Defensive Carry banner

Colt Defender

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
I am looking into aquiring one of these, but upon research I found an odd assumtion. Lightweight frame. Numerous blogs have suggested to limit the amount of rounds put through this model due to wear on the lightweight frame over a short period of time. How true is this? I dont want to buy something I cant shoot!

As allways, thanks for your help. :bier:

#2 ·
Unless you're shooting like 10,000 rds a year I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen guns with alloy frames fire 30,000+ rds without a problem. Frame cracking in 1911's is somewhat of a problem from what I've heard, but that's with all 1911's not just the alloy framed ones.
I currently own a S&W 3913 with about 3,000 rds through it, no problems. Yes, it has a alloy frame.

#3 ·
You may find a more frequent maint. schedule a good idea with the Defender. The springs should be changed more often than with a 5" 1911.
I suggest standard (Non +P) ammunition.
It couldn't hurt to install some Tripp Upgrade kits in the magazines.
The Defender is a viable CCW weapon and I miss mine greatly. My son will be gifted one this Christmas.
On another note, I put many rounds thru my Lightweight Commander with no ill effects. Its probably about 40 years old.

#4 ·
Forged 1911 frames are not known for cracking. Some investment cast 1911 Clone frames sure have cracked.

Historically some Steel 1911 frames have experienced one vertical hairline crack above the slide stop cut-out.
That is a completely harmless hairline that does not affect the structural integrity or the strength of the pistol at all.
(see PIC below)

In fact that area was sometimes milled out as a premptive measure in order to prevent that from happening.
(see PIC below)

Still that vertical hairline crack is rare enough that I have never seen one.

The Colt alloy frames are extremely tough and they are CNC machined from a billet of aircraft grade Aluminum alloy.

You do not need to be afraid to shoot the heck out of it.

Reactions: Arejay
#5 ·
I've never heard of a problem with the frame being vulnerable on a Defender. The two things I found in the research I did before I bought mine were:

1. They stovepipe easily if you don't have a firm grip (i.e. "limp wristing").

2. The extractor is set so that it will whack you in the forehead with empty shells.

I have found both to be true with mine.

#9 ·
IMHO, it is finest out of the box CCW 1911 ever produced.
I have one and it has never failed me in anyway. I just love it.
I do not have the extraction problem some have mentioned. Mine extracts the empty shell casing out without stricking me.
I have a $3000 WilsonCombat, but carry the Colt Defender because it is more reliable. Go figure.:confused:

#10 ·
Have to say if I paid 3K for a Wilson that 1911 had better run:mad:. My old trusty SA Standard has been 100% reliable since 1990 and I paid a whopping $375.00 for it. It ain't pretty, doesn't have the bells and whistles but it eats everything I've ever fed it including LSWC's.

Of ALL the chopped 1911's out there the two semis I would remotely consider for SD is the Colt Defender and the Commander. It and 2 Colt Commanders have been the only chopped1911's I have ever seen function as advertised. I personally won't carry any 1911 unless it has the original 5" barrel.

JMO

#11 ·
The forged verses cast frame issue is like arguing which "coin operated pay-phone" is best. Technology has made it a non-issue. Quality cast frames are every bit as durable (sometime more durable) than forged. When's the last time you heard of a Ruger or FN Hi-Power (cast) frame cracking? It simply does NOT happen with any regularity. As for alloy vs. steel frames. Yes, it theory, the steel is tougher. But along the same lines, I would pick a quality alloy frame over a lesser steel frame EVERYTIME! A large, complete diet of +P+ .45 ACP will be hard on a Defender. But with standard pressure ammo, you'd be hard pressed to wear it out. If you do, buy a replacement Caspian (alloy) frame & try to wear IT out. With that much practice, you're gonna' be a whale of a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.