Anyone want to take a shot at this.

This is a discussion on Anyone want to take a shot at this. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can any one make a list of all calibers you feel/deem effective for self defense(handguns only) in the order of least-to-most effective. Please include competition ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to take a shot at this.

Anyone want to take a shot at this.

Can any one make a list of all calibers you feel/deem effective for self defense(handguns only) in the order of least-to-most effective.
    Please include competition and "wildcat" cartridges as well.

The reason for this is to help me know where certain cartridges that I haven't had that much experience with fall in the SD spectrum and to help me place all my "doubtful" souvenir cartridges in the correct order.

Fire at will!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Talking

You want them listed in order of least effective up to most effective?

Why do I get that strange "gut feeling" that a Friendly Neighborhood Caliber Wars is impending?

Can any one make a list of all calibers you feel/deem effective for self defense(handguns only) in the order of least-to-most effective.
    9mm -> .50

All equal. It's about where you place them.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    sounds like too much work to me , the most effective round is the one i happen to be carrying with me NOW the one at home isnt near as good a stopper for an imediate confrentation

[QUOTE=QKShooter]You want them listed in order of least effective up to most effective?

Why do I get that strange "gut feeling" that a Friendly Neighborhood Caliber Wars is impending?[/QUOTE

Of course, Situation Awareness and Shot Placement is #1.

This for informational purposes more than bickering back and forth. I would like a "1-Shot 1-Kill" approach to this, no follow-up shots(hopefully this will keep a war from starting).
    But I'm looking where cartridges like 32NAA, 9x23mm IMI, 9x25mm and etc fall in.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if it helps here is evan marshals forum , he is " the king" of one shot stop data http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/ try there

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I am not sure how to order them as you ask, nor what "effective" means exactly. But very marginal might be 380/9m makarov. Marginal is 38 special and 9 mm, acceptables include 39+p, 9mm+p, acceptable plus includes 40, good includes 357, 44 special, 45 acp, and great/overkill includes 41 mag, 44 mag, 10mm, and really big stuff not suitable for any handgun you want me to practice with..
    the velocity and energy depends on barrel length, so I suppose a 38 special for example may be marginal in a snubbie and fine in a 6 inch revolver.
    personally I carry a 480 ruger converted to full auto fire with a belt fed mechanism...
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by 1man
    This for informational purposes more than bickering back and forth. I would like a "1-Shot 1-Kill" approach to this, no follow-up shots(hopefully this will keep a war from starting).
    But I'm looking where cartridges like 32NAA, 9x23mm IMI, 9x25mm and etc fall in.
    There is no 1-shot 1-kill guarantee in a handgun. Read recent FBI information on the subject.

Shoot until your target ceases to be a threat.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    anythng bigger than a .380.
    After that it's where you shoot the BG.

It's that simple

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

+1 Airmen
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I don't think a list of calibers would be the best possible list in deeming what is neccesary for self defense.

A better list would be where to hit with the caliber of your choosing would be the best for self defense...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Choose what suits your ideal-for-carry platform and learn to use it, and well.

Folks will for ever have thoughts on what is ''best'' and thus the seemingly eternal debate. A shot from a Smith 500 that misses (even if muzzle blast puts the guy down ) is no good compared to two fast useful hits with a 9mm!

One aspect comparing the low power with ultra high power too - is user controllability. Two or three relatively and fast accurate shots from a .380 could well prove more effective than a bad .44 mag shot with very slow follow-up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Any caliber that you will carry on your person (on your person), not under the car seat or back home will work. It could be a 22lr, .25 auto, 32 or .380 auto on up. Make sure that you have shot many rounds down range with the gun and that you can hit what you point at. If the gun is too big you might not carry it all of the time. The under the car seat/back home thing again. Yes I known most will make fun of these same calibers. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. Get to know some peoples with a CCW and spot check them, you will find that the ones with the big guns do not have them on their persons all the time. After 26 years in Law Enforcement/Military and required to carry 24/7, I known it is a pain to hide a big heavy gun. Big gun is for Raids, small gun (BUG) is always on my body.

frankmako

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Unrealistic expectation for any handgun caliber... or even rifle calibers.

A .380 COM beats a .308 in the forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by 1man
    I would like a "1-Shot 1-Kill" approach to this, no follow-up shots
    Last edited by tanksoldier; April 10th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    As far as I am concerned the 38 and 9mm are the beginning of what I feel comfortable with for stopping power. Going up to what ever you feel comfortable shooting.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links