Defensive Carry banner

Glock Tenifer treatment

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jem102 
#1 ·
My G27 is getting holster worn so while I have it down for new springs and an XS big dot sight install I was thinking of having the slide redone. Either re-parkerized or one of the "bake on" finishes. My concern is that the slide must be grit blasted for these processes to work correctly as I understand them for proper adhesion. If this is the case is their a chance it will penetrate the Tenifer treatment that is only a few thousands thick?
Any input appreciated.

#2 ·
If I were having the slide refinished by a non-Glock outfit, I too would be concerned.

Why not just send it to Glock? I have faith they wouldn't damage the tennifer finish. From what I read they charge around $50-60 to completely update any worn out or outdated parts in your gun AND refinish the slide.

#3 ·
http://www.arotek.com/default.aspx

Custom Refinishing

Custom Refinishing Aro-Tek provides custom finishing of your Glock, including Diamond Black and Satin Chrome finish for your barrel or slide, and custom laser engraving of the Aro-Tek logo.

You can send your slide complete, we remove the sights and internal parts and reinstall after the slide is refinished.

Our Black and Hard Chrome runs start the first week February, May and September. Turn around time is 4-5 weeks. We ask that the parts arrive the last week of the preceding month.

Slides are $119.00 and Barrels are $59.00. A Chrome Dress Up Kit is $34.00, and includes a Hard Chrome Trigger Pin, Locking Block Pin and Slide Lock.

Allow $8.00 for return shipping of a barrel and or slide.

Download a pdf copy of our order form from our Home Page. Pre-payment is required unless a Visa or MasterCard number is provided with the order. Charges will be applied at the time we ship your slide or barrel.

To order toll free call:1-888-8AROTEK (1-888-827-6835) | phone: 253.351.2984
Aro-Tek PDF Order Form | Email Us | Privacy Policy
Copyright© 2009 ARO-TEK LTD.
Aro-Tek Ltd.
4024 113th. Ave. SW
Olympia WA. 98512

#5 ·
This is from Aro-Tec's website FAQ's regarding the Glock Tenifer Finish

Aro-Tec FAQ

Will Slide Refinishing Remove the Tenifer?

Tenifer is not a finish. Tenifer is a Heat Treat process that hardens the outer surface of steel to the point that a file will not scratch it. Glocks made before about 2004 had a dull black slide finish.
This appears to be a Black Oxide finish and it is easily removed with holster wear. These are great canadates to have refinished with our Black Diamond or Satin Hard Chrome.

Newer Glocks that have a shiny black appearance, this is a much superior finish. This finish does not appear to wear off with holster usage. If undamaged I would not recomend replacing it with our Black Diamond Finish

Our Satin Hard Chrome goes over the top of Tenifer without removing it. Chrome is a very hard, dense material, applied over Tenifer makes it even more durable. We have been using this process for nearly 12 years and I have yet to have one come back because it did not hold up.

Recently an Officer that duty carries reported that there is no wear on his Glock that he had refinished in 1995.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
According to Aro-Tec's web page they no longer offer the refinishing for slides. I will call Glock and see what is required to send it to them.

#7 ·
The Glock Tenifer process actually penetrates below the surface into the metal a few microns. The part you're seeing as holster wear is the black parkerized finish on top of that. From what we are led to believe, nothing should be able to "penetrate" the tenifer barrier. It's 64 Rockwell C, 0.05mm thick done in a 500° C Nitride bath.

#8 ·
That's my concern Ram. The treatment only extends just below the surface. I know a guy that does parkerizing and I might just have him degrease it and throw it in the tank and see what color I get without grit blasting it.

#9 ·
In order to apply a NEW Metal Finish (parkerizing , bluing, or metal plating ) the
Original finish must be REMOVED. Glocks have a colored finish on top of the Tenifer.

You can however have a "paint" type finish applied over it. :smile:

Park is a very good rough duty finish but it WILL show wear.

#12 ·
You are not wearing the tenifer finish at all. You can have the black finish restored, but the tenifer is forever. I know this for a fact because I watched a Glock armorer demonstrate just how fast you could ruin a gunsmith's file on the slide of a Glock. He did this to demonstrate proof of just how durable the tenifer finish really is. The only finish that begins to measure up is hard chrome.....

#13 ·
Hmmm... I had no idea the Glock's exterior is made of super-duper unobtanium. I wonder how the competition competes?

The Melonite nitrocarburizing treatment the M&P receives results in a surface hardness of 68 HRc (through-hardened), which is a little harder than the 64 HRc of the Glock's (0.05 mm thick) nitrocarburizing treatment marketed under the Tenifer trade name.
I see now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.