Thinking about trading 3 for 1...am I nuts?

This is a discussion on Thinking about trading 3 for 1...am I nuts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing some serious thinking about trading 3 of my handguns that I don't really carry or fire that much, for one that I've ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about trading 3 for 1...am I nuts?

I've been doing some serious thinking about trading 3 of my handguns that I don't really carry or fire that much, for one that I've had my eye on for quite awhile. Sometimes I find ask myself WTH am I thinking , and other times I think it's a great idea. The one I want would be used for daily CC. In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the three and buy the new one without a trade, but I'm finding that trying to buy ammo for so many different calibers is a pain in the butt. Thoughts?

So here's what I want to trade.

Glock 23 .40
    SCYY CPX-1 9mm
    Ruger LCP .360

all of these have less than 100 rounds through them.

What I want to trade them for?

an FN Five-Seven

Why the Five-Seven? 20+1 round capability and I think the 5.7 round is just really cool. I think it would be like shooting a mini M-4. Oh, and FYI, for large caliber protection I'm going to keep my Taurus Judge.

Thanks for any feedback.
    I believe the best social program is a JOB

The 5.7 is a mean round, 20 in the clip is excellent, barely any recoil, and it weighs less than most 9mm guns. I've had my eye on it also. Oh, and it's a great home range gun considering the round has no lead in it! Seems a bit big for carry though. I'm with you all the way, even if slightly jellous!

How difficult is it to find 5.7 ammo? I can't say I usually see any around here. If I had to trade three pistols, and these three were the only pistols I owned at the time, for something I really wanted, then I'd probably have to want it less (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?).

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Does this;
    Glock 23 .40 + SCYY CPX-1 9mm + Ruger LCP .360 = A FN FiveSeven?

That depends on what you paid for the guns you're trading. It looks like about a $900 deal to me. The FiveSeven typically sells for about that, sometimes more, so it may be a fair, or at least fair enough trade to make it financially equal.

Many indoor ranges do not allow the 5.7 round.

Have you had a chance to shoot one? In a nutshell, they are;
    accurate, light weight, reliable, low in recoil, produce a huge flash, and sound like a cannon. It's a little large to carry but any gun can be carried if you want to bad enough.

Ammo has been pretty available, one of the few that didn't double in price. There are several varieties available. I've seen ammo as low as $15 and as high as $30. It mostly goes for between $18 and $22.

Only you can decide if it's a fair deal. The FiveSeven is a quality gun, no doubt, but my advise would be to consider whether you can get as much enjoyment out of it as the other three.

Administrator
    Yeah, thats a dumb trade. The FN is neat, but thats about it. I promise you will get less use out of it than your trading fodder.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah definitely not a wise trade IMO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Not a good trade IMO. Maybe the Glock and the LCP, or the SCYY CPX and the LCP, but not all three. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    I have some friends who have it and I would say it is more a novelty gun for me... Neat round, neat idea, but if it were that great, spec ops, swat and others would switch to it. For about the same size gun you can get an XDM which will hold your 20 and save 500 bucks (a glock or the other 2, this would get you to 2 kinds of ammo also). There are also high cap (13-15) guns that size which take 357sig, 40, & 45. Same situation if its me, I wouldn't. If I want a novelty gun I just start skimping on lunches, saving change, doing odd jobs to pay for it. By then I have usually changed my mind.

However we are all different, it is your money, and you have the choice, chose wisely my friend.

VIP Member
    It's your equipment, do as you please. Personally I wouldn't trade/sell any GLOCK unless I had spares. Maybe save a little more and hang on to G23.

Good luck.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by douggr View Post
    I've been doing some serious thinking about trading 3 of my handguns that I don't really carry or fire that much, for one that I've had my eye on for quite awhile. Sometimes I find ask myself WTH am I thinking , and other times I think it's a great idea. The one I want would be used for daily CC. In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the three and buy the new one without a trade, but I'm finding that trying to buy ammo for so many different calibers is a pain in the butt. Thoughts?

So here's what I want to trade.

Glock 23 .40
    SCYY CPX-1 9mm
    Ruger LCP .360

all of these have less than 100 rounds through them.

What I want to trade them for?

an FN Five-Seven

Why the Five-Seven? 20+1 round capability and I think the 5.7 round is just really cool. I think it would be like shooting a mini M-4. Oh, and FYI, for large caliber protection I'm going to keep my Taurus Judge.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Never heard of a LCP .360 but I have heard of a .380

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If it makes you happy do it!...I personally wouldn't do it, But I don't have the hots for a 5.7.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

accurate, light weight, reliable, low in recoil, produce a huge flash, and sound like a cannon

Sounds like a cannon? Where you shooting in your bathroom?

am I nuts?
    Not if it makes you happy.

But I'd keep the three and buy the FN too.

I certainly would not do the trade. But, it's your stuff. You gotta live with any remorse afterwards.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would trade for a reliable carry gun that ammo is readily available for, spare parts are commonplace, such as a Kimber 1911 variation.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links