P238 or 642? Size and firepower? - Page 2

P238 or 642? Size and firepower?

This is a discussion on P238 or 642? Size and firepower? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd go for the S&W. Squeeze the trigger and it will fire. No safeties to forget just like your 228 which IMO is one of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I'd go for the S&W. Squeeze the trigger and it will fire. No safeties to forget just like your 228 which IMO is one of the best 9mm's ever made. Let Sig work out all the kinks on the 238 if you decide to buy one

The KISS principle applies to your situation. I personally believe if you are carrying a SA semi you should stick with that platform. I packed a Springer 1911 for 19 years. Was natural for me to click the safety off when drawing. Seen NUMEROUS folks who would forget to take that safety off when switching over to a SA 1911. Also saw the same folks have premature shots go off due to the lighter trigger. Takes alot of practice to safely and effeciently operate a SA. If you are willing to pay the big bucks for .380 ammo and practice, practice and put in some more practice then go for it.

JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I'd go for the S&W. Squeeze the trigger and it will fire. No safeties to forget just like your 228 which IMO is one of the best 9mm's ever made. Let Sig work out all the kinks on the 238 if you decide to buy one

The KISS principle applies to your situation. I personally believe if you are carrying a SA semi you should stick with that platform. I packed a Springer 1911 for 19 years. Was natural for me to click the safety off when drawing. Seen NUMEROUS folks who would forget to take that safety off when switching over to a SA 1911. Also saw the same folks have premature shots go off due to the lighter trigger. Takes alot of practice to safely and effeciently operate a SA. If you are willing to pay the big bucks for .380 ammo and practice, practice and put in some more practice then go for it.

JMO
    This is pretty much my lines of thinking. I know how to draw and place shots on target without a safety in the mix. So, I will keep it consistent and probably opt out of the P238 as a carry gun.

I ran a couple boxes of ammo at the range working with a rented 442 and managed decent (5" or less) rapid fire groups at 15 and 21 feet. Towards the end my groups tightened up quite a bit to less than 4". I also was pleased that I could easily conceal it IWB and tucked in my dress clothes.

My last trial before I decide will be trying to conceal a Glock 26 IWB and tucked. I don't think I can, due to the thickness of the gun throughout versus just the cylinder being thick on the 642. If I can, the Glock will be purchased because of the capacity and same caliber of ammo I current have stocked up. If not, I will happily purchase the 642, a couple boxes of Critical Defense, and couple 100 rounds for the range.
    Last edited by superthumbs; September 21st, 2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    this might help some. Go to the comparison chart.
    Mouseguns.Com New Index

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superthumbs View Post
    This is pretty much my lines of thinking. I know how to draw and place shots on target without a safety in the mix. So, I will keep it consistent and probably opt out of the P238 as a carry gun.

I ran a couple boxes of ammo at the range working with a rented 442 and managed decent (5" or less) rapid fire groups at 15 and 21 feet. Towards the end my groups tightened up quite a bit to less than 4". I also was pleased that I could easily conceal it IWB and tucked in my dress clothes.

My last trial before I decide will be trying to conceal a Glock 26 IWB and tucked. I don't think I can, due to the thickness of the gun throughout versus just the cylinder being thick on the 642. If I can, the Glock will be purchased because of the capacity and same caliber of ammo I current have stocked up. If not, I will happily purchase the 642, a couple boxes of Critical Defense, and couple 100 rounds for the range.
    Excellent decision IMO. Hard to beat a S&W snub for SD. Good groups too. I practice at 25 yards with my ancient 36 and can keep the shots CM if I take my time DA.

Why don't you carry your 228? When I carried mine it was a breeze to CC with a HBE COM III IWB. As you know it's a very acurate and HIGHLY reliable pistol. Mine is now my wifes weapon and she shoots it very well.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've got the S&W 642 for pocket carry and sometimes ankle. Depending on what I'm wearing - sometimes the 642 is my only carry - other times my S&W CS45 is my primary - even in the pocket sometimes - but mostly in belt holster.

Let us know what you end up with.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    I guess the only thing that hasn't been said is... "with which one can you consistently hit COM?"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Excellent decision IMO. Hard to beat a S&W snub for SD. Good groups too. I practice at 25 yards with my ancient 36 and can keep the shots CM if I take my time DA.

Why don't you carry your 228? When I carried mine it was a breeze to CC with a HBE COM III IWB. As you know it's a very acurate and HIGHLY reliable pistol. Mine is now my wifes weapon and she shoots it very well.
    I figure the groups will tighten up with practice and refining my technique with the snubbie (my 228 groupings always make me smile). I do carry my 228 and absolutely love it. However, when I am required to wear slacks and a tucked in shirt, I can't pull it off. Also, as a photographer, I am often required to move around a lot. Up and down and laying in awkward positions, hunched over, etc.... I find that my shirt will get pinned up on the Sig fairly easily. I think having such a compact firearm during those times will let me carry-on comfortably and naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I guess the only thing that hasn't been said is... "with which one can you consistently hit COM?"
    So, get all of them? That would be great!

J-Frame DAO in my pocket, never a single action

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links