA-63 is usually the "car gun" residing under the driver's seat.

When I do carry it, it is IWB in a MIKA holster.

It always has a round chambered, safety off, and hammer down. I don't bother with an extra magazine, as I'm not a LEO and think 4 or 5 rounds will be enough to defend myself. I don't go into public housing projects, the 'hood, or biker bars; and live in a middle income suburb.

I'll likely never need to fire it in self defense, but it is a comfort to have available.

I carry one extra mag in case of malfunctions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links