Balance: Carry and Fun

This is a discussion on Balance: Carry and Fun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a balance of two major things in new handgun. Currently waiting for my CHL to come in, and I'm trying to decide what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balance: Carry and Fun

Balance: Carry and Fun

Looking for a balance of two major things in new handgun. Currently waiting for my CHL to come in, and I'm trying to decide what to carry.

I currently have a S&W Sigma 9mm, but not going to use that as my carry. I obviously want a compact/subcompact, and I have settled on two calibers... .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I want to be able to carry it with as many rounds as possible, but also want to be able to eliminate a threat if, God forbid, I ever have to do so. In this aspect, I want capacity and stopping power.

In addition, I would like to be able to go to the range and put a hurt on some paper silhouettes without breaking the bank. So in this aspect, I want FUN and frugality (as much as possible, at least)

I am fully aware of the fact that this is the age old comparison (.40 vs .45) and everyone has their preferences (not to mention that there may not be any real 'winner'), but can you more experienced folks give my your opinions regarding the matter?
    Springfield XD 45 Tactical Compact - Walther P22 - GOA
    George Mason: "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."

2. Remove Ads

Not a fan of the .40 but in relation to the way ammo is showing up in my neck of woods; .40 would be alot easier to get and less costly. Either way it's more about shot placement than anything. So I say go with the .40.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

I am a fan of the .40, but that aside, I think it's the one that meets your criteria best. Looking at both as capable stoppers, which I believe them both to be, you get more rounds of .40 in the same size gun than .45, and the ammo is cheaper, if not by much. Definitely greater availability around here at the moment, too.

That said, it is a good bit more comfy to shoot .40 in a compact rather than subcompact, so I'd lean that way. Of course, I don't imagine .45 to much fun out of subcompact either, but I don't know. (I've never fired a .45 subcompact, only 5" 1911s.)

VIP Member
    Look at the Glocks...G23 or 27 in .40, G30 or 36 in .45. Springfield XD's have pretty similar models. Some folks like Glocks, some like XD's, I like both... If you can, go rent some at a local range...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I am fully aware of the fact that this is the age old comparison (.40 vs .45) and everyone has their preferences (not to mention that there may not be any real 'winner'), but can you more experienced folks give my your opinions regarding the matter?
    Trying to compare the various defensive/duty calibers is like trying to see how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Anything from 9mm/38 SPL to 45 ACP/.44 Mag will work if the "proper" bullet is selected and it is placed where it will do the most good. In short, bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.

There is one round I am most fond of, and that is the "King of the Street" load of .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP. You can light a cigar twelve feet from the end of the barrel when you fire one of them off. Anything else is just "making do".

The forty has some advantages in versatility and ammo capacity for weapon size when compared to the 45. The 45 has bullet size, mild recoil, and usually, ease of finding a good selection of ammo, in it's favor.

Right now I carry a .40S&W BAP off duty, but have carried most calibers at one time or another. I always gravitate back to the .357 Magnum and compare everything to that.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 19th, 2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typo

For me, it's the Springfield XDSC in either .40 S&W or 9mm. Solid as a rock, accurate, plenty of firepower. Great carry gun!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I don't have one but how about a Glock G19? It's a good carry gun that you can easily roll some 9mm off with at the range. A G26 would be good too but you give up a little in capacity. I have a G33 which can be a bit pricey at the range (but fun).

Depends on how strong your hands are. A Glock 23 is a pretty light gun for .40 and much harder to control than a Sig 229, which seems to be made for the round. I've shot both and opted for the Sig. I haven't shot the Kahr, but that's a possibility. Personally, I'm confident with 9 mil. A glock 19 or Sig 228 is perfect.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

G30 or G36

Sticking with your choices..I like 45ACP(in fairness have ZERO experience with 40S&W)I just think practice will be rather expensive compared to 9mm, for instance. If you're not a 1911 type than the Glock 30SF or 36 would be my choice. Reliable, great power-to-size ratio and plenty of holsters choices out there. Good luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Trying to compare the various defensive/duty calibers is like trying to see how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    Reminds me of a quote I often see on another forum:
    "Shot placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just Angels dancing on the head of a pin."

Man, I sure do like the .45! Soooo much smoother to shoot than that dang .40.

That said, you seem to be asking which one gun can do it all. There is no such beast! Why do you think so many of us own so many different guns?!

Take my Sig P226 for an example. I love carrying it around in a Milt Sparks VMII holster. Still, there are many days when I cannot carry it because of the clothing I really must be wearing in my position. [that is an awfully big gun] But, that said, there are a lot of days when I look at my Sigs and decide to go with a Springfield Emp or a USP compact . . . or . . .

Now, at the range is where I really do enjoy these different guns. I've got to say that the P226 is the most accurate gun in my hands that I currently own. But, I did just get a P220 Carry and haven't had a chance to see what it can do at the range!

Guns like women . . . why do you have to have just one?!

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    That said, you seem to be asking which one gun can do it all. There is no such beast!
    Not really in a compact carry piece. I carry a PT140, but it's not a particularly pleasant "paper-puncher" with factory ammo. With my 155 gr/900 fps hand loads, yes.

For general paper punching I prefer one of my .22 match guns or .38 special mid-range loads in my Colt Python.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Had a pt140 a darn snappy lil bugger, my edc is now a pt145 95% of the time 10+1 and carry a spare mag when I have to go to a real bad part of town. Just my .02

cmb
    Serving two purposes with one gun will take some compromise, smaller and lighter guns may indeed be easeir to conceal but medium and larger guns with heavier frames seem more friendly to shoot hundreds of rounds through. For instance I like to carry my PF 9 more than my full size 9mm or 1911, but which do I spend more time on the range with, no contest!

So you want something which falls in the middle and there are good choice, I think I would go G19 (or sig, xd, taurus etc...). Concealable but shootable.

I would personally go with the G30, it size, weight, capacity and caliber are sure enticing!

Cost: 9mm is still cheaper, I can still get 9mm for 20-30$/100, where as 45 is 32-52/100.

All that said a 3" 1911 would fit that bill as well....
    Last edited by cmb; September 19th, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added caliber cost

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    Reminds me of a quote I often see on another forum:
    "Shot placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just Angels dancing on the head of a pin."
    That was the quote that influenced what I wrote.

In my sleep deprived state I failed to remember it correctly.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links