Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a practice gun.

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  rottkeeper 
#1 ·
First I would just like to say hello to all the forum members. Alright and now my question. I have little knowledge of guns but am interested in learning about guns and safe handling/using of guns. Some time in the future I would like to buy a Ruger LCP, but before buying the LCP I would like to buy a similar model gun in a .22 cartridge. And why I would like to do this is considering .22 ammo is much cheaper and more easily available it would make practicing things much easier.
So I guess what I would like to know is if I first buy a .22 semi auto and practice alot with that would it closely mimic the Ruger lcp in .380 close enough? Or would they be way to different considering the larger caliber .380 to get enough practice to be able to proficiently use the Ruger when I finally buy one? Or would the results from practicing with the .22 not mimic the .380 enough that I would have to start all over again when I get the Ruger?
And if it would be a good idea to get a .22 first can you please offer any suggestions on what would be a good one to get. I'm not sure if I should get a model that is the same size as the LCP or would it not make a difference. I'm not looking to spend a heap on a .22 but I'm also not looking for a piece of junk. So hey any suggestions that anyone has I would greatly appreciate them. Cheers mateys:bier:.

#2 ·
Look at the Beretta Bobcat model 21 in .22lr for something close in size. I am not a big fan of using a .22 to mimic or practice with due to recoil being more felt in the centerfire firearm in such a small size. I am not saying it is useless, but I never perceived any benefit in my shooting.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum ! Here you will find very friendly people and all the info you could want.

The only training tool I have seen in a .22 was a Sig Mosquito. I'm not sure it would work with the LCP but it's a fine gun and it will let you fix minor problems in training without breaking the bank. Your tastes might even change once you get more involved in training. They can be bought in my area for under 300.00.

#4 ·
First off, Welcome to the forum. A .22 is an excellent first purchase. The guns aren't outrageously priced and ammo is cheap. Learning safety and basic trigger control are paramount. You may want to take an NRA basic pistol course in your area if you can find one. There is even a "First Shots" program NRA is sponsoring around the US, that may interest you.

As for guns, I think you are going to have hard time finding a .22 that is close to the LCP. It has a long fairly heavy trigger pull and fair bit of recoil. If I was starting out, I would look for something along the lines of a Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mk. III, S&W Mdl. 22A, or even a Walther P22. All are semi-auto, will be fun to shoot and excellent for honing your shooting skills. You may even want to look for a double action .22 revolver, which would more closely mimic the long trigger pull you will encounter with an LCP. Taurus and S&W have double action models that may interest you.

If you start with a full size .22, you will always enjoy shooting it and it will provide you with many years of enjoyment. Of all the guns I have, I still have the most fun with my Ruger Mk. II .22, so do my kids...

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Good to see some one who is willing to put in the work before taking up the responsibility. TX-JB nailed it right on the head. The trigger on the auto's is going to be miles away from the trigger on the LCP so don't be put off. The .22 is the hardest to master, but it is the easiest to practice. Hope that makes sense. What I mean is, it is cheap ammo so easy to practice, but it is very sensitive to correct form. Once you become proficient with the .22 of your choice, transitioning to ANY OTHER caliber is relatively easy.

Good luck!

#6 ·
:bier: Welcome to DC.

If it was me. I would rather get the one that I was planning on using as my CC, or HD weapon, and becoming proficient with it from the start. I have the LCP that I use as a BUG, and I can't think of any smaller caliber pistol that will simulate the recoil or trigger, but thats just me, YMMV.

That said. Everyone agrees it's just fun and inexpensive trigger time with a .22, everyone should have one, just for the fun factor. I wouldn't want to defend my life or family's well being to that caliber, but its better than nothing at all. My suggestion, chose the larger caliber and start your training from there. Pick up the .22 later and you should see some serious control over the lighter recoil and sight alignment. Plus, in the meantime you'll have a caliber that can be useful in ending a fight a little quicker.:hand10:

Take care.

#7 ·
I agree with getting your carry gun and getting used to it. I am a bit of a perfectionist and set a personal standard for myself. If I can't shoot consistant 3 inch or smaller groups I won't carry that gun until I can. I know if I ever need to defend my life it's very likely I won't shoot as good as I do under controlled conditions like the range. I want to be comfortable and accurate with what I'm carrying before the time comes that I might need to save my butt(or my family), and that is why I practice at least once a week.
A .22 is a fun plinker and cheap to shoot, I have one just for the fun of shooting, and it's turning out to me a nice starter gun for my 12 y/o daughter. I took her out last week with the Ruger MK III and 8 shot out of her first 10 hit the steel plate at 15 yards:smile:

#8 ·
'Concur w/ gottabekiddin & Rugergirl.

If you're just practicing lining up iron sites, then a .22 is fine. But you then could just practice with a BB gun even cheaper?

The fact is that neither is like shooting a self-defense calibre. I have to practice with each of my concealed guns, as each shoots differently and requires just a little tweaking of technique. I can say first-hand that the LCP required that I practice with a slightly different angle with my trigger finger to avoid 'pinching' that big ol' fleshy digit behind the trigger. The first time that I went to shoot it, it literally wouldn't shoot because I had so much meat wedged behind the trigger! Don't get me wrong - it's a well-made gun and shoots right where I point it.

Welcome to the group from a fellow newb! This site is a fountain of information (mostly excellent stuff).

#9 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Why not just figure out which Glock you really like...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...(26, 36, etc.), and start using a potential EDC?:image035:

ret :31:

#10 ·
Hello and Welcom.. You state in your opening post you want to buy an LCP. Why? What are you going to use it for?

If it's for carry I'd say just go with the LCP from the start. I have a .45 (Taurus 745 Pro) for my carry gun (IWB) and I have an LCP in pocket for backup and those time I just can't carry my 745. There is NO similarity at all, shooting one does not help in training for the other.

I also have a Beretta U22 (.22 autoloader) for "fun" and likewise, shooting the .22 helps in no way with using/handling the LCP or 745.

So.. if you wan the LCP for carry, get it, learn it, and practice with it. If it's not for carry (say, home defense) then consider something bigger.

Again, why do you want the LCP (what will it's use be)

(my opinion only, your experience will vary)

#12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess to get .22 first probably wasn't as good an idea as I thought. Not to say that it's a horrible idea but I think I could only learn a little bit from using a .22 and Id rather just get good with the .380 right off the git go. Also to save some money I might just look into hand loading my rounds if that's not to hard of a thing to do.

1611 I would be getting the LCP for carry.

retsupt99 Yes I agree that a bigger round would be better. But being on the sorta smaller side I want something easy to conceal. I know they have small framed bigger caliber guns but something even a little bigger than the LCP would be more than I would like to deal with. What it really comes down to is I want something that's easy to conceal with whatever I would be wearing. The smaller the more likely I am to carry.

#13 ·
Chester..First, WELCOME to the forum.....Please check availability of .380 ammo in your area. If you buy an LCP and as a "new shooter" can not get ammo to practice with, you are hurting your ability to train to protect yourself and loved ones. You mentioned "handloading" ammo, but if I read your post correctly, you've never loaded ammo before. I'd get comfortable with a carry weapon and proficient in it's use, before I got into reloading ammo for personal use. Just my opinion..

If you want a 22 to practice with and you could conceivably carry, look at (Google) the Walther P22. I have one and it's great to practice with, and with a .22 lr hollowpoint can suffice for SD until you are comfortable carrying and have the ability to upgrade caliber or until you find ammo for the LCP. And, as others have suggested, perhaps LOOK at a Glock 26 in 9mm. It is of a small enough size to be easily concealed, even by small framed individuals. Again, Just My Opinion...Good Luck and BE SAFE!!

#14 ·
You are probably not going to find anything to mimic an LCP in a .22 but as for practicing with a .22, it's a great way to shoot cheep and learn the fundamentals of shooting. Having a .22 for target shooting is a lot of fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.