Anyone here have a Taurus PT745?

This is a discussion on Anyone here have a Taurus PT745? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the single stack 6+1 .45 in the slimline configuration. The situation is.... I went to a gun shop today to check with them ...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

This is the single stack 6+1 .45 in the slimline configuration.

The situation is.... I went to a gun shop today to check with them about price and availability on this pistol. Well, I stepped away while the guy was checking and when I got back, he had ordered one! He said he went ahead and got it on the way and if I don't like it when it arrives, no problem because he'll just put it in the case for sale.

I intend to pocket carry this gun, but generally NOT in public. No, the idea here is a smaller pistol that I can easily slip into the front pocket when hanging out at home. Like when I go out to mow the yard, I can just toss it in the pocket or when I step outside at night.

They did have the PT145 in stock. This is the double-stack 10+1 version. I asked if I could slip it in my pocket and he said, "sure." Even this double-stack version felt workable, but the single should be much more accomodating.

I also want to get a nylon pocket holster for it. Yes, nylon, because it'll be almost exclusively for carrying around the house and nylon will offer some moisture protection.

Anyone have this pistol?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Oh, and I forgot this part. It has a manual thumb safety. Yes, I love that. I handled the PT145 in the store and the low-profile thumb safety feels excellent.

Also, this pistol is now SA/DA while the older models were DAO.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I have one in a front pocket kydex holster. I carry in public every day. No problem around rural Missouri. Entire carry package is 29.5 ounces. I will let you know how long the pockets last.

I started because ammo for practice with the .380 dried up. Since .45 ammo was available, I started pocketing the PT745 and find I like it. Pocket carry with a stiff belt is natural and easy for me. It is less likely to get caught in something as I work in the woods or around the house.

I finally had to make a kydex holster to get a smooth repeatable draw. I used the 0.093 inch kydex. I am going to try the 0.06 inch kydex for the next pocket holster.

ntg
    Just curious...where do you get your kydex? I've thought of making a holster myself but don't want a huge sheet (4' x 8' I think). An thing to know or consider before molding and playing with kydex?

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Just curious...where do you get your kydex? I've thought of making a holster myself but don't want a huge sheet (4' x 8' I think). An thing to know or consider before molding and playing with kydex?
    NorthCoast Knives Supplies3

Great service. Seems like they shipped the same day they got the order.

There are some great tutorials on these forums and on the net.
    This is the one I followed:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...x-holster.html

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Oh, and I forgot this part. It has a manual thumb safety. Yes, I love that. I handled the PT145 in the store and the low-profile thumb safety feels excellent.

Also, this pistol is now SA/DA while the older models were DAO.
    The thumb safety is attractive for me also. It works with my muscle memory from the past when I did shoot frequently.

My PT745 has a very nice light SA squeeze. I really like it. However, I am not a gun man in the sense that I have shot anything on the market today. Everything for sale today may be the same or better. The PT745 trigger is much better than the run of the mill issue 1911s the Navy had forty years ago. Which were probably left over from WWII.

It also may be that I didn't take the best care of my weapons. I never had a pistol in my hand until I went into the service. I don't recall getting much instruction on care and cleaning. I just did what I did as a kid with the hunting rifles and shotguns. Seems like the battalion just had two gunners mates and neither of them were on our detail or came to see us. In the SEABEES it is all about getting the work-in-place. Anything else was just something to get out of the way.

If you make your own,Make sure you fill the rear of the trigger gaurde before heat shrinking so it dont catch trigger while holstering ; ) H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

A 745 Pro is my main carry gun (in a Crossbreed SuperTuck). I also have a 24/7 OSS DS 9mm and it also fits the same holster which is nice.

Great gun, I own one. However, its anything BUT a pocket gun, unless you have extremely large pockets. But you did say you tried out the double stack in your pocket.

As to a safety on a carry gun, I have mixed feelings. Under intense pressure, it would be extremely easy to forget about the safety and pull the trigger with no boom. Some safeties go up, some go down. Good luck if your other gun's safety is the reverse. A split second is all the other guy needs.

Quote Originally Posted by p3at View Post
    Great gun, I own one. However, its anything BUT a pocket gun, unless you have extremely large pockets. But you did say you tried out the double stack in your pocket.
    This is strictly for providing an extra layer of security around the house, like stepping outside to smoke (yeah, yeah, I know), etc... I have a Ruger GP100, an XD .45 Compact, and a Colt Defender. The Ruger and the Springfield are totally unworkable for a quick slip into the pocket, while the Defender will snag like crazy when cocked and locked. So... I like the PT745 for this purpose.

If I decide to carry it elsewhere, it'll be IWB, but this probably won't happen because that's what the XD is for. I agree with you; I can't see this Taurus not printing somewhat in the pocket. But on my own property, that's not such a huge deal.

I considered the LCP at one point, but I just can't get over the whole .380 thing. Plus, .380 ammo being scarce these days influenced my decision, as well.

-miklcolt45

I own this pistol. I highly recommend it. I have a few hundred rounds through it and it has been 100% reliable and fun to shoot.

I did replace the sights with Williams Fire Sights but, out of the box, it is a great little concealed carry size .45. Though for me, a bit large for "Pocket Carry", it certainly could be carried that way. (I prefer a modified belly band under my shirt but that's a whole "nother" thread.) Moreover, I have a fine selection of true "Pocket Pistols" for "Pocket Carry" which, BTW, are my EDC choices.

Bottom line though: Go for it! I think you'll be pleased.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
    I own this pistol. I highly recommend it. I have a few hundred rounds through it and it has been 100% reliable and fun to shoot.

I did replace the sights with Williams Fire Sights but, out of the box, it is a great little concealed carry size .45. Though for me, a bit large for "Pocket Carry", it certainly could be carried that way. (I prefer a modified belly band under my shirt but that's a whole "nother" thread.) Moreover, I have a fine selection of true "Pocket Pistols" for "Pocket Carry" which, BTW, are my EDC choices.

Bottom line though: Go for it! I think you'll be pleased.
    I totally agree that this isn't a gun that one would normally pick as a pocket gun, but the only place it'll be carried that way is around my house. Anywhere else will be IWB if I even carry it anywhere else.

The store had a PT145 in stock, the double stack 10+1 version. It felt fine in my front pocket, so the single stack should work a bit better.

Plus, I've found a few pocket holsters that specify this model so there must be others who have a similar idea.

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I carry a 745 in a SmartCarry... I think this is a little heavy for a pocket, though...

Just a hint on your new piece... tear it down and lube it up thoroughly and generously... mine shipped bone dry and had several failures the first time at the range. Took it back "wet" and after about twenty or thirty rounds, it started working very reliably. Can't say I like the sights, but I do like the package... small, light, and .45 cal so it has some thump... I like mine...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I carry a 745 in a SmartCarry... I think this is a little heavy for a pocket, though...

Just a hint on your new piece... tear it down and lube it up thoroughly and generously... mine shipped bone dry and had several failures the first time at the range. Took it back "wet" and after about twenty or thirty rounds, it started working very reliably. Can't say I like the sights, but I do like the package... small, light, and .45 cal so it has some thump... I like mine...
    Thanks. Yeah, I've been warned about that. It just so happens that I won't get to shoot it until a few days after I get it, so that should provide plenty of time for a clean and lube.

-miklcolt45

Links