Kel-Tek PF 9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tek PF 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold one of the LCP's I had and now I'm looking at the PF9 .. Just looking for some opinions .......

Thread: Kel-Tek PF 9

Kel-Tek PF 9

I sold one of the LCP's I had and now I'm looking at the PF9 .. Just looking for some opinions ....

2. Remove Ads

I'd save another hundred or so bucks and look at the Kahr CW9. A little over $400 and change. Much better quality than the Kel-Tec. IMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    I have one and i like it, thin, light, decent accuracy, recoil isn't too bad, but it is light so it makes it worse. 50 rds ok, 100rds sore finger and hand, 200 rds... only did that once to give it a harsh breakin, no cleaning inbetween and had no prob's. Mine does not like 124 grain hp's, I use 115 xtp's. I have heard Kahr's have a high breaking period, my KT was good to go from first round, I put 100 in it, cleaned put 50 hp's through it, cleaned it, next time out I did some 124's to see if they would feed, then ran 200 rds (about 3 mags of hp and the rest fmj) no prob, field stripped, and good to go. I may at somepoint buy another if a deal presents itself.

I have one and carry it just about every day. I have said it before - it is not a fun range gun. I think most of the bugs have been worked out and feel comfortable carrying it for protection.

I carried a PF-9 for a couple of years. I was very happy with it. It's light, easily concealable almost anywhere on your body, reliable, and accurate at reasonable gun-fighting ranges. I had about 2,000 rounds through mine with no, -0-, failures. I never needed to do the "fluff 'n' buff. My only real complaint was that it does kick like a drunken mule. Ya gotta hold on to the little sucker.

So, if I liked it so much, why don't I still carry it? I wanted something a littler larger, with more round count, and a lighter trigger. The Springer XD9SC fit my needs perfectly. Would I bye and carry a PF-9 again? Absolutely.

Here's my take:
    PF9; Length, 5.85"
    Width, .88"
    Height, 4.3"
    Capacity, 7+1

P11; Length, 5.6"
    Width; 1"
    Height; 4.3"
    Capacity, 10+1 (12+1 with factory hi-cap mag)

IMHO, the PF9 is still to chunky to pocket carry ALL the time. That's why I still have an LCP. With the PF9 versus the P11, you get a .12" (slightly less than 1/8 of an inch) thinner pistol that's ever so slightly longer and has less capacity to boot. I'm a lover of Kel-Tec and the P11, but I'm just not a PF9 fan. I think it seeks to fill a niche that's just not really there. JMHO.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Bought one of the very first PF-9s and have never had a fail to chamber or fail to fire. Really comes in handy when I need deep concealment. Usually I carry a M&P 40c during the summer and a 1911 during cold weather, but when going to the doctor the PF-9 fills the bill.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd save another hundred or so bucks and look at the Kahr CW9. A little over $400 and change. Much better quality than the Kel-Tec. IMO
    +1, very good advice.......save some money and get the higher quality handgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

It KICKS. I bought one with the intention of giving it to my wife but after shooting it I knew she wouldn't like it so I sold it and bought a 2nd xd9sc. I did buy a Taurus hammerless .38 Ultra Lite today. I can already tell that it'll CC just as easily as the PF9 did.

I carry a PF9 and sometimes P3AT both have worked well. As to trigger that some object to so much, I believe most folks who regularly shoot 1911s with its nice trigger would object to about any other style of trigger action. As for me I never really liked the trigger on 1911s and don't mine the long trigger on the Kel Tecs or the snap of the trigger reset. My Kel Tecs both go bang every time and I like them.

Ron
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone shoot a PF-9 and a snub nose revolver? I am curious as to the difference, if any, in the felt recoil between the two guns. Is the kick of the PF-9 much greater then that of the snub?

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone shoot a PF-9 and a snub nose revolver? I am curious as to the difference, if any, in the felt recoil between the two guns. Is the kick of the PF-9 much greater then that of the snub?

Thanks.
    My PF 9 and my S&W Model 36 (38 Cal) are about the same in perceived recoil. In my opinion, both are very manageable and enjoyable to shoot.

Hope that helps,
    MN

Go with the PF-9. Kahrs are prettier, but the grip is strange. the slide too bulky and square, and they feel top heavy, like a HiPoint. Just my opinion.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    My PF 9 and my S&W Model 36 (38 Cal) are about the same in perceived recoil. In my opinion, both are very manageable and enjoyable to shoot.

Hope that helps,.
    MN
    Thanks for the feedback. That was very helpfu.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Links