Defensive Carry banner

Hiking Gun Preferences (Southeast US)

10K views 46 replies 39 participants last post by  B17 
#1 ·
First let me apologize for rehashing such a tired topic.. but I'm looking for opinions.

Scenario: Hiking the north Georgia mountains with sons. Black bears are very common, but attacks are somewhere between rare, and nonexistent. Factor in my experience of near mauling by a large black bear in Gatlinburg TN when I was 16. My father was literally bluff charged and harassed by a bear repeatedly for over 15 minutes on a trail. I was further down the trail, but he was pretty shaken, and almost broke his ankle trying to fend the thing off with a stick. Whenever he tells that story he says he wished he'd had a gun. I'm worried that that experience will taint my decision making process. So threats would be in order of priority:

1) Bad guys
2) Rabid animals (dogs, raccoons, etc..)
3) Black bears

So here is the question..

Question 1: What to carry.

My choices are pretty narrow. I have several handguns, but consider two in the running for this decision. They are:

1. Sig P229 chambered in 40 S&W.
2. Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag revolver with a 4inch bbl.

I think the Sig would be more than adequate for all situations EXCEPT for an aggressive black bear. Black bear would be better handled by the big bore revolver. BUT the big bore revolver has only 6 rounds, so an attack by a group of bad guys would be better handled by the sig and the 12+1 capacity. With the likelihood of bear attack so small, which would you carry? I also consider weight of the heavy revolver vs the light by comparison Sig. With the Sig I would get the doubletap 200gr hardcast ammo. For the .44 I'd go with the doubletap 250gr hardcast. I have carried the Sig on the trail several times, but not in the mountains where the Bears live. I felt completely confident every time.

Question 2: How to carry

When I carry the Sig while backpacking, I use a safepacker from thewilderness.com. It works great because it slides onto my backpack's hip belt, and then can be transferred to my pants belt when the pack is off. The safepacker is a sort of "in the open" concealed carry. I like it quite a bit. I will probably carry with that if I decide to go with the sig auto. For the Ruger however, I don't currently have a holster. They make a safepacker that will fit the ruger for around 80 bucks, but I could also get one of those inexpensive Uncle Mike's sidekick holster for around 14 bucks. That is a more traditional open carry solution. So, would you go with the Safepacker or an open carry hip holster for a revolver?

Thanks for any input you guys can give me. I appreciate it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Glock G20 or G29 pistols with Double Tap 10MM 200 gr WFNGC Hardcast ammo @1300 fps.

I carry the G29SF.

#5 ·
Personally, you're probably better served with the Sig for what more than likely be predators of the 2 legged variety and carry it in your usual fashion with the safepacker.

Now, if you are really concerned with bears and other 4 legged predators, I would opt for the Redhawk .44 Mag. Six shots for a group of 2 legged bad guys is no slouch. It will keep their heads down while you take cover and get out of there. Work on your reloading speed.

For me, If bears were a big problem and especially if I was camping out overnight in bear country I would opt for the Puma M-92 Bounty Hunter Rifle. You can find the link here.

I think you would get much better ballistic performance from the .44 mag out of a 12 inch barrel and better accuracy. It has a 12 inch barrel and 24 inches overall so it must be registered as a handgun.

It's available in .45 colt; 44-40 and .44 magnum.

Strap that bad boy to your pack and you're all set for any 2 or 4 legged critter that has a bad attitude.

There's an excellent holster set up for it and gun belt, but I would just take the holster and strap it to my backpack for more practicality.

You can get the McQueen Bounty Hunter Leg Holster here.

There's an excellent write-up on the gun by Jeff Quinn of GunBlast.com here. He has several pictures and one of him holding the rifle for size comparison.

Reactions: marcclarke
#6 ·
#7 ·
+1 fotomaker57... And keep you in good graces with the game wardens as well!

#8 ·
Each caliber and gun platform will have it's positive and negative aspects, that only you can weigh and come to a conclusion upon.

As previously stated, the .40 S&W caliber will give you an ammunition capacity advantage over the .44 Magnum. What people tend to forget, in regards to lethal encounters of the criminal group kind, is that once you start shooting back at criminals they tend to "kick rocks" in a rapid and expiditious manner.

Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of a bullet, bad guys included for the most part. That does not mean that you won't have to shoot, or that they won't shoot back at you, but generally the less commited of the aggressors looks for a way out.

IMHO, the .44 Magnum is the better choice for encounters of the bear kind. For humans I would give the nod to the forty, only for ammunition capacity and hopefully faster follow-up shots. The Bear Spray is an excellent idea. I suggest that and the autoloading platform, backed up with a 12 Guage Shotgun loaded with slugs if possible.

I hunt bear with a .44 Magnum, but keep a Guage right handy when I do, just in case.

Biker

#9 ·
I hike in some areas in AZ that are remote and are home to 4-legged carnivores. My usual sidearm for the remote places is a Glock 23 with 2 spare mags, all carried on the belt. One alternative is a .357 mag Security Six, but its heavier then the G23 and I don't shoot it as well.

So to answer your questions, I would stick to the Sig autoloader because the more likely threat won't be from bears. However, I would advise a holster that allows faster access then the Safepacker, unless you are constrained to keep your sidearm concealed.

#13 ·
I would carry the Sig...40 S&W isn't a slouch. I have killed 300lb hogs with one before.. I would carry it in something more easily accessible than the safepacker tho.... load it with at least 165 or 180 grain ammo...Buffalo Bore makes some hot stuff....just my opinion...thanks Robbie

#14 ·
Living in SC we have always been told that black bears are kind of easy to scare away, MOSTLY, so I would keep the Sig and hope the noise would frighted the bear.

Or you could trade the .44 for a S&W .500 magnum with a short barrel, hand the gun to the bear, let him fire it. That should scare him off.

#15 ·
Try the Ruger with some hard cast .44 spec Buffalo Bore loads. Easy to shoot, makes a big hole and will stop anything in North America. They are easier than .44 mag 240 gr but the results are OUTSTANDING.

#17 ·
I have hiked hundreds of miles in the GSMNP and have encountered many bears. None have been aggressive as long as you do not get between mom and cubs. I would recommend the .40, as your only adversary will be two legged and the threat is real.

Keep it handy. Put in a pouch on the front of the pack straps so it is concealed and handy.

R

#18 ·
I've hiked and camped extensively througout the mountain areas of TN, GA, & NC over the years and have never really found bears to be a threat. Black Bears are easily scared off by noise. My closest calls with wildlife have come at the hands of (er paws?) skunks and racoons. i've had skunks wander trough camp at night and once a racoon tried to steal a small day pack. Frankly I have always worried about the two-legged animals more then the four legged kind. As I pack light I usually carry my j-frame .38.

#23 ·
If you are limited to your current choices, then I agree with the SIG 229 + bear spray. I have goine through a similar analysis for my needs on hiking/camping trips, and there are a number of other choices out there in much lighter revolvers for both purposes, such as the S&W 329PD, Charter Arms Bulldog with the Buffalo Bore ammo (near .44 mag performance out of .44 special), etc. Frankly, the Redhawk is a bear (no pun intended!) to carry all day, being very heavy and a large piece of equipment.

Traditionally, they say you need something with a "4" for bear....41 mag, .44mag, etc. However, you might also consider a nice Model 60 in .357 -- easy to carry (including concealed) or throw in a tackle box; more than adequate for BGs; and if necessary, a few .357 mags to the head will cetainly deter, if not stop, a bear. If you were in grizzly country, the Redhawk (or an Alaskan or the above S&W) for sure. In black bear country, I'd be worried more about the 2-legged predators and just carry spray.

#24 ·
I did a lot of research into this as well and while I wish I could simply use my 4" .357Mag, the research read that a .357 wouldn't be enough. I may/probably will get a Ruger .44mag in the future, but it would be an absolute last resort.

Living in Florida, we're not allowed to shoot threatened or endangered animals (Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine) which would include the Florida black bear. I plan on getting bear spray and using it. As mentioned, a .44 would be a last resort for me.

This is what I'll carry before the next camping trip: Frontiersman Bear Deterrent Pepper Spray 9.2 oz Aerosol with Belt Holster - MidwayUSA

#26 ·
Like that 4" Ruger for double duty on 4 and 2 legged predators!:smile:

#27 ·
I would reccomend a comprimise, 10mm (either 1911 or go to the darkside and get a glock) this gives you the ammo capacity of a .40 with a punch that is stronger than a .357

#29 ·
i would go with the gun you shoot most and feel most comfortable.

AND Bear spray.

I've read so many accounts of the effectiveness of bear spray over a gun. Besides, bear spray is also a less than lethal option for the two legged kinds. A cloud of orange pain is gonna stop a charging grizzly, and a scumbag.

#30 ·
I'd say 10mm (my choice) 41 or 44 Magnum for Bear defense.

There doesn't seem to be much of a hostile attitude on here towards the
10mm as on THR.

Most people compare it to a .357 Magnum.

I like the idea of a .40 Magnum myself.

The 10mm comes close to my ideal balance of
power, control and capacity.

Of course, we are talking Double Tap ammo or hot
hand loads.

Double Tap does ( or once did) offer a .40 load that would be my choice if I
was somehow limited to a forty.

I like that deep driving Hornady XTP.

http://www.doubletapammo.com

But still prefer my 10mm when I'm out out in the woods.

#33 ·
I was looking specificaly at the Doubletap 200gr WFN rounds for the .40. Would you recommend that or the Hornady XTP controlled expansion? I had always heard to go hardcast for penetration.

I'd say 10mm (my choice) 41 or 44 Magnum for Bear defense.

There doesn't seem to be much of a hostile attitude on here towards the
10mm as on THR.

Most people compare it to a .357 Magnum.

I like the idea of a .40 Magnum myself.

The 10mm comes close to my ideal balance of
power, control and capacity.

Of course, we are talking Double Tap ammo or hot
hand loads.

Double Tap does ( or once did) offer a .40 load that would be my choice if I
was somehow limited to a forty.

I like that deep driving Hornady XTP.

Doubletapammo Shop

But still prefer my 10mm when I'm out out in the woods.

#31 · (Edited)
Better to be overgunned than undergunned when in bear country. Of the 2 rounds the .44 is THE caliber you should be carrying with a heavy penetrating bullet as the .357 is not a bear round unless you get a good kill shot angle (highly unlikely if attacked). DO NOT use a hollow point bullet as you need to either break it's spine, penetrate it's skull or hit heavy bone to break it down. I too would suggest a holster that allows a quicker draw.

I would be packing my old trusty 870 riot loaded with OO buck followed by a slug in that order if I was in Bearville. Great for all legged predators and much more accurate if a blackies coming at you at 30 MPH.

JMO, have fun and don't worry. You have a better chance of hitting the lottery than being attacked by a bear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.