Anyone pocket carry an SP101?

This is a discussion on Anyone pocket carry an SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious. The new LCR looks somewhat appealing, but I just can't get past the fact that it's a .380. I need my .357 or ...

Thread: Anyone pocket carry an SP101?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Anyone pocket carry an SP101?

Just curious. The new LCR looks somewhat appealing, but I just can't get past the fact that it's a .380. I need my .357 or .45, personally.

But do you find the SP101 (hammerless or not) workable for the pocket?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

I have the hammerless SP-101 and have tried it out as a pocket model. Just won't work for me. Too doggone big and heavy for the pocket. FWIW
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Nope. The price you pay for the anvil-tough, light-recoil qualities of the SP101 is...a very compact boat anchor. A good belt & holster makes everything tote just fine.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Just curious. The new LCR looks somewhat appealing, but I just can't get past the fact that it's a .380. I need my .357 or .45, personally.

I have the S&W M60, I think it's about an ounce less than the SP101, fits real good in either front or back pocket. I carry it in my back pocket, in a pocket holster, hardly know it's there. The pocket holster makes a big difference.

I pocket carry a 2 1/4" DAO SP101 on a regular basis in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It works just fine for me. Its heavy for a small revolver, but not nearly as heavy as many other carry guns. It all depends on what one can live with.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Used to...it was heavy but I like knowing it was there. Have since switched to a Don Humme OWB, much better! I love my SP101.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You have to shop for pants with the right pockets, and wear a good belt to hold them up, but yes, an SP101 can work in a pocket rig. I have pocket-carried two SP101 snubbies at the same time, in Wrangler Riata slacks. Riatas are like Dockers, but Wrangler is not anti-gun like Levi Strauss, which markets Dockers.

Patagonia Stand-Up Shorts will accommodate pocketed SP101s, too.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that once a fight starts, getting your hand into a pocket, and then getting the gun back out, can be a formidable challenge. Like ankle carry, pocket carry is good for ONE gun, but not your ONLY gun.

A bit heavy in the pocket. Hence I carried in IWB holster. That will leave imprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    You have to shop for pants with the right pockets, and wear a good belt to hold them up, but yes, an SP101 can work in a pocket rig.
    Agreed.

I pocket carry an SP-101 often now in a Mika pocket holster. With the right pants, it's easy to forget the gun is there.

I carried today in cargo jeans, and tonight in black dress jeans. I like the quick access of pocket carry.

Also, when I drive, it's easy to remove and tightly wedge the holster between the two front seats for quick access while driving. Then when I arrive somewhere, slip gun and holster back in my pocket.

I like it so much I'm thinking of switching it to my dominant hand and considering it my primary.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I've done it 'loose' - I don't do that very often any more as I *really* want the trigger covered. But it is certainly doable if you have larger pockets and are on the portly side. Not sure about those guys who are the size I would like to be, though.

VIP Member

Works, with a 3&1/16 barrel one needs a deep pocket or a small rag stuffed in the top of the pocket. I would guess the shorter barrel would not need the rag. I have a normal hammer.

Thanks, everyone. I already have a 3-inch GP100, but I hadn't handled an SP101 in a while. If they ever add a few ounces to the LCR and make it in .357 magnum, I'll look again.

-miklcolt45

Just for the record the Ruger LCR is a .38 SPL rated for +P rounds. Hardly a pud cartridge. It is not a .380 acp. (don't know if you had a typo or not)

I have a DAO SP-101 .357 mag. I have pocket carried it a lot but it really depends on the attire.

I also pocket carry an XD9sc with 10 round mag so not sure of the weight difference but I would say the XD is a little heavier with loaded mag.

For me, I can manage either one in pocket carry but it does depend on clothing being worn.

I am one who never liked a lot of weight in my pockets but when it comes to a gun and having a good fighting caliber, I suffered through until I got used to the bulk.

Presently, since getting the Ruger LCP which is in .380 acp I have mainly used that for pocket carry these days and moved the SP-101 or XD9sc out of the pocket carry mode. I do still carry the SP-101 for a BUG from time to time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Just for the record the Ruger LCR is a .38 SPL rated for +P rounds. Hardly a pud cartridge. It is not a .380 acp. (don't know if you had a typo or not)
    No, it's not a pud but it's still not a .357 magnum. Maybe it's just a psychological thing with me. I need my .357 magnum or .45 ACP.

EDIT: You're right about the typo. I was thinking briefly about the LCP.

-miklcolt45

Links