S&W M&P Pistol Trigger Safety Question

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Pistol Trigger Safety Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Out of curiosity - can a M&P pistol owner out there explain how the hinged trigger safety is supposed to work on this pistol? It ...

Thread: S&W M&P Pistol Trigger Safety Question

S&W M&P Pistol Trigger Safety Question

Out of curiosity - can a M&P pistol owner out there explain how the hinged trigger safety is supposed to work on this pistol? It would seem to me that anything that catches the edge of the trigger will pull the trigger and cause the pistol to fire?

With the XD and Glock's "trigger within a trigger" safety, something would have to get all the way into the trigger guard to disengage the safety and pull the trigger. Catching the edge alone won't do it.

I just don't understand the M&P's trigger design??
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

works just like the glock you have to trip the safety to allow trigger to be pulled to rear,I personally have never heard of any AD's due to something catching the trigger on the M&P pistol,but I have heard of some glocks firing due to something catching in the trigger guard and then gun being inserted into a holster
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The trigger is hinged in the middle and unless the bottom pulls back about 1/4" the trigger won't move. So a piece of tread or small rope won't move the end of the trigger but sit in the middle of the trigger and not move the bottom half of the trigger.

I have tested it out with an empty gun (of course) so it works very well IMHO. Only a finger size device should pull the tigger

My 40c is my primary carry 90% of the time.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

MN hit it right on the head. Pretty much with any gun though, cover the trigger and trigger guard area with a holster and you'll be just fine.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I think the safety on my M&P is more designed for keeping Smith and Wesson's investor's safe.

So, anything that catches the edge of the bottom portion of the trigger can cause the pistol to fire!?

I still don't see how this is safe. The Glock trigger (and its clones) seems better designed - trigger can't get pulled by something that just catches the edge.

I will say that it's better than the Kahr trigger - no safety at all.

Of course, the best safety is between your ears...but I prefer the Glock/XD design. YMMV.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Just ask Plaxico Burress how safe the trigger is on a Glock. As his Glock slid from his sweat pant's waistband down his leg, he tried to stop its progression by trapping it with his hand. Just the trapping motion through the fabric was enough to cause an AD.

Does this mean that an M&P would not have had the same result. Who knows, but it does show that trigger safety mechanisms are not 100% safe. They are simply a deterrent to a majority of accidental discharges.

I do know that the Glock Kool-Aid drinkers would have had years of fun bashing M&P's if the Plaxico incident were an M&P.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Indeed. None of the trigger safeties will stop the gun from firing if you pull the trigger - on purpose or not. The question is which design will do a better job if the edge of the trigger catches on something.
    CT Lasers

Links