Researching next purchase - Page 3

Researching next purchase

This is a discussion on Researching next purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; pick a caliber first. This caliber should be the caliber YOU can put downrange with accuracy! A 45's power does no good if you cant ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    pick a caliber first. This caliber should be the caliber YOU can put downrange with accuracy! A 45's power does no good if you cant keep control. That being said a 9mm YOU can control is better then a 45 you CANT control. Stressful situations call for a round and gun that you can control.

Second pick a gun, people on the forum will tell you how good a gun feels and fits themselves NOT YOU. Glock, HK, Springfield, etc etc all make good guns. Find friends or ranges where you can try em out. if ya cant try em out, id say lean to the firearm that fits best in your hand.

Biker is right about finding .357 Sig. It's usually around. On another note - sure, the guns from which it is fired aren't very popular, which in turn makes the round itself not too popular - or vice-versa; but as a result it usually stays on the shelf longer for you to go grab than 9mm does. Back to what Biker was saying: +1 on barrel/caliber/mag interchangeablility as well for the Glock platform. It's a modular design. The Sig P250 didn't start it. I'm not knocking Sig though.

Southpaw speaks the truth as well. All good points. In sticking with what he said about picking a gun that feels well and fits right for you, why not go back to the compact Glock (G19,G23,G32) that you're already comfortable with? Those guns may be all different calibers, but frame-wise they're nearly identical. You seem to want something different than 9mm, so that leaves you two more choices in the same size range for the Glocks. Sounds like you're trying to keep an open-mind for everything, which is awesome, but don't forget about what has worked best for you in the past. I myself can't wait to pick up my G32 .357 Sig - it's the same size as your old G19.

Let us know what you end up doing man!

As my login implies, I really like CZs. I've tried many different firearms and for me there just isn't a better fit than a CZ. I now have three ( 75B stainless, 75BD, and a PCR) and they are all excellent. I will admit that the triggers need work/break-in when new but after 500 round or dry-fires, it's pretty smooth. You may have it worked further for a lighter pull. It, in many ways, is a classic and the prices keep going up so they're something of an investment as well. My understanding is that prices are supposed to go up again this coming January. For example, I bought my stainless in December 2008 and it went up $80 in January 2009. Just an FYI.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Its going to be a couple months before I buy, but I want to thank whom ever mentioned the GSSF member discount. I called the local LEO dealer that GSSF listed as one I can go to, and they keep the compacts (19 size) of all the calibers in stock for the GSSF. I was worried after reading some threads that I would have to order the gun to get that price due to some comments others on another board had said. I will be joining the GSSF and getting a Glock, plus I will trade in my Taurus .25 which means I could get a 19, 23,32 or one other one for around $300 before taxes. ($398 GSSF price, minus the $100 I figure I would get on trade makes it $298).
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

CZ's

75luver,

I love my CZ-75B. It's my favorite 9mm pistol on the market. It combines great traits from both the Sig Sauer P-210 and the Browning High Power - which in the end makes an awesome gun. Pure combat handgun. I think the trigger works for what the pistol was intended.

I have a regular CZ-75B with the black polycoat finish. My favorite. I have two pictures of mine over here in this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rry-gun-5.html

Take it easy.

Above all else get a piece that you know you can rely on and will function damn near flawlessly. A sticky situation is the worst time for a weapon to fail even if you can rack and tap like it's going out of style. I suggest saving up and buying a top tier gun, either HK or Sig.

Your welcome for the tip about the GSSF. Its a great organization and I plan on using the discount here shortly on a G19.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Your welcome for the tip about the GSSF. Its a great organization and I plan on using the discount here shortly on a G19.
    I am planning on joining next week when I get paid. As I said, the shop i like to use is also the LEO distributer here, and they said just bring the certificate and buy the gun, they keep them in stock. I read of lots of other places making the GSSF members order the gun so they would not have to take one out of inventory, which makes no since to me.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I will also say Sig P2022. I consider it Sig's unloved child. The best DA/SA trigger out of the box you can find. I just spent over $200 with shipping to make my CZ trigger better. I love my HKs but their trigger does not come close.

Accurate and reliable as a rock. Easy to manipulate slide. The only cons: You must not limp wrist and small hands may not like the grip size.

Try HK

I like them. They have a lot to choose from.
    If you don't like the grip on the USPs.
    The P2000, P30, HK45c, and HK45 have changable back straps.
    I'll be adding two more to the family in Nov.
    The XD is a great tool also. I carried a XD.40 for 4 years.
    If you're big on tight triggers look at Bersa..
    God Bless..
    American Bulldog, HK USPf.45Tac, HK45,
    HK USPc .45ss, SW-642ct, Sig556

(The Phantom Brigade)
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division

I think I am staying with Glock. Although i cannot say with absolute fact in these times, but they have proven themselves for me more than once. I owned Glock 19 for 4 years, and NEVER had an issue with it. That and the fact that another member filled me in on the GSSF discount, I cant pass up that kind of a deal. I have a Taurus PT25 that I carry now, its all I have, and it works, but I will trade that in on top of the discount and should get the Glock for under $300.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links