Defensive Carry banner

G27 or G23?

4K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  XD 45 
#1 ·
I have decided I need a .40 carry pistol. Everytime I go looking for 9mm ammo, I find plenty of .40 cal in my area. I am an advocate of carrying as much pistol as you can shoot accurately. I have shot both these pistols, and liked them both. The G23 felt better in my hand, and yet I was more accurate with the G27. Having never shot a .40, I was pleased to find that the recoil of both pistols wasn't nearly as violent as I had been lead to believe. They both seemed fairly easy to get back on target after the first shot, and doubles with both guns were as accurate as my shooting skills deserved, (and yes, I realize I was shooting target ammo) My conundrum is which do I get? I want this to be a CCW gun, and I can't afford both. Any advice from anyone who has tried both, has had both, or who carry both, and how you carry them, would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

#4 ·
I have both, but if I could only keep one it would be the 27. I do prefer shooting the 23, but the 27 isn't a lot different and is easier to conceal. The size difference isn't that big, but when carrying in a supertuck or in a don hume 721 the shorter grip stays a little tighter to the body. If you always wear a lot of loose fitting overshirts or are a bigger sized guy then the 23 probably would be easy enough to conceal. I tend to wear my clothes to fit so it's a little harder to conceal without some effort. You can't go wrong with either which is why I have both. :smile:

#6 ·
Go with what you shot best. Honestly, the size difference is minimal. I know others here will say otherwise. With a good IWB the slide length is handled and the 3/4" difference in the grip length is very minimal. My personal feeling is that I want to carry the largest frame I can get away with. Less fumbling and more intimidating in a BAD situation.

Either way you go, it will be an excellent choice. Good luck.

#7 ·
Have them both and carry them both. I started out with the G27 originally for carry about ten years ago, but I do seem to carry my G23 more now since I got it. I can conceal it just as well as the G27. I'm actually a bit more accurate with my G23 and it fits my hand better. The Glock 40S&W pistols seem to have very good inherent accuracy. I'll save the G27 for the really deep concealment days.

#9 ·
I have both the compact G19 and the subcompact G26. If I could only have one it would be the 26. You can always use the larger mags in the smaller pistol, and even insert the longer barrel if you really wanted to. You can make the smaller gun bigger, but not the other way 'round.

#12 ·
That's what I did with my G33. I carry it with a 9rd mag w/GAP floorplate and my backup mag is a 15rd G32 mag. For the range/HD I just slap A&G adapters on the G32 mags. My buddy has a G32 and while it's very nice, I prefer my G33 if I could only have one.

#10 ·
My daily carry is a 27, it is super accurate for a sub-compact and it is very comfortable to shoot. It hides very well in a Don Hume H721 pancake holster even under just a dark tee shirt.

This was my 1st Glock and I liked it so well, 6 months later I bought a G 22 RTF.

#13 ·
I have a G19 which is the same thing as a G23 except caliber. I don't like the "baby glocks" much myself. I need a bit more gun. They have their place, but they aren't my choice.

#14 ·
I have both. I got the 27 1st. I shoot the 23 better and it is almost as easy to conceal as the 27. It's a hard choice. Try both and then YOU decide!
Let us know which one! Both are great guns - you can not make a bad choice.

#15 ·
I have both and probably like shooting the G23 better. However, I got used to carrying the G27 this summer since it is slightly easier to conceal. Not sure if I'll go back to the G23 this winter or not. I put Pierce mag extesions on my G27 mags so my pinky has a place to go. It does not really make it any harder to conceal and allows for a better grip. I do carry an G22 mag with a slide on grip extension as my spare magazine.

Like others, you should get both (eventually) so you have some options. The question is which should you get first and I don't think it really matters.

#16 ·
I have had both. The G27 was what I call a"neither nor" it was neither a pocket pistol(too bulky) nor a belt pistol (too small). When I pocket carry , I carry a 642, when I belt carry it is either a 640 or my G23.

#17 ·
For CC, I would go with the G27. I have the G23 and find it's just to large overall for my particular CC taste. It's mainly to thick, but the height is another one of my concerns. I like to stay concealed and for me it's paramount that my pistol remain unnoticed.:bier:

Oh, great SD round IMO.

#20 ·
The thick GLOCK grip seems (subjectively) more comfortable to me with just a tad more length. So I like & shoot the G19/23 better than I do the G26/27. IMHO, the G23 is small enough to (easily) conceal carry and big enough to (easily) fight with.

#21 ·
I have both also, I tended to carry the 27 until I got a Comp-tac Minotaur which made it just as practical to carry the 23 because it was just as easy to conceal. I still switch back and forth probably carrying the 27 more in the summer and the 23 more in the winter.

#23 ·
glock 27 all the way

I have a G 27 with laser grips and you can not ask for anything sweeter than that!!!. Where ever you find your self positioned you have more control on the target, you only have to see the DOT. The glock 27 ,40cal. also has the stopping power. The local police carry 40 cal.

#25 ·
I carry my G23 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I rented both guns before buying and shot them equally. I found the 27 just a little too small for my liking, mostly b/c of my pinky hanging off the end. By the time you add the mag extension, you're just about the same dimensions as a 23. I do have plans to purchase a Supertuck IWB holster soon to increase ease of CC. With appropriate dress, the 23 is very ease to conceal even OWB.

#26 ·
I have the 27 and love it. I bought it as a BUG, and found it work's just as well as a primary.

I pocket carry it in cargos all the time.

IMO which ever one you choose, you won't be left felling like you should have bought the other one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.