Researching next purchase - Page 2

Researching next purchase

This is a discussion on Researching next purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're going to get all kinds of answers here. I like CZ quite a bit. I have a full size CZ-75B in 9mm (My favorite ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching next purchase

You're going to get all kinds of answers here. I like CZ quite a bit. I have a full size CZ-75B in 9mm (My favorite pistol design), but haven't been able to carry it due to problems with getting my holster made right. I currently carry a little Kahr, but am upgrading to a G32 in .357 Sig for winter carry. 9mm is indeed inexpensive - and a great round - especially with all the great loads these days, but I'm willing to take the plunge for the more powerful and expensive .357 Sig. I wanted something unique - and the Sig round is just that. If I desire I believe I can throw a G19 barrel into my 32 if I ever want to shoot 9mm. Have fun getting all types of crazy answers!

Just my $0.02.

I would decide on a platform first, as you have the striker fired plastic doublestack up against the single action single stack autoloader.

With that said I would go with the single action double stack autoloader myself in a John Moses Browning design in either 9mm or .40 S&W. The .40 S&W can be converted to .357 Sig by virtue of a "drop in" barrel. You could also drop in a 9mm barrel and change your magazines and fire 9mm out of your .40 S&W.

In short I would select the Hi Power in .40 S&W and not look back. It addresses all the weak points of the 1911 and isn't a plastic disposable gun. I do own one "plastic disposable gun" and it's a Glock 19.

Biker

IMO, The G27 would fit your situation well. The .40 caliber is a very effective caliber with plenty of punch. The Glock platform is hard to beat IMO and the G27 is pretty compact for the .40 round. I have the G23 and if I had to chose just one pistol, that would be the one. If you chose the 9mm, the G26 is a excellent choice for that too. Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the insightful replies. I have always been one for striker fired pistols, but am not stuck on it. I had a Glock 19 before and i LOVED IT. To bad divorce got in the way and that pesky lawyer wanted more money, so I had to rid myself. I still, to this day remember the serial number.

I do not like the .40, fired it quite a bit and never liked the snap of the recoil, 9mm is ok, always had them, was thinking .45 or .357sig just for the stopping power.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

My $0.02 worth says to skip the .357 Sig - primarily based on price and availability of ammo. You can almost always find .45 or 9mm even in the boonies, but finding .357 Sig will be dicey. On top of that, even though the .357 Sig has been with us for a full decade, its street performance is still far less well-documented than the 9mm or .45 ACP. If you just go by the preponderance of evidence, the traditional calibers well serve you well for sure.

I'll also enter a vote for a CZ... excellent weapon in a range of sizes. About the worst that can be said is that it might need a trigger job.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Actually, random thought since you are having issues picking caliber. Try a Sig 250. Pick a size of 250 you like then you can experiment with differant calibers if you find that you dont like that caliber. So far the 250 has had a decent run, and I havent heard anything really bad yet.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

darn Glocks just don't feel right in your hand,have to go with the XD

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    darn Glocks just don't feel right in your hand,have to go with the XD
    But they might feel right in his hand.

I agree. Glocks don't feel right in my hand, either. When I go to naturally point it and then look at the sights, it is aiming waaayyy high. I have to roll my wrist uncomfortably forward to acquire proper sighting.

If he tries a Glock and has the same issue, I would also recommend an XD or the S&W M&P Series of semi-autos. The M&P 9c and the M&P 45c are both nice. I should say they are both nice in my hand, as I have not shot either.

Maybe I wouldn't suggest .357 Sig for someone who's new in handguns. Practicing could get pricey, and ammo is sometimes hard to find. However, when ammo was at its worst availability-wise, .357 Sig was the only thing sitting on the shelf, so I don't know. Some shops never stock it. You just have to know who carries it. It's a specialty caliber to a certain degree.

As far as well documented performance, sure, 9mm and .45ACP win outright over the Sig round in this regard - both are awesome cartridges. I like 9mm just fine. The 357 Sig is still very new (A mere decade isn't long for a cartridge to be around considering how old the .45ACP and 9mm are) and that's the reason why there aren't as many documented cases of shootings involving the round. This doesn't mean much though. On the contrary, most - if not all - documented cases of .357 Sig shootings since its introduction are more than satisfactory. It's a hot round and works well. Texas DPS, U.S. Secret Service, and other agencies use it with confidence. Just because something is relatively new doesn't mean it isn't good.

I started out shooting 9mm. It lets you focus on getting that important practice in on the cheap, and the recoil is very forgiving, which allows concentration on fundmentals for beginners. I don't regret my decision to upgrade to .357 Sig for defense later on though. It's very impressive - 1,550fps and 614ftlbs of energy from a 4" barrel in one particular loading. Good penetration, excellent terminal performance, and feeding problems are virtually nonexistant due to the tapered case. Good choice, cool round - albeit loud and snappy, but expensive as well. Worth it to me.

I'm a fan of the XD myself. I carry a 9mm SC and love the size. If I had the money though I would move to the .45 compact. Short grip for concealment and large round for stopping power.

I choose to carry the 9mm right now because I'm poor folk. I can barely afford to buy $10 practice ammo for it, much less the more expensive ammo for the .45.

I personally subscribe to the idea that you should carry the largest caliber with the heaviest bullet you can comfortably handle. Unfortunately, money also plays a role
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    =Glocks don't feel right in my hand, either. When I go to naturally point it and then look at the sights, it is aiming waaayyy high. I have to roll my wrist uncomfortably forward to acquire proper sighting.
    Ditto

Hey Coriantan,

Don't feel outgunned with your 9mm! There's some real hot 9mm ammo out right now. Keep practicing with the cheap $10 stuff as much as you can, but run a few boxes of Double-Tap (1415fps - 511ftlbs) , Cor Bon (1350fps - 466ftlbs), or Buffalo Bore (1400fps - 500ftlbs) through your gun for a function check - and use that for self-defense. Those are just a few examples of high-tech 9mm cartridges. There are better SD guns out there, but one chambered in 9mm is no joke.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I think I may have said, i have always shot 9mm, so I am good with that round, and had a G19 and LOVED it. The M&P 9c I did not feel great to me. I need to hold the XD's more, dont know anyone that has one to try.

I would not feel hesitant to use a 9mm, but I am not really sure which caliber I want. I am doing research as we speak to see what I would like to try. To bad i cannot afford one of each, LOL.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

You cant go wrong with the G19. You said you loved yours, so why change? Ammo is easier to find than 45 or especially 357sig. The accessories and holsters for it could fill a book all by themselves. And if you join the GSSF you can get a discounted rate through their LE vendor.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

In regards to finding ammo, it must be a regional thing.

In my trip to two usually well stocked stores I have managed to find two boxes of .357 Sig and one box of .40 S&W defensive ammo. There was no 9mm or .45 ACP to be found for defensive usage.

The nice thing about a .40 or a .357 autoloading platform is that usually you can change the barrel, and maybe the magazine in the case of 9mm, and shoot three different calibers out of the same gun.

Biker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links