Is This Forum Too Picky???

This is a discussion on Is This Forum Too Picky??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at a conceal gun for a few months now. I missed an opportunity to get my bro's G26 I'm a member ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This Forum Too Picky???

I have been looking at a conceal gun for a few months now. I missed an opportunity to get my bro's G26

I'm a member on another forum strictly dedicated to photography (FM). You get a lot of "Canon vs. Nikon vs. Minolta, etc... Which lens should I get, etc...

Is this forum much different? I don't mean that in a negative way, but more in a "I'm more picky, because I know my guns" sort of way. I was thinking of getting the Ruger LCP .380. Due to being smaller than the G26, it's much easier to conceal (plus...my wife may want one as well) in what I normally wear. But, there are negative feelings out there towards a .380 vs.

Some folks say they have issues with many brands of guns. Is this due to the nature of the forum...or are most brands and most guns, expected to fail at some point early on?

I hope this makes sense...

VIP Member
    Everyone has their favorites and everyone that has been around guns for a long time has had a bad experience with some brand or another. It's just like the Chevy vs Ford argument. They are both fine, but everyone has an opinion.

Don't let it get you down. Go with what feels good in your hand and is accurate and reliable for you at the range.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It seems that we all tend to develop our own favorites. That said, your favorite is what you should carry,period.
    I see many people who swear by their Glocks, I swear at them.
    Choose and carry what you like. If you feel comfortable shooting a particular gun and it conceals well for you, you will be more likely to carry it always.
    Don't choose a gun because somebody else carries it, someone else's favorite may be all wrong for you.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Let your wife rack the slide, some have aproblem with it. I am very happy with my LCP but my wife wouldn't give two cents for it. To each his (or her) own. At any rate, welcome!

Sponsor
    There seems to be a well rounded membership here. As it has already been said, we all have our favorites.
    I'm a 1911 and S&W lover.
    Others extol the virtues of Glock or HK etc...

As far as the LCP (I have the Keltech P3AT and P32) My only advice would be to go with something a little more friendly for your EDC. Forget about the caliber. Look at the sight radius and the looooong trigger. Not to mention that after 100 rnds you will want to put it in a drawer for a week or two until the webbing between your thumb and index finger recovers.

I am not knocking them, they are great concealable point & shoot pistols and I go to the P3AT for a BUG or when I'm out for a run. They are surprisingly accurate for the design, just not a"fun" shoot.

Oh Yeah, Go .45 or go home!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I prefer metal over plastic pistol. And love my Beretta 92FS Inox. I haven't seen too many post about Beretta pistols so I guess I'm in the minority group, but like others say, go with what YOU like.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    "I'm more picky, because I know my guns" sort of way.
    I'm sure that's mostly it. Folks who care often care enough to dive into the details. And you ain't gonna learn about the details unless you exchange info with others. A forum is a good place to do that.

And since writing can be easily misinterpreted, it can take a fairly exacting sequence of questions and answers in order to get the actual question answered fully. Hence, the detail and apparent tendency toward the "picky" end of the spectrum.

I was thinking of getting the Ruger LCP .380. Due to being smaller than the G26, it's much easier to conceal (plus...my wife may want one as well) in what I normally wear. But, there are negative feelings out there towards a .380 vs.
    There's some outright, sickening hostility. But then, those with such sickness thankfully keep to the background, mostly. That kind doesn't last long, thankfully, as they're found out and then rooted out soon enough.

The opinions and proselytizing by some about various specific brands, models, calibers or other choices, are a good thing. Folks develop their distinct favorites ... either in terms of gear, or edicts from "higher" authorities. Call it "spin" or whatever. Either way, it's out there and is part of the joy of sifting through the "rough" to get to the "diamonds."

Me, I try to explain my rationale for or against something. However, you, as the reader, need to remember that it's based on a very specific set of criteria and experience: me, and mine. I have no idea whether you'll get what I'm talking about, or care one way or the other. You, you'll do what you like with that opinion and the info. Best of both worlds, really, since (a) we'll learn a bit more and (b) in the end be free to make a more-informed decision. Sounds like win-win to me.

So long as that's done without feeling like we both got screwed, blued and tattooed, then I'd say it's a good thing. I mean, nobody comes here to be bullied, harassed or otherwise flamed into submission. (And there are very few who poke fingers in the chests of others. That sort simply casts big shadows. Ignore them, as they're fairly rare.)

... are most brands and most guns, expected to fail at some point early on?
    Guns are human-made mechanical devices. Ain't never been one made, yet, that's flawless and error-free. Examples exist all the way from error-free to jam-o-matic, and everything in between, with an average tendency across a specific design, though that changes over time as the tooling and staffing changes at the manufacturer, and all of that can change a bit via selections in ammo and cleaning regimen by the user.

Reputations develop over time, and some guns have a clear reputation for one thing or another. Accept what that means, in terms of specific reliability likely in a specific gun. It is a bit of a spin of the roulette wheel, in terms of probabilities. Can't get away from that.

By the way, on the question of a .380ACP, opinions seem to range from:
    • Don't do it, as they're a death trap ... everybody who's anybody says so; to
    • I've got one and love it ... so will you.

I've got a couple of .380's (including a NAA Guardian 380). They serve a certain need and have a certain mix of criteria. I also carry a CZ P-01 9mm, which is used for other reasons. Both niches are served well by the choices. In the end, my criteria are what I need to fulfill. I will do so based on what I understand to be important to me, what I find to work well, and what I've read and been trained by others who are more-knowledgeable and wiser than I. In the end, it works for me. YMMV, and likely will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm sure that's mostly it. Folks who care often care enough to dive into the details. And you ain't gonna learn about the details unless you exchange info with others. A forum is a good place to do that.

And since writing can be easily misinterpreted, it can take a fairly exacting sequence of questions and answers in order to get the actual question answered fully. Hence, the detail and apparent tendency toward the "picky" end of the spectrum.

There's some outright, sickening hostility. But then, those with such sickness thankfully keep to the background, mostly. That kind doesn't last long, thankfully, as they're found out and then rooted out soon enough.

The opinions and proselytizing by some about various specific brands, models, calibers or other choices, are a good thing. Folks develop their distinct favorites ... either in terms of gear, or edicts from "higher" authorities. Call it "spin" or whatever. Either way, it's out there and is part of the joy of sifting through the "rough" to get to the "diamonds."

Me, I try to explain my rationale for or against something. However, you, as the reader, need to remember that it's based on a very specific set of criteria and experience: me, and mine. I have no idea whether you'll get what I'm talking about, or care one way or the other. You, you'll do what you like with that opinion and the info. Best of both worlds, really, since (a) we'll learn a bit more and (b) in the end be free to make a more-informed decision. Sounds like win-win to me.

So long as that's done without feeling like we both got screwed, blued and tattooed, then I'd say it's a good thing. I mean, nobody comes here to be bullied, harassed or otherwise flamed into submission. (And there are very few who poke fingers in the chests of others. That sort simply casts big shadows. Ignore them, as they're fairly rare.)

Guns are human-made mechanical devices. Ain't never been one made, yet, that's flawless and error-free. Examples exist all the way from error-free to jam-o-matic, and everything in between, with an average tendency across a specific design, though that changes over time as the tooling and staffing changes at the manufacturer, and all of that can change a bit via selections in ammo and cleaning regimen by the user.

Reputations develop over time, and some guns have a clear reputation for one thing or another. Accept what that means, in terms of specific reliability likely in a specific gun. It is a bit of a spin of the roulette wheel, in terms of probabilities. Can't get away from that.
    Well stated.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

OK! A post I can answer with some authority! I too am into photography (keep a couple of kids in college with them black boxes). I used to check a couple of photo forums daily but finally stopped when I got sick of what you are mentioning. I'm a Nikon guy with way too much invested in glass and flash to switch now. I still use D2x(s) even though they are considered antiquated by some who have never seen a D3 much less used one. With cameras it's Canon vs Nikon or Fuji. Rarely will you see someone using/owning both Canon and Nikon because of the associated cost and it's darn hard to go back and forth between brands during the heat of a shoot. Heck, it's hard enough with 2 identical bodies with different glass!. With handguns there is no such associated costs and cumberances. Many here have several pistols and revolvers from different manufacturers. Some try to stay with a particular caliber for obvious reasons. I like having an array of stuff! So make yourself at home.

Also, the LCP is a perfect little pistol to carry in your camera bag. I usually have 10 grand in equipment (at least) with me for a wedding and don't plan on just handing it over in the parking lot when I leave after a long day just because some guy needs some dope!
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

I like the P7 pistol but I dont necessarily like H&K pistols in general. I like my Smith Model 60 and 15 but my opinion on S&W is for another time and place. I like the Browning Hi Power but generally do not like 1911s. I like the 9mm cartridge and can take or leave the 45. I always leave the 40 but I respect it as a respectable stopper. I dont like 380 pocket pistols but I understand why they exist and why someone (or everyone) like them.

I do get picky with details because a detail not mentioned is a detail not taken into consideration. This is the forum I go to when I am not so much concerned with details and pickyness because this is the forum purely for concealed carry and the pracitcality, lethality, and theory of just that. I am a member of another forum where I know I have a few enemies but I do believe I am at least respected there.

Everyone has their personal favorites on guns, holsters, methods of carry, etc...

I've even been criticized on here for carrying a 10-inch Ruger Super Redhawk in a SmartCarry, but I didn't let it bother me...

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Hey buddy,

I was/am on FM and DWF. Same username. Website's in my Contact info in my Profile. PM me if you need anything!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

+1 CCW. Nothing mechanical is perfect and no mass produced item will fit every person and/or every scenario. The best you can hope for is to gleam as much info as possible that relates to your situation - it's up to you to separate the chaff.

I've been trying to shoot mouseguns whenever the opportunity comes up b/c I work at a shooting range where people can take classes for free and b/c new shooters look to the employees for advice - we don't sell anything.

What I've found is they are accurate, if you do your part; but they are definitely harder to shoot well due to the shorter sight radius, smaller grip area, and lack of weight. People assume a smaller cartridge will be more comfortable to shoot. It just isn't so b/c of the packaging they usually come in. The end result is an arm that is hard to shoot well when, due to the size of the cartridge/bullet, being able to shoot well under stress is of paramount importance. Not a good combo, especially for a newby, when it's needed the most.

Here's my recent experience with one. I admit I wasn't paying enough attention to my grip. I picked up a .32, brand doesn't matter and it could've been a .380 as well, and started shooting. On the third shot the slide opened up my thumb and I got 3 stitches. Yeah, I a dummy, but still.

My initial thoughts were if I needed the gun in a hurry I doubt I would worry that much about my grip. I probably wouldn't get a good grip on it the way most carry one - in a pocket as opposed to a holster - which means accuracy is compromised, which is unacceptable. I've decided to pass on mouseguns.

The "to" you want has two (2) o's. Sorry just being too picky, couldn't resist...

The point of these forum is to seek and share advice with others. People that don't care or don't feel strongly enough to post, don't post, so you only read the strongest opinions.... or you get the guys that just like to read what they type, so they are contriversial just to get more attention.

I own a 1911 and a Browning Hi-Power. I carry a glock 19. I love it. just about everyone at the range loves glocks. My dad cant stand them. He has shot mine and frankly....shoots it better then me but he still hates them. My wife carries a LCP and loves it. I love the LCP. A lot of the poeple at the range hate them. Bottom line, everyone likes something different but what it comes down to is what YOU are comfortable with and shoot well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links