G27 or G23?

This is a discussion on G27 or G23? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided I need a .40 carry pistol. Everytime I go looking for 9mm ammo, I find plenty of .40 cal in my area. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G27 or G23?

G27 or G23?

I have decided I need a .40 carry pistol. Everytime I go looking for 9mm ammo, I find plenty of .40 cal in my area. I am an advocate of carrying as much pistol as you can shoot accurately. I have shot both these pistols, and liked them both. The G23 felt better in my hand, and yet I was more accurate with the G27. Having never shot a .40, I was pleased to find that the recoil of both pistols wasn't nearly as violent as I had been lead to believe. They both seemed fairly easy to get back on target after the first shot, and doubles with both guns were as accurate as my shooting skills deserved, (and yes, I realize I was shooting target ammo) My conundrum is which do I get? I want this to be a CCW gun, and I can't afford both. Any advice from anyone who has tried both, has had both, or who carry both, and how you carry them, would be greatly appreciated.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry the 23 and love it besides my sig
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Buy them both. In all seriousness, rent/borrow them both if possible and see which one fits you and like best.

I have both, but if I could only keep one it would be the 27. I do prefer shooting the 23, but the 27 isn't a lot different and is easier to conceal. The size difference isn't that big, but when carrying in a supertuck or in a don hume 721 the shorter grip stays a little tighter to the body. If you always wear a lot of loose fitting overshirts or are a bigger sized guy then the 23 probably would be easy enough to conceal. I tend to wear my clothes to fit so it's a little harder to conceal without some effort. You can't go wrong with either which is why I have both.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have both and I prefer to carry the 23. I like the longer grip, and easy purchase. Not a great deal of difficulty to conceal it in my M-Tac holster, but I do tend to wear loosely fitting clothes.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Go with what you shot best. Honestly, the size difference is minimal. I know others here will say otherwise. With a good IWB the slide length is handled and the 3/4" difference in the grip length is very minimal. My personal feeling is that I want to carry the largest frame I can get away with. Less fumbling and more intimidating in a BAD situation.

Either way you go, it will be an excellent choice. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Have them both and carry them both. I started out with the G27 originally for carry about ten years ago, but I do seem to carry my G23 more now since I got it. I can conceal it just as well as the G27. I'm actually a bit more accurate with my G23 and it fits my hand better. The Glock 40S&W pistols seem to have very good inherent accuracy. I'll save the G27 for the really deep concealment days.

VIP Member
    Had 'em both and I'd go with the 23.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have both the compact G19 and the subcompact G26. If I could only have one it would be the 26. You can always use the larger mags in the smaller pistol, and even insert the longer barrel if you really wanted to. You can make the smaller gun bigger, but not the other way 'round.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My daily carry is a 27, it is super accurate for a sub-compact and it is very comfortable to shoot. It hides very well in a Don Hume H721 pancake holster even under just a dark tee shirt.

This was my 1st Glock and I liked it so well, 6 months later I bought a G 22 RTF.
    Proud NRA member

both....
    that what i have...

the 27 is smaller and lighter for carry... the 23 is a good midsize that cover CCW and a good house/range gun

so, i would get the 27 1st, then save for a used 23

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have both the compact G19 and the subcompact G26. If I could only have one it would be the 26. You can always use the larger mags in the smaller pistol, and even insert the longer barrel if you really wanted to. You can make the smaller gun bigger, but not the other way 'round.
    That's what I did with my G33. I carry it with a 9rd mag w/GAP floorplate and my backup mag is a 15rd G32 mag. For the range/HD I just slap A&G adapters on the G32 mags. My buddy has a G32 and while it's very nice, I prefer my G33 if I could only have one.

I have a G19 which is the same thing as a G23 except caliber. I don't like the "baby glocks" much myself. I need a bit more gun. They have their place, but they aren't my choice.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have both. I got the 27 1st. I shoot the 23 better and it is almost as easy to conceal as the 27. It's a hard choice. Try both and then YOU decide!
    Let us know which one! Both are great guns - you can not make a bad choice.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I have both and probably like shooting the G23 better. However, I got used to carrying the G27 this summer since it is slightly easier to conceal. Not sure if I'll go back to the G23 this winter or not. I put Pierce mag extesions on my G27 mags so my pinky has a place to go. It does not really make it any harder to conceal and allows for a better grip. I do carry an G22 mag with a slide on grip extension as my spare magazine.

Like others, you should get both (eventually) so you have some options. The question is which should you get first and I don't think it really matters.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links