Got my new gun

Got my new gun

This is a discussion on Got my new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I went to my gunshop of choice, Buckeye Outdoors. I had a Bersa Thunder .380 on lay-a-way there, and was ready to get it, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my new gun

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Got my new gun

Today I went to my gunshop of choice, Buckeye Outdoors. I had a Bersa Thunder .380 on lay-a-way there, and was ready to get it, but thought I would look at the selection of guns that I could afford, which for me, was under $250, not a huge budget I know. I was not totally set on the Bersa, due to the known spring issue plus I know how hard it is to get .380 ammo (They just got a supply in today). I looked at the Cobra's, but was told on another board to avoid unless it was a .45, which they did not have, then I looked at the Kel-Tec .380 and .32acp (also their 9, but it was out of my price range), and I also looked at some .25's. I know most would say never get anything below a .380, and 9mm is even better, but I had to stay with what was in my budget, plus what felt good in my hand. I did not like the feel of the Kel-Tecs, yes, they were small, and I have small hands for a guy, but they just did not feel very good to me, and I did not think shooting it would be very fun.

So, I ended up with a Taurus PT .25. Yes, its small, its a mouse gun, not alot of stopping power, but it serves a couple purposes. I can carry it in my pocket and forget about it (with the proper holster) which means I am more opt to carrying it and that was the biggest thing, plus, the ammo was not to expensive, just a bit less than what I could find of .380, like $15 a box compared to $20 for the .380, so I will shoot more. The gun feels great in my hands, I fired half a box, would have done more but had time restraints and it seemed to shoot ok. Its not as dead on as a fullsize weapon, but the distance that most gun fights happen, it will suffice.

This is not my last gun. I plan on, in about 5 months, getting either a .357mag or a Glock .19 or some sort of 1911, just not sure yet.

Just thought I would share, and hope I dont get flamed to much for getting what I go.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Congrats! The best pistol in the world is the one you can personally get to fast when you really need it. Sooo, your new pistola is really and truly one of the best handguns in the world! And I'm not kidding.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

There are plenty of used 9mm handguns that can be had for $250. If your purchase was for self defense that's where you should have looked. I certainly won't flame you but the 25 acp is measurably less effective than .22 long which is to say it is woefully inadequate. Get yourself a used snubby revolver or a 9mm semi auto asap. As low quality as High Points are they sell for under $250 and would be light years better than what you bought, assuming your purpose was self defense.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Hate to say it man but you should have waited and picked up a police trade Glock 22 or 23. They were tagging them at Vance's when I went to visit my father last weekend and for $369 you would have had a .40 with nightsights and they were really clean.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Hate to say it man but you should have waited and picked up a police trade Glock 22 or 23. They were tagging them at Vance's when I went to visit my father last weekend and for $369 you would have had a .40 with nightsights and they were really clean.
    They had a few at Buckeye, BUT my budget was no more than 250. I could have gotten a Hi Point, had one, and it was ok, but I wanted something not only that I could carry comfortably, but also something that I could have next to the bed.

I know the choice of caliber is not the top choice, but near bottom, but I had to get what I could afford at the time. Better things will come, but I have to wait for a couple months, and I am ok with that. As little as I leave my home, I feel my odds of needing my weapon are slim and none, and if I need it, they will be in range to get decent shots off, either head or chest.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I might get flamed here also, but a 25cal is nothing to sneeze at, as long as its reliable. I will say for $250 and a little more shopping, you might have found something used with a little more power. I 'd look for some JHP's that feed well in it, and start saving my tuppin's for something bigger when you can.
    Be safe.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Congrats! The best pistol in the world is the one you can personally get to fast when you really need it. Sooo, your new pistola is really and truly one of the best handguns in the world! And I'm not kidding.
    Well said
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Congrats

Now keep it with you.
    The odds of you needing it are slim, and the chance of you running into the type that won't stop after being shot are even slimmer.
    You just increased your odds I promise.
    Now start saving for the next one, after you pick up a few hundred rounds that is.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Some may criticize your decision on caliber, but I haven't met a person that would like to get shot with it. I believe that you work with what you have and just make sure of shot placement. Also this should hold you over until you get your next gun.

I agree with all the above post.

I will be the first to admit, it is not the best caliber for SD, its close to the bottom, but as it was said "a gun carried is better than the one left at home", or in my case, better than the one in the store. I have it, I can carry it, so its better than nothing. Better things will come, its just a matter of time. Kids need to eat before I needed a bigger gun, and I had a budget, and the budget was not forgiving. Soon we will start our regular overtime at work, that will get the bank account growing for the next one.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

justherenow you certainly won't get flamed by me,you did the best you could with what you had and you did fine. There are better self defense calibers we all know this,however that being said all handguns are under powered and they are all a comprise in portability.

Any gun beats no gun and a .25acp in the hand is better than saying "please don't kill me". Trust me when I type this,a .25acp is more than lethal enough in the right hands. Besides if the person is within the typical SD range aim for their face and chest,I know it may seem morbid to state this but these are also know as "face guns" for a reason. I wouldn't go the JHP route with the .25acp I'd get yourself some hot FMJ ammo like fiochi or the like and practice. The full metal jacket ammo with ensure the bullets penetrate if needed. I used to have and loved a Beretta .25acp a model 950,I wish I still had it it was a great little gun and was my carry gun for a looong time. Congrats on your new gun and your decision to take responsibility for you own/family's safety and enjoy your new gun.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Wink Ummmm yup

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Gotta agree with this sentiment. Remember a lot can be done with the right ammo. So were I the OP, I'd be researching which brand mushrooms most reliably from the barrel length of his weapon and PUH-LEASE don't go to the BOX 'O TRUTH!

When I was in school at the University of Alabama in 1979, I picked up a used Star 9mm for $150. Great little single stack semi with an 8rd capacity. My point being that with a little bit of shopping you can actually still find a 9mm deal like that. But as has been mentioned here, the best gun is the one you have with you when trouble hits.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Some may criticize your decision on caliber, but I haven't met a person that would like to get shot with it. I believe that you work with what you have and just make sure of shot placement. Also this should hold you over until you get your next gun.
    I wouldn't want to get shot with a BB pistol, but that doesn't make it a reliable man-stopper that I want to bet my life on in a critical situation.

A lot of attacks are carried out by drug addicts looking for money or valuables. They're very likely not going to be too concerned about an underpowered pistol when they're high on meth or crack, if they're even aware that you have one.

Somebody on meth or crack probably won't even feel it if they get shot, and a .25 sure isn't going to reliably stop a determined aggressor, regardless of his physical size.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Wink Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Somebody on meth or crack probably won't even feel it if they get shot, and a .25 sure isn't going to reliably stop a determined aggressor, regardless of his physical size.
    That's why the "Failure to STOP" drill was created. Like the old saying goes:

"Two to the chest and one to the head. We'd like 'em ALIVE ... But we'll take 'em DEAD."

If your first two shots COM don't stop the threat, push that muzzle against his eyeball and squeeze twice more. I promise you a determined attacker, regardless of size or DOSAGE ... will stop.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Gotta agree with this sentiment. Remember a lot can be done with the right ammo.
    Yeah, a lot can be done with the right .25 ammo, like:

1. Getting yourself beaten, robbed and murdered.
    2. Getting your loved ones beaten, robbed, raped and murdered.

Take a survey of internationally and nationally renown handgun self-defense experts like Massad Ayoob etc., and let me know how many recommend the .25 as a reliable self-defense cartridge. It won't be many, if any.

As for the rationalization that it's "better than nothing", you can say that about virtually anything. An ink pen is better than nothing, but simply being better than nothing doesn't make it a good choice for a critical self-defense situation.

I'm not willing to gamble the safety of my loved ones and myself on a proven woefully inadequate caliber. I want a cartridge that will give me a GOOD chance of survival, not a "wing and a prayer" like the .25.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links