S&W 40ve help

S&W 40ve help

This is a discussion on S&W 40ve help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok im new to the forum so thx for any help yall can give me... I just bought the 40ve in early feburary and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 40ve help

S&W 40ve help

Ok im new to the forum so thx for any help yall can give me... I just bought the 40ve in early feburary and have about 350 rds throught... The trigger is really heavy and ive read ALOT about this issue, but what i havent read is different ways to fix it (or lessen the pull). Ive heard that dry fire will help alot but if soemthing goes wrong will S&W warrenty it?? also my step dad says he thinks the glock 40 cal. trigger spring are interchangable and will lessen the pull to about 8lv. anby help with the issue would be of great thanks.

also do they mean dry fire with snap caps or will spent casings work just fine. This is my first conceal carry handgun. Ive owned S&W revolvers before but never carried them.

Welcome to the forum.

Dry fire will help break in the trigger for sure, but I would use snap caps to do it. It'll most likely be fine to dry fire modern pistols for the most part, but my philosophy is, why chance it.JMO

Your step dad is correct, there are trigger mods for the Glock trigger system, but I'm not sure about the 40VE.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Dry fire and live fire has helped mine much. But I like the still "D/A feel" of the trigger to guard against ND's as it has no external safety.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have the 40 VE and yes, dry fire/snap caps will lessen the pull, as will many range trips (which are more fun than dry fires )

What I did to mine was Google "Sigma VE trigger job" and looked around for a tutorial that seemed like it would work. Basically all you have to do it remove a 2nd spring in the trigger assembly, the larger of the two, as all it is designed for is adding to the required pull.

Keep the spring in case you ever have to send in the gun to S&W for repairs, put it back in before you send it off.

**NOTE: I did this knowing I am not a gun smith and knowing it would most likely void the warranty.**
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Dry fire it and it will help you with your trigger control and grip in the process. Win-win.

Note: I don't modify any of my carry guns when it comes to trigger weight because you don't want a light primer strikes when you really need it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I have the 40 VE and yes, dry fire/snap caps will lessen the pull, as will many range trips (which are more fun than dry fires )

What I did to mine was Google "Sigma VE trigger job" and looked around for a tutorial that seemed like it would work. Basically all you have to do it remove a 2nd spring in the trigger assembly, the larger of the two, as all it is designed for is adding to the required pull.

Keep the spring in case you ever have to send in the gun to S&W for repairs, put it back in before you send it off. And this doesn't lighten the primer strike. These springs are there solely to increase the trigger pull.

**NOTE: I did this knowing I am not a gun smith and knowing it would most likely void the warranty.**
    I've done this and it works really well. Takes the trigger pull down to a resonible 6 lbs. It's a completely differnet gun now.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I read about this gun on one of the police forums. One of the common complaints was a "tight" or "heavy" trigger. Reference was made about a "spring kit" to remedy this. You might check with Wolff springs for such a thing.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Make sure there is no goo in striker cannel oil/dirt/grit/ECT. KEEP DRY & CLEAN
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

hey thx for all the suggestions. My step dad suggested that glock makes a spring kits that is interchangable with the 40 ve??? I havent been able to find anymore out about this but I just picked up a pack of snap caps and ill just dry fire and get to the range more often. Another question is what is a resonable trriger pull for a carry gun, obviously to light is bad but what is ideal? 8lb, 6lb, 10lb so on so forth.

There is a better way!

I have done a few of these Sigma mods and you can get the desired trigger weight reduction, but usually with some risks. Some of the risks are voiding the manufacturers warranty, light primer strikes or even a malfunctioning firearm.

There is a MUCH better way of reducing the trigger weight on a Sigma.

You need only call S& W customer service to complain that the trigger is causing you to be inaccurate in your shooting. They will send you a pre-paid shipping label and instructions to ship it to an authorized smith. You will have your Sigma returned with an approved trigger job that will feel the way Sigma's did before the Glock lawsuit.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

but with the trigger work being done will i be able somewhat chose my desired trigger wheigt? and what if i move to a state which requires a certain trigger pull? Reason is im moving fron califonia to Louisiana at the end of september? I dont really know louisianas gun laws ecept that they are a PRO OC state (which is GREAT news to me).
    When it comes down to life or death, I choose life. Help promote defensive carry and gun ownership...

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Im not sure about the interchangeable glock parts though...just about everyone who owns a sigma(especially me)knows that glock and SW got into a big patent suit over the design of the sigma. long story short, SW had to make some subtle changes to the sigma, especially in the trigger category. But anywho, dry fire-dryfire-dryfire. if anything the heavier trigger will force you to become a better shooter and make you appreciate the "squeeze" over the "pull" technique.

ya practice is alwasy the best option but i own other rifles and muzzleloaders that are pulling of at anywhere from 2-4 lbs for competion. So its been a little hard shooting the 40ve accuratly due to the fact im so used to barely touching off.
    When it comes down to life or death, I choose life. Help promote defensive carry and gun ownership...

I just found on the Smith and Wesson web site in the customer support section, that they do say that dry fire is safe except for the 22 cal models.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    good, get the hell out CA and never look back. Id call the sherrifs office of the county/perrish your moving to and ask him about that. He'd know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links