Researching next purchase

This is a discussion on Researching next purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in about November, our overtime will kick in for the holiday rush (I work for a major brand clothing company in the distribution center), ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching next purchase

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Researching next purchase

Here in about November, our overtime will kick in for the holiday rush (I work for a major brand clothing company in the distribution center), and I just maybe able to wing a QUALITY firearm with a DEADLY round (not this little .25 gun iv been flammed over). My checks will be about 30-50% more than they are now and at the very least, I will be able to lay something away until taxes come back.

I am wanting something that is sub compact or compact, under 4in is key. Im at a loss between the .45, 9mm and .357sig if I go automatic. Revolver would be nothing but a .357mag, so lets skip that in this thread.

I know its been discussed, and this is the ford vs. chevy thread per say, but what would be a decent weapon in those rounds, and what is ammo in the .45 and .357sig costing now days. I know what 9mm is costing, which is why I did not ask.

Im thinking either Glock or Xd, but not totally set. Again, I do not know what to expect to pay for anything over a 9mm (if I do a 9mm, it will more than likely be a G19 or G26).
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    At this date and time, the best bang for the buck is the Sig SP2022. It comes in 9mm and 40 S&W, albeit the 40 is difficult to find. Barrel length is 3.9 ins. Go on the Sig forum and check out the reviews.....I have yet to read a bad one!
    Products & Services

I just ordered one from Bud's, and at a price of $439 delivered, you can't even come close with any other Sig.

Other recommendations are: Glock 19 (9mm) around $500 new
    Glock 30 (45 auto) around $550

Good luck and enjoy the chase!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    The slogan Glock Perfection? It is in reference to the G19. It's down to either that or the M&P9 for my next purchase. Reliable, concealable, high capacity - what more could you ask for?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Police Trade Glock! Buckeye Outdoors gets them ALL the time!

Justtherenow, Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. .357 SIG practice ammo at wal-mart is around $23-$24 for a box of wwb(50 rounds). .45 is about the same price range. Glock 19/26 will run about $500-$529 without taxes in my neck of the woods. Take a look at CZ pistols. My P-01 has thus far been very reliable and very accurate. Yes, I am biased. SIG is another good option. Hope this helps.

Go to Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. and check it daily. You will find something you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'll second a CZ. I have a pcr and it is the perfect gun for me and has never given any problems.

Depends on what your preferences are though - striker vs DA/SA? Polymer vs. steel/aluminum? Is this going to be an all day carry item or an all around practical gun?

I only own glocks and CZs so my opinion is a little biased as well. But for all day carry, can't beat a glock. For all around best bang for the buck, can't beat a CZ (or glock ).

VIP Member
    Ammo cost, is one of the biggest reasons I have gone back to carrying a 9mm as my main EDC. With today's new high performance ammo designs, I don't really feel there is much difference between any of the major handgun calibers, if you do your part. So I would go with a 9mm, so the cost of practicing won't be prohibitive.

I have both the G19 and 26. If I had to chose one as my EDC, for all seasons and situations, it would be the G26. It is a little easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. I carry G19 mags as my extras when I carry the G26.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Ammo cost, is one of the biggest reasons I have gone back to carrying a 9mm as my main EDC. With today's new high performance ammo designs, I don't really feel there is much difference between any of the major handgun calibers, if you do your part. So I would go with a 9mm, so the cost of practicing won't be prohibitive.

I have both the G19 and 26. If I had to chose one as my EDC, for all seasons and situations, it would be the G26. It is a little easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. I carry G19 mags as my extras when I carry the G26.
    Have to 2nd that, and I EDC a G22, wish I could shoot more with it, but I have been taking my G17 out more often, these days.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Glock-36...dependability combined with conceal-ability...
    Yea, that's the ticket...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on the G19 \ or G26, i dont carry myself but theres been a least 4 other threads asking the same question and the G19\G26 always shines though, the G19 tends to come more reccomended.

9mm is cheap and you can practice lots.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious to hear what anyone thinks of the xd 3" in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by rugger8869 View Post
    i love my XD9sc.......
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

just throwing my hat in the ring.... Glock 26/27 or Glock 30 SF all are awesome. But depends on your grip/what meets your needs but you can't go wrong with any of those Glocks. :)
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rugger8869 View Post
    I just purchased a new XD9sub. Traded up from a Taurus Millenium Pro. Took it to the range an hour later after cleaning/lubing it.

Darn pistol shot better than I did. Shot 4 different loads/manufacturers through it. Whitebox 115gr. fmj, Blazer 115gr.fmj, GoldenSabre 124gr +P jhp, Winchester 147gr jhp. All fired flawlessly, 200 rounds later I'm sold on it and it will be IWB EDC.

Can't go wrong there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links