J Frame compared to Glock 26 IWB

This is a discussion on J Frame compared to Glock 26 IWB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is their going to be much difference in carrying a S&W J Frame IWB compared to a Glock 26 as far as printing goes? Will ...

Thread: J Frame compared to Glock 26 IWB

Is their going to be much difference in carrying a S&W J Frame IWB compared to a Glock 26 as far as printing goes?

Will the J Frame be much easier to conceal?

Both are easy to hide IWB with the right holster but the J-frame simply disappears.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Depends on the grip you have on the J frame to some extent. If it is boot grip or, say, CT405's - it may print less. If you have Houge's or perhaps CT305's the nod may go to the Glock.

The Glock is a little flatter than the J frame.

I say pick your holster and the cant angle wisely and either can be made to work equally well.

I'm a J frame guy and I don't particularly like the way the "square" grips on autos print. But if you cant the gun properly you can overcome it somewhat.

If you may occasionally go to pocket carry the J is the way to go.

Hard to pass up all that fire power though. Definately a consideration when choosing between revolver and auto.

Well to answer your question: Yes! The j-frame is simply smaller and much more easily concealable. That said, a gun as small as a G-26 can be carried IWB just fine.

Here's a return question to you: "What would you rather face a bad guy with? A S&W 340 or a Glock 26?

Heck, I have a S&W 340sc and it has its time and place. But, I'd rather have one of my more powerful pieces instead.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Guys, guys guys, why choose?
    Bet the Glock and carry the way you normally carry, get the J-frame and a pocket holster for a BUG
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

The J is easier to hide...but harder to fight with. Let me preface this with the fact that I carry one as a backup. But....

1. It is a 1lb gun with a 12 lb trigger.Most people cannot shoot them well past 5 yards.
    2.It only holds 5 shots. If you have 2 or more opponents...good luck.
    3. They are slow to reload compared to any auto pistol.
    4. They only hold 5 shots.
    5. They have a tiny sight radius and often nubby little sights that you can't see well under stress anyway.Most people cannot shoot them well past 5 yards.
    6. the 2" barrel is a tiny little runway and HP ammo that opens up out of a 4"gun may or may not out of a 2".
    7. the most effective ammo kicks HARD in those 10oz guns.
    8. It only holds 5 shots
    9.if the grips are small enough to conceal they are too small to shoot FAST and ACCURATELY under stress.
    10. They only hold 5 shots.

If I am going to carry a J frame as a primary I'm going to carry TWO. But as it is I prefer a full size pistol(Glock 17 or 34) and the J as a worst case scenario insurance policy.

If it were me, I'd roll with the 26 and pocket the J as a backup and shoot it a lot so I know its limitations.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

I've carried both IWB. My preference goes to the 26.

aag
    I carry both IWB, and while J-frame is a bit smaller, there's not THAT much difference. However, I pocket carry quite a bit, and that's where J-frame shines.

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    Heck, I have a S&W 340sc and it has its time and place. But, I'd rather have one of my more powerful pieces instead.
    ???
    More powerful than the 340 or more capacity?
    What load do you use in the 340?

More powerful in terms of ammo. Typical load in my 340 is .38 special in either 158 gr. SWC or Speer GD 135gr +P. I don't like to fire a .357 magnum load in that tiny thing.

My typical 9mm carry load is Winchester SXT 127gr +P.

Now, talking capacity . . . would you rather rely on a J-frame with only 5 rounds or a Glock 26 with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds?

Don't get me wrong. I love my J-frame and throw it in my pocket all the time. But, I only do that when I am unable to carry something else. And, I doubt I would ever go to one of those little .380 guns. I know, I know, there are those on this forum who swear by them. I'm simply not one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    More powerful in terms of ammo. Typical load in my 340 is .38 special in either 158 gr. SWC or Speer GD 135gr +P. I don't like to fire a .357 magnum load in that tiny thing.
    Okay, I understand now. I carried a 340 M&P for about a year. I carried and shot it with .357. I didn't enjoy shooting it either. Sold it and bought a Ruger SP-101.

Cruel Hand said it best. The J-frame is a niche gun with limitations. For a BUG or extreme hot-weather pocket carry it's hard to beat. The snubby requires a good amount of practice to master, and to me, who started an LEO job in the pre-auto days(at least on the east coast!)you worked with what you had..and everyone had a J-Frame(with a couple ol' Det.Specials thrown in for good measure)so that's what you carried and practiced with. Today with compact hi-cap autos the 5-shot becomes the insurance policy(i.e., the BUG)and there's nothing wrong with that. Just my rambling $.02!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

jon
    I have a S&W 360 revolver and a similar sized M&P9c.
    The M&P conceals better, but I think it is because of the Crossbreed it rides in.
    The Hogue grips on the little revolver absorb .357 loads quite well but are fat and round.

Both will conceal equally well in comparable IWB holsters. I have both guns with IWB holsters but I carry the Glock exclusively now. I went with the Glock because mine has night sights and it carries twice as many rounds. In addition I carry a spare mag. More rounds combined with much faster reloading were the deciding factors.
    Question Everything!

To carry either IWB, about the same (I have both).
    Pocket carry, the G-26 is a little thicker. IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links