What does PF9 mean?

What does PF9 mean?

This is a discussion on What does PF9 mean? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here know what the model number on a KelTec PF9 stands for ? I know the 9 is for 9MM but what about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does PF9 mean?

What does PF9 mean?

Does anyone here know what the model number
    on a KelTec PF9 stands for ?
    I know the 9 is for 9MM but what about the (PF )?
    I like this little gun a lot and it get a lot of carry time
    and today it just hit me I don't know what it means.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    Does anyone here know what the model number
    on a KelTec PF9 stands for
    Pistol Flat

Edit: (don't know for sure, but)
    Source = Combat Handgun, November 2009, Page 21, Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm, Author: Michael O. Humphries
    Last edited by psehorne; September 17th, 2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added source of my information

I had always assumed the KelTec PF9 was: (P)olymer, (F)lat, (9)mm.

And that the Kahr PM9 was: (P)olymer, (M)icro, (9)mm.

Don't know for certain.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll be watching this with great interests...This may solve the PF Changs mystery as well.

PHB
    I have been told that it stands for
    Polymer Frame
    Do not know this for a fact but makes sense
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

The PF9 '9' is 9 rounds (8+1)

Just like the P11 is (10+1) but of course it is now 12+1 so it should be called a P13.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The PF9 '9' is 9 rounds (8+1)
    7+1 = 8
    I'm holding one as I type this.

Distinguished Member
    (9) is for 9mm
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Maybe it means absolutely nothing... ???

Pretty freaking awesome
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    I have been told that it stands for Polymer Frame
    Probably more likely than "Polymer/Flat."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Recoil

I was just reading about this gun today. A review I read stated that it beat the crap out of the author's hand and left his trigger finger sore from the trigger recoil.

Another mentioned that the factory said that the gun had a limited ability to stand up to +P loads.

Up until that point I'd been liking what I was reading about the gun for size and price and that it was American made.

What has been the experience of you guys that are actually using / practicing with this gun on a regular basis?

I'm by no means knocking the pistol. I'm looking to find out what consistent users of it think. Thanks.

Cliff

PS: Sources

Mousegunner's Review of the Kel-Tec PF-9 Pistol
    "Kel-Tec says that a limited amount of Plus P rated ammunition can be used in the PF-9, so it is recommended that shooters do most of their practice with standard pressure ammo, and save the hot stuff for more serious use, firing enough of it through their pistols to assure compatibility with that particular gun. The slide of the PF-9 uses a bushingless design, the same as with Kel-Tec's other pistols. "

Kel-tec PF-9 handgun review | Gibberish Is My Native Language
    "Recoil and report are both extreme. The Kel-tec is louder than my G27, which isnít known for being a mouse. After my first round of shooting, I remarked that the PF-9 may be the only handgun thatís more uncomfortable to shoot than the Guardian. Trigger slap (rebound) is painful. My trigger finger hurt for two days after shooting the Kel-tec for the first time. Iíve named my PF-9 Ike in honor of such a vicious trigger slap. The last time I took it to the range, I got a blister on my palm from the PF-9ís jagged grip pattern. I am able to successfully double-tap my target at seven yards, but shooting my G27 is a dream in comparison."

ctm
    From the KTOG (Kel-Tec owners group) website...

The Pistol Flat 9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9 mm Luger cartridge. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made.

I know this used to be on the Kel-Tec-CNC website, but I couldn't find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    I was just reading about this gun today. A review I read stated that it beat the crap out of the author's hand and left his trigger finger sore from the trigger recoil.
    Kel-Tec pistols aren't plinkers. Due to their small size and light weight, recoil is a bit unpleasant. Both of mine (P-11 and P3AT) benefited enormously from judicious application of sandpaper to smooth out and reshape certain areas of the grips and triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post

Another mentioned that the factory said that the gun had a limited ability to stand up to +P loads.
    I bought my PF-9 just a few weeks ago. My only handgun in 20 years (in the '80s I had a Ruger Single Six 22). With virtually no previous experience I shot 100 round through it my first day at a range (two hours of one-on-one instruction. I felt nothing in the web of my hand, trigger finger.... I did feel a minor discomfort in my right shoulder (right handed shooting).

I can't compare recoil or noise to any other guns, even though I have since bought an XDm and a LCP (for my wife). I really have not noticed very much difference in recoil between the three. But, I'm new to this and probably am not very sensitive to the subtleties.

But the bottom line is that after 100 rounds on my first range excursion I felt no discomfort in my hand and only a little in my shoulder. But then, of course, I was just learning how to hold the gun, etc. Since then my trips to the range (with the PF9) have been less than 50 rounds in any one visit. I haven't shot 100 rounds in one trip since that first day.
    Last edited by psehorne; September 17th, 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links