Defensive Carry banner

Any S&W 340PD owners?

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  B17 
#1 ·
Hey guys looking for some feedback good or bad on the s&w 340pd?

#3 ·
I own the M&P 340 it is a steel cylinder the PD is a titanium cylinder. Mine is 2oz heavier. My buddy had the titanium cylinder on his. I like mine because it comes standard with tritium Big Dot...and is generally cheaper.

#4 ·
I love mine, hardly ever carry the old 640 any more! :icon_biggrin:

#5 ·
I had the M&P 340 with the Crimson Trace Grips, same as Thumper. Basically the same gun with the heavier steel cylinder. (Yeah, heavier by only two ounces.) I carried it for about a year in a Mika Round Cut Pocket Holster, same as Thumper's. That combination is the way to go for front pocket carry.

I didn't care for the recoil when shooting .357, and that's what it was being carried with.

Below is a pic of the little beast after it gnawed on the knuckle of my thumb after only 7 rounds of full house .357 Magnum.

Sold it and got a Ruger SP-101. Don't let the picture scare you away from it! I just have really long thumbs and tended to take a thumb-high grip on the thing.

Thumper, nice combination backup rig!

#6 ·
Nothing carries better. See my avatar.
As a civilian, if I ever have to use it,
the distance would probably be 8 feet or closer.
At that distance, I have complete confidence
in Buffalo Bore 125 grain 38+P's.
For me, it's all about the ability to get off repeat shots quickly.
Having heard about some lead issues in the Scandium guns,
I want a jacketed bullet.
A close 2nd choice is Corbon DPX +P's.
The minimum bullet weight on the barrel is not an issue
with any 38 according to Smith & Wesson.
It only pertains to 357.

#7 ·
I carry the S&W 340PD almost every day. It is so lightweight and concealable, sometimes I forget I have it. I carry in the hot/humid Houston area and it even goes saltwater fishing with me. Still looks good. No corrosion issues. Tagua leather OWB and Uncle Smith pocket holsters.

It is a pocket cannon. Be careful with the magnum loads as the recoil may surprise you. (I have big arms/wrists and it's no problem with a tight grip.)

I'm considering adding a night sight to the front. I have them on my Kimber Pro Carry and it would be nice on the 340PD.

Highly recommended.

#8 ·
I should add... I too carry +P 38's in mine having had the exact same experience as ccwguy. I like Gold Dot .38 SPL +P 135gr Short Barrel ammo and so does the Smithy! :wink:

#9 ·
I carry a 340PD with 125gr full power .357 ammo (Fed 357B). I use the grips that come standard on the S&W 640. I cut them off to boot grip length for pocket carry. These grips cover the backstrap and give me the right reach to the trigger. The gun's weight is hardly affected, and pocket carry works fine. (I would NEVER shoot full power .357 in the 340PD with those little grips that come with the gun, or even with Uncle Mike's boot grips. I don't think I could control the recoil.)

B17

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.