Anyone want to take a shot at this.

This is a discussion on Anyone want to take a shot at this. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CQBManny 1man, Everything I have read indicates that shot placement, not caliber, is everything in "effectiveness" [i.e., stopping power]. Unless immediately incapacitated, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone want to take a shot at this.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CQBManny
    1man,

Everything I have read indicates that shot placement, not caliber, is everything in "effectiveness" [i.e., stopping power]. Unless immediately incapacitated, a "mortally wounded" man with the will to survive can continue to fight for several seconds before expiring. Nonetheless, I think 9mm, .38 SPL, .357 MAG, .40 S&W, 10mm and .45ACP in that order and with quality ammunition should be first choice by anyone serious about self-defense carry.

However, if you have something less or cannot afford anything else the next best thing is to practice-practice-practice and become proficient with whatever you have. Lesser cartridges that I would consider in a pinch, least to most effective, would be .22 LR, .32ACP, .380ACP. If JHP was available in 9mm MAKAROV and 7.62X25 I'd throw those in, but I've only seen FMJ loads for those cartridges and I would never advise using FMJ for a defensive cartridge.

I'm reminded of a couple of old sayings here:

"The first rule of gunfighting: Have a gun!"
    "Beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

Stay Safe!

Manny
    .45 ACP FMJ is pretty good defensive ammo. It is not my first choice but I would feel confident enough that it would do the job. If you are using FMJ in anything else, I agree you might as well be shooting spitwads.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

I put more weight with penetration than expansion. All the expansion in the world, the classic 1.5-2x caliber will get you no where if your round does not make it to vital areas to inflict damage.

A .45 solid that hits the heart is better than a .45 that expands and stops short of the heart. IMO, if the bullet gets to the vitals, that is all I ask. Get to the vitals and expand when it gets there is just a bonus to speed up the incapacitation process.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links