H & K and lead slugs

H & K and lead slugs

This is a discussion on H & K and lead slugs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to reload for my H&K USPc .40 S&W and I've been told not to use lead slugs (non jacketed) as HK advises against ...

Thread: H & K and lead slugs

H & K and lead slugs

I'm starting to reload for my H&K USPc .40 S&W and I've been told not to use lead slugs (non jacketed) as HK advises against it because of the rifling or some such.

I've read the owners manual backwards and forwards and can find nothing on the use of lead slugs other than the CYA "don't use handloaded ammo" statement.

I can get lead way cheaper than jacketed, and sure would prefer to go that route for IDPA and practice ammo.

Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Dave
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Here's a previous thread from this very forum. It's a few years old, but it's still here in the archives.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-bullets.html
    You can Google more about polygonal rifled barrels and using lead bullets. Glocks are the same way if that eases your mind any. Get an aftermarket barrel for your matches would be the best bet. Heck...most of the aftermarket barrels for Glock run around $100. A stock Glock barrel will cost you $150+. Better safe than sorry.

Ram Rod, thanks for the info, after a little searching, I found an EFK barrel but it doesn't say what the rifling is on it. Any suggestions for where to find barrels?

Thanks
    Dave
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    One needs only to clean the barrel after use. HK does not prohibit lead bullets except in the P7 because of the potential to clog the gas port, and that is clearly stated in the manual. No other HKs have a gas port like the P7. I shoot lead from my HK barrels with no ill effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Ram Rod, thanks for the info, after a little searching, I found an EFK barrel but it doesn't say what the rifling is on it. Any suggestions for where to find barrels?

Thanks
    Dave
    Jarvis is what I use for high quality match grade barrels for HK USP that you can use lead and not worry Jarvis Inc. offers handgun barrels & 22 conversion units.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Id reccomend using CMJ projectiles, specifically Frontier brand, they are cheap (i pay $80US per 1000) and the copper coating is far thicker than other copper washed ones.

These projectiles are also swagged lead as opposed to cast, not as hard as cast lead but more uniform in size and weight.

I run them through all my Glocks with no issues and zero leading. Great practice rounds and also used by Competition shooters world wide. Loadings are the same as FMJ 4.3-5.0gr universal powder, ive been finding 4.65gr the optimal.

as for the "don't use handloaded ammo", personally I would trust my handloads from my single stage press over any cheap mass produced ammo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links