Defensive Carry banner

For .45'er's out there; Normal carry = FMJ, HP's or Other?

• FMJ

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • HP

Votes: 180 90.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.5%

For .45'er's out there

4K views 51 replies 48 participants last post by  stripperclip 
#1 ·
How many use hardball FMJ's as your normal carry round and how many use Hollowpoint or other?

#21 ·
Well, I'd always assumed everyone carried HP's or some other expandable round but recently heard someone say they carried hardball - same stuff they practiced with - their take in it was; "Heck, it's already BIG" like even with NO expansion.

Just got me wondering if they were the very rare exception or if there were others out there who felt the same and carried with FMJ hardball too.

#10 ·
Hollowpoint, because I care enough to send the very best.:smile:

#12 ·
I believe that the ONLY legit reason to carry FMJ rounds in your carry pistol is because your pistol will not reliably feed JHP rounds. Some may claim they want greater penetration with an FMJ -- but, studies show that FMJs will go through your target and continue onward toward perhaps a second target.

If I had a pistol that would not reliably feed JHPs, then I would not use that pistol as a carry piece.

#13 ·
FMJ. If it's good enough for Clint Smith, it's good enough for me. I must be reading stuff that Nova isn't, because what I've read says .45 doesn't go fast enough (especially out of a short barrel) to make a HP expand.

#16 ·
FMJ. If it's good enough for Clint Smith, it's good enough for me. I must be reading stuff that Nova isn't, because what I've read says .45 doesn't go fast enough (especially out of a short barrel) to make a HP expand.
I'm willing to bet you've read this article before...

"In .45 caliber, the matured Federal Hydra-Shok design is something of a gold standard, and the Winchester SXT, Remington Golden Saber, and CCI Gold Dot also have delivered impressive performance in the field. These bullets reliably open up and get the job done. In .45 Auto, the 230-grain bullet at some 880 foot seconds has become standard in police work."

Choose your ammo...police style by Massad Ayoob Issue #93

#14 ·
Typically carry 230gr. JHP's. Would not hesitate to carry FMJ in my 1911. The only FMJ round approved by my old LE department was 45acp. All other calibers req'd the use of JHP's. Sometimes my extra mag is loaded with FMJ.

#17 ·
Speer Gold Dot 230 grainers or Winchester Rangers in the same weight. FMJ's offer way too much penetration and are a big time danger as they will penetrate a human and take out the next one behind them. Been many a cop killed or seriously injured by their fellow officers FMJ's going through the bad guy and hittting them.

Saw with my own eyes a 115 gr. WWB 9mm penetrate a whole house which included 4 walls, 2 hollow doors, a door jam and exit out the garage wall.

#26 ·
Always HPs in my P220. I use FMJs for range only.

#28 ·
Yup, I like HST's, DPX, TAP and Gold Dot usually in 230gr. (Not necessarily in that order.):smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.